A question to pro gamers, is it enough ?!!

soudi

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
hi everybody

while im a new member to to tomshardware indeed im an old reader for its excellent articles and forums and i really learned much information from here and hopefully ill be a productive member from now on :)

now lets get to the point, i got a new system (it was a gift actually) and i would like u pro pc gamers to give me your opinions abt it as im a pro xbox360 gamer so im not that much into pc gaming, or in other words how much is enough to get a good framerates in the latest pc games

here are my pc specs

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1639712

as u can notice i managed to get a minor overclock up to 3.4ghz on a thermaltake frio air cooling
i know i can go higher but i was limited by my cheap ddr2 rams which cant get past 400 (800 effective) dram frequency (system will crash if i go higher) so obviously overclocking the cpu more will be of no benefit as i have a 1:1 fsb : dram ratio.

so now here are my questions:

1- do u think this pc would be enough to run the latest games and the most demanding ones with good framerates while using high resolutions and maximum details ? do u think that there are games out there that can give a hard time to this pc ?
2- for how many months to come can i depend on this pc to answer the first question with an answer "YES" if indeed it was ?
3-what do u think abt hd 6870 ? is it a good card ? is it worth it to upgrade for hd 6970 or shall i wait for the coming radeon 7000 series ? (plz notice that im tight on budget right now so if there is no big difference i would not want to upgrade)

actually im planing to sell my xbox360 so i wanna make sure that this pc can be depended on as a good gaming and entertainment system, and indeed im used to xbox360 excellent graphics and framerates so thats why i wanna make sure this pc can get high framerates with maximum detail on the latest games

additional info:
i play on 1280x1024 resolution currently because my monitor do not support higher resolutions but hopefully ill get a new monitor soon when i have enough money (maybe thats why im selling my xbox360 . . . lol )
i actually love anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering and i usually but them at max along with other in-game details which i like to always max out too

thanks for reading :)

I think you'll see great performance IMO. You've got a good quad-core CPU, plenty of RAM, and most importantly a new video card. It should work well at your resolution now and with the new monitor. You may not need to think about upgrading for a while, especially if you stay with your current monitor (lower res is less strenuous on the GPU).

Hell, I'd say sell the 360 and put that money into your computer. That's how I bought my second GTX 470. Best decision I ever made :D

soudi

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
thanks for ur repley boiler1990, i guess that what ill be doing sell the 360 and put the money on the pc, i just wanted to hear from ppl first and see there opinions :D

G

Sure, it's pretty good, but a Core 2 Quad is sorta old but still powerful by today's standards, don't forget that you can upgrade, and if you want to see how a game runs download demos,

Other than that, it's a good gaming rig.

Don't upgrade, expecially to the 6970, nor wait for newer cards to come out, once you feel that your system is lagging games consider a full upgrade including the motherboard and processor; which means the RAM too, because with multiple cards you will get bottlenecked.

soudi

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
yes indeed core 2 quad is old but @ 3.4ghz i think its pretty powerful

anyways i tried some few games on this gaming rig, actually it proved to be awesome as most of the games are running quite well

i played crysis on directx 10 max details, 1280x1024 resolution and 8x AA and im getting around 38 framrates on average which i geuss is good

also i played metro 2033 which runs excellent on dx10 max details and 1280x1024 resolution ( around 30-33) framerates on average, but the weird thing that when i run it on dx11 it gets really slow (16-18 framerates) i wonder why is there a huge difference, isnt hd 6870 supposed to be AMDs seconed generation dx 11 cards and it promises to be good at tesselation and whatever dx11 introduces or maybe the problem is from metro 2033 it self, bad optimization or whatever . . .

other than that all games run well, some processor intensive games (or let me call them processor hungry games) reminds me sometimes that my cpu is an old one like let me say civ5, but anyway lag is negligible

soudi

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
yes indeed core 2 quad is old but @ 3.4ghz i think its pretty powerful

anyways i tried some few games on this gaming rig, actually it proved to be awesome as most of the games are running quite well

i played crysis on directx 10 max details, 1280x1024 resolution and 8x AA and im getting around 38 framrates on average which i geuss is good

also i played metro 2033 which runs excellent on dx10 max details and 1280x1024 resolution ( around 30-33) framerates on average, but the weird thing that when i run it on dx11 it gets really slow (16-18 framerates) i wonder why is there a huge difference, isnt hd 6870 supposed to be AMDs seconed generation dx 11 cards and it promises to be good at tesselation and whatever dx11 introduces or maybe the problem is from metro 2033 it self, bad optimization or whatever . . .

other than that all games run well, some processor intensive games (or let me call them processor hungry games) reminds me sometimes that my cpu is an old one like let me say civ5, but anyway lag is negligible

G

Don't upgrade if you run all your games just fine, there are new GPUs right around every corner. That is a god rig.