Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus P8Z68-V LX 2 sticks not work 1 does

Last response: in Motherboards
January 8, 2012 7:56:05 PM

Hi guys, Im new here and a newbie PC builder. I just purchased my parts 2 days ago for my new pc build. The following are my parts (nothing is OC)

i5-2500k @3.30GHz
Asus p8z68-v LX
Corsair 2x4GB XMS3 DDR3@1600Mhz (9-9-9-24)1.65v Model#CMX8GX3M2A
((I only currently only have 1 and shows at 1333 at 1.5v))
GTX460 758MB DDR5
corsair GS600w PSU
cooler master Hyper 212plus (aftermarket cooler)

When i first put everything together I couldnt even post until i removed 1 of the DIMMs. Was finally able to updated BIOS, installed W7 Ultimate 64bit, and any other driver like video card was updated.

When every i have 2 sticks in i can POST, computer reads the 8GB but usually within 5 min or less I get Many diffrent blue screen. I tried running Memtest86 with 2 sticks and get MANY errors. I ran 1 of the sticks through 10 passes no errors, currently about to try second one on Memtest.

Any thoughts, or suggestion as to what could i be doing wrong or what i could do to solve this. Bear in mind im new to all this :D 

NOTE: the RAM that i purchased i could not find on th QVL of the MOBO could taht be it?

More about : asus p8z68 sticks work

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 104 V Motherboard
January 8, 2012 8:21:26 PM

That memory needs 1.65V, not 1.5V. It will not run at 1600 in pairs at the lower voltage. Go into your bios and adjust the DRAM voltage to 1.65V and then run MEMTEST. Should pass easily.

It may run at lower speed at the 1.5V -- like 1333, but that memory is guaranteed to run at 1600 at 1.65V with a lifetime warranty. I think it should do that, but if not return it and try something else like G.Skill Ripjaws X that will run at 1600 at 1.5V.
January 8, 2012 8:31:02 PM

I actually tried doing that. I insert 1 DIMM go into bios manually set voltage to 1.65 and switch from 1333 to 1600 and I get BSOD. I believe those were the setting I had when I tested it through Memtest. I'll try and set my values again and te run with both DIMMs to see if that works then. Any other thoughts? Also I have never had to return RAM. Would Microcenter allow me to return it or just exchange?
Score
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 8, 2012 8:40:50 PM

By default DDR3-1600/1866/2133/etc will run at DDR3-1333 @ 1.50v. The 1.65v has nothing to do with the problem unless you set the DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 and didn't set the DRAM Voltage -> 1.65v. Generally, I don't recommend 1.65v RAM on the SB and IMO it's best to stick with 1.50v RAM.

Next XMS3 and any XMS series has been problematic, 2nd post on the sticks today that I've seen.

Install the RAM in only the Blue DIMM slots then boot into BIOS and 'try' AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP then save and exit. Next run Prime95 + Blend or create a Memtest86+ CD/DVD (ISO/zip file) and run for 1-2 hours. Memtest -> http://www.memtest.org/

Some folks make a mistake with aftermarket HSF (212+) and allow direct MOBO <=> metal contact an in turn it shorts items like DIMM pathways or other items causing BSOD/Post Failures.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 104 V Motherboard
January 8, 2012 8:43:58 PM

jRbizzle said:
I actually tried doing that. I insert 1 DIMM go into bios manually set voltage to 1.65 and switch from 1333 to 1600 and I get BSOD. I believe those were the setting I had when I tested it through Memtest. I'll try and set my values again and te run with both DIMMs to see if that works then. Any other thoughts? Also I have never had to return RAM. Would Microcenter allow me to return it or just exchange?

Microcenter is very good at exchanges, and I would trade them out for a pair of G.Skill Ripjaws X that will run 1600 at 1.5 V -- I have 4 machines with 4x4Gb sticks of G.Skill that run 24/7 at that and never an issue.
Score
January 8, 2012 8:55:01 PM

I'm going to go to Microcenter tonight and exchange them for 1.5V ones. Hopefully that works. If not I could also try removing my 212+(which I really don't want to) and use stock fan and see if that works. I have read that 1.65v DIMMs are not ideal for SB so I'll take care of that ASAP. I will post back later tonight when I get the new RAM and install it. Hopefully this works as I too have been hearing that XMS3 are problematic. Would that ram be compatible with my MOBO?

And I do have the RAM in the blue slots as that is the recommended from MOBO manual.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 104 V Motherboard
January 8, 2012 9:03:32 PM

jRbizzle said:
I'm going to go to Microcenter tonight and exchange them for 1.5V ones. Hopefully that works. If not I could also try removing my 212+(which I really don't want to) and use stock fan and see if that works. I have read that 1.65v DIMMs are not ideal for SB so I'll take care of that ASAP. I will post back later tonight when I get the new RAM and install it. Hopefully this works as I too have been hearing that XMS3 are problematic. Would that ram be compatible with my MOBO?

And I do have the RAM in the blue slots as that is the recommended from MOBO manual.

That should solve the problem and SB loves G.Skill Ripjaws X memory (it is guaranteed compatible with your motherboard). I've probably built 30 systems using it and never had any issues @1.5V.

Just make sure that your cooler is properly installed -- never an issue in hundreds of builds with that, but I suppose it could happen.
Score
January 8, 2012 9:14:42 PM

RealBeast said:
That should solve the problem and SB loves G.Skill Ripjaws X memory (it is guaranteed compatible with your motherboard). I've probably built 30 systems using it and never had any issues @1.5V.

Just make sure that your cooler is properly installed -- never an issue in hundreds of builds with that, but I suppose it could happen.

Thank you for the suggestion. I hope it goes well at Microcenter although I don't see that ram on their website. What do you suggest if they don't have it? Should I op for another like the corsair vengeance 1600@1.5V or I could just return get my money and buy from newegg. :D  I live like 10 min away from the will call center that I can just pick then up tomorrow.

I'll report back what happened.
Score
January 8, 2012 9:28:21 PM

Small UPDATE: tested the second DIMM and errors on Memtest86 before the first pass. Definately Failty RAM. Going to Microcenter to swap out these and getting ones that are 1.5V and will post results.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 104 V Motherboard
January 8, 2012 11:45:50 PM

Great, always nice to find the problem fast and the problem is very often the RAM.
Score
January 11, 2012 5:29:22 AM

Just wanted to let you guys know it is now fixed I got the GSkill and all is good. Was faulty ram all along. G.skill customer for sure.
Score
January 21, 2012 2:54:00 PM

Best answer selected by jRbizzle.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 3:47:55 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!