Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Going dual widescreen monitors - a few questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2010 9:07:49 PM

I finished my first new build just over a month ago, which went very well, and now am ready to upgrade my monitor to 1080p. It occurred to me that it might be the right time to go to two monitors. My new computer (specs below) is for mixed uses, including gaming. Here are my questions:

I play a lot of SC2. I have no intention of trying to run SC2 on both monitors, so what are the implications of gaming from one screen and leaving a passive screen (like Firefox) on the second monitor? Would I take a big hit on FPS? Is it better to just disable the second monitor? Is there an easier way to disable the second monitor than through windows 7?

Also, I am assuming this should work ok with my setup? My GPU has two DVI connections. Would dual monitors preclude me from going SLI down the road?

And finally, I run two non-widescreen monitors at work. Are 2 widescreens too wide? Has anyone tried it and disliked it? Any opinions on my monitor choice? It seems pretty well reviewed and not too expensive.

Thanks!

New monitors: ASUS VH242H

Current system specs:
CPU: I7-950
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 470 Super Overclock
RAM: 6 GB Mushkin Blackline
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB
PSU: Antec TruePower TP-750
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two

Best solution

December 6, 2010 10:46:50 PM

No, No, No, Yes, Yes, No, No, No, Yes. ;) 

I feel in a good place to answer this as I'm currently running two large widescreen monitors on a GTX 260 SLI system in Win7 x64.

Right.. so from the top.

Supreme commander works amazingly well on two screens, and should work well on two monitors with your GTX 470. I would be VERY confident that just one of my GTX 260's could run the game on both, but luckily I have two GPUs so I need not worry about it slowing it down.

Having something on the second monitor might take half a frame per second from your gaming FPS and nothing more. The only thing I've ever seen slow my FPS down is when I play GTA4 while watching 1080p videos on my second screen which I do quite a bit. This slows GTA4 down by between 5 and 10 FPS - nothing noticable from 45-60FPS :D .

No need to disable the second monitor, it will honestly make no difference as you have a nice beast of a GPU. If you were running a 8600 or 4xxx ATI card or something then yeah maybe, but not with cards like ours :) .

If you DID want to disable the second screen though, you can do so by going into your NVIDIA control panel (right click desktop > nvidia) and go into 3D settings > program settings > and then disable mutiple screens for set games or applications. Again though, you will never need to do this.

You can run SLI with two monitors (as I am) but you plug your monitors into the top card. If you have SLI running, the ports on your second card will not be used, which means 2 screens are your limit without a third-party splitter or something.

Widescreens are not too wide, I'm running a 24" and 22" and it's f***ing awesome :D  :D  :D . Turns heads when people come over to play games ;) .

If you can get one, look at an Acer V243HL. For the price, they beat all the "big brand" monitors' stats and it's got LED backlighting which is amazing. The white makes my other monitor seem almost yellow to look at now. I know some people don't like acer (don't get me wrong though - my name has nothing to do with the brand lolol) but their monitors are amazing and the quality speaks for itself.

I hope I've helped, let me know if you have more questions!
December 7, 2010 11:12:00 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the help Acer!!
Score
Related resources
December 7, 2010 11:12:13 AM

Best answer selected by Spiderm0n.
Score
December 7, 2010 11:20:39 AM

You're welcome :]. Thanks for the best answer! - Much appreciated.

Good luck with the new monitor setup and post here again if you run into any issues :].
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
December 7, 2010 11:35:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!