Sign in with
Your question

Do wireless routers fail indefinitely?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
September 29, 2010 7:37:55 AM

At our office we have atleast 10 computers and they are all connected to a wireless Network using D-Link wireless adapters. All the computers are able to connect to the internet and browsing the net is not a problem, but the problem is in accessing some of the computers on the network, I keep getting thse pop up error messages saying " \\comp1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions". I am the Technical guy in the company overseeing tthe network. Please Help am stranded and my job is on the line.!
September 29, 2010 9:15:25 PM

Well how is the network setup? You can't just plug in a bunch of computers together and have them work, they all need common network settings, workgroup names set, rights set to access the other computers, accounts created, etc...

You did not say what OS you are running, or any details about the setup. For all we know you have 3 MACs, 1 Commodore 64, 2 XP machines, Vista, whatever...
September 30, 2010 3:41:54 AM

Quote:
At our office we have atleast 10 computers and they are all connected to a wireless Network using D-Link wireless adapters. All the computers are able to connect to the internet and browsing the net is not a problem, but the problem is in accessing some of the computers on the network, I keep getting thse pop up error messages saying " \\comp1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions". I am the Technical guy in the company overseeing tthe network. Please Help am stranded and my job is on the line.!

OK,I will share the following steps.
1. Turn off any firewalls for debugging. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.
2. Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.
Type the following commands:
PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.
PING <ip address>
Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name
A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.
3. Check your Services on all PCs:
• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
• Computer Browser
• DHCP Client
• DNS Client
• Network Connections
• Network Location Awareness
• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
• Server
• TCP/IP Netbios helper
• Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
• WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
• Workstation
Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.
If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.
4. If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Places (Network and Sharing Center in Vista), make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login. While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing. You can open a command prompt as described above and type the following command: nbtstat -n. This will display the status of NetBIOS or indicate it's not configured.
!