Help choosing a new vid card

I currently have a Palit Nvidia GTS 250 1GB and for the Christmas I would like to get one that is able to play Crysis 2 and beyond, at least for a while. I would like it to have Directx 11 and maybe overclocking capability. I prefer Nvidia but if ATI has a great card for a great price that fine. I really need help with choosing one because I am lost when it comes to video cards. Thank you in advance.
11 answers Last reply
More about help choosing card
  1. Price range?
    If high-end, I would wait for the 69XX series to be released, as that should be happening shortly and should force prices to drop.
  2. duk3 said:
    Price range?
    If high-end, I would wait for the 69XX series to be released, as that should be happening shortly and should force prices to drop.


    Mid, high-end card with a price range of below $350. Is it possible to get a great for that price?
  3. Currently you can buy cards like HD 6870/6850 or GTX 470 in your price range.
    What resolution do you play at and what's your PSU ?
  4. Maziar said:
    Currently you can buy cards like HD 6870/6850 or GTX 470 in your price range.
    What resolution do you play at and what's your PSU ?

    My res is 1080p, 1920x1080 and my PSU is 700W, I may get a bigger one though.
  5. You are in luck because the GTX 570 just came out for around $350. At this point, it is a big hit with reviewers and will do everything you are looking for: great DirectX 11 performance, low noise, cool operating temperatures, and it even outperforms the GTX 480.

    Here is the EVGA GTX 570 on Newegg for $349:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593

    Check out the Tom's Hardware review:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-570-gf110-performance,2806.html
  6. Yeah, +1 to the 570.
  7. How's this for a quote in regards to the GTX 570:
    "Knowing now how the GTX 570 performs means you are able to take advantage of its strengths and leverage them to get the graphics performance you need. This graphics horsepower gives you the ability to take advantage of the rest of the NVIDIA ecosystem, including 3D Vision and 3D Surround, while enabling PhysX in games so you get all the eye candy. This one-two punch from NVIDIA has brought a new level of performance and pricing right in the heat of the holiday buying season. As it sits right here, right now, NVIDIA is sitting in the driver's seat."
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforce_gtx_570_review/16.htm
  8. 17seconds said:
    How's this for a quote in regards to the GTX 570:
    "Knowing now how the GTX 570 performs means you are able to take advantage of its strengths and leverage them to get the graphics performance you need. This graphics horsepower gives you the ability to take advantage of the rest of the NVIDIA ecosystem, including 3D Vision and 3D Surround, while enabling PhysX in games so you get all the eye candy. This one-two punch from NVIDIA has brought a new level of performance and pricing right in the heat of the holiday buying season. As it sits right here, right now, NVIDIA is sitting in the driver's seat."
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforce_gtx_570_review/16.htm


    Most likely I will get this card, but how is my PSU, 700W. Should that last me awhile, or should I get a new one along with the Video Card
  9. What PSU is it?

    It should be fine as long as it's not some fake 700w PSU that's actually a bad 400w
  10. It's going to require a 600 watt power supply on a high-end overclocked system.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-review/
  11. duk3 said:
    What PSU is it?

    It should be fine as long as it's not some fake 700w PSU that's actually a bad 400w


    My PSU is a XION Super Nova 700W, if that helps
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Nvidia Graphics Product