AMD Athlon 5000+ X2 overheating

ChrisR34000

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Hello!

I have a big problem with one of my computers: the idle temperature of the cpu is pretty high and when I start to use some applications, it starts to overheat immediately. The CPU is not overclocked.

These are the specs:

AMD Athlon X2 5000+
Abit A-N68SV, socket AM2, Nvidia Geforce7025/ nForce630a
1 GB RAM DDR2 800
Galaxy Geforce 6600GT 128 MB
NoName 460W PSU with no ventilation on the bottom part
NoName Case with no additional fans installed

CPU Temp IDLE is between 30 and 40 C. When I start a Skype Video Call and use at the same time firefox to view a youtube video, temperatures skyrocket at 80 C and the computer turns off.
If only use Skype, the temps are around 60-65 C.

Originally, I believed that the thermal paste was the problem, so I've bought an Alpenföhn Groß Clock'ner (which is very well rated at frostytech) and used Arctic MX2 thermal compound this time. The problem however, remained the same, even with the new cooler. I've repeated the process of applying thermal paste and reseating several times and I am sure, that everything is ok regarding this.

I noticed something odd: when the fan of the CPU Cooler is connected to the CPUFAN power connector on the mainboard, it does not start. If I plug it in the AUXFAN connector, everything looks fine. Why is that?
While the computer is running, if I plug the fan first in AUXFAN and then in the CPUFAN connector, the fan runs fine as well. It seems that it just does not want to turn, when it is first connected on CPUFAN on boot.

After reading on the web, it seems that there are only 2 remaining parts which can generate this problem:

1) The power supply

2) The mainboard

What do you think and what would you suggest me?

Are there any other ways to check if it is one or another?

Uther39

Distinguished
I think your cpu fan header is faulty so your best connecting it to a fan controller, so you can manually control it, what i would also do is install some case fans to help get cool air in and warm air out.

Uther39

Distinguished
Even one of these would do,

FG-021-AK_400.jpg

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-021-AK&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=189

ChrisR34000

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
This has been occuring for a few months now.

The voltage is at 1.3v and I can't go below that in BIOS.

I don't think 2 case fans will make much of a difference, to be honest. I think the culprit lies elsewhere...

Uther39

Distinguished

Well, the way to problem solve, is to remove all the obvious possible faults, and then you will be left with only the impossible un-obvious. I would be interested to see your case, and hardware configuration.

I've never trusted those readings. If the PSU was actually outputting 6.91V instead of 12V, I seriously doubt the computer would operate.