Gtx 480 upgrade install help :D

wilsamacgilsa

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hey i want to upgrade my gts 250 to a gtx 480 :O :D

Could anyone run me through how to do it, like uninstalling drivers and safe mode etc.

I think it goes like this

1) Unplug all wires, take off side panel and remove the old gfx card via the clip by the pci-e slot and unscrewing the bracket

2) Install the new card by pressing it into the slot and putting the screw in the bracket

3) Replug all the wires and power on the system

4) Wait for it to load in uber low res x)

5) Install the drivers off the cd

6) Reboot and install the latest drivers of nvidia's website.

7) /faceroll :D

I think thats it but im a noob to all this pc assembling so any help would be amazing

Thanks and peace x

I would skip the drivers on the CD, and instead only install the latest from the Nvidia website. You will need to install the new drivers right after you boot up for the first time. Your procedure looks about right.

wilsamacgilsa

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
So i could do this

1) install newest drivers for the gts 250 on the site

2) uninstall the gts 250 and install the gtx 480

3) turn it on and itll be ready to go? :D

I would not worry about updating the drivers for your old card. I would also not assume it will plug and play with the old drivers, even if they are compatible. The PC will still need to install drivers for your new hardware. So, take out the old card, install the new card (don't forget the two 6 pin power connectors), turn on your PC, install the latest drivers from Nvidia.com.

After that, go to the Nvidia Control Panel (either use the tray icon or right click on the desktop) and adjust settings to suit your needs. One setting I always need to adjust under Global 3D settings is: Enable Single Display Performance Mode. For some reason, it usually defaults to Multiple Display Performance Mode. Also, set VSync to "Force Off". Under PhysX, leave it at Auto Select. There are a few others, but in general most of the Global Settings can be left at default.

Or

1) Download latest driver from NVIDIA and shut down.

2) Disconnect power cable from computer before opening case.

3) Uninstall GTS 250.

4) Install GTX 480.

5) Reconnect power cable to computer.

6) Power on and boot into OS.

7) If all appears OK then install latest driver.

That would do it .

Your new GTX480 will require a 600w psu with 42a on the 12v rails. Do you already have that installed?

wilsamacgilsa

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

Got a 600w Sli certified psu ill check the amps

wilsamacgilsa

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

yepp just checked its got a (quote from ebay)

'Next generation four +12V rails(12V1, 12V2, 12V3, 12V4) supports high-end graphic card and PC system (combined loading of 48A)'

So is that enough amps for it? :)

please wb :D

Should be OK. What brand/model psu are we talking about?
Some cheaper psu's simply sum up the individual rail amperages to give a total. That is rarely correct, and the real total will be something less.
Still, the 42a requirement is probably conservative, and if you have already bought the psu, it should not be a problem.
If you have not already purchased it, there may be some better quality options.