SweetMartabak

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Hi all,

New member here.
I'm building a new computer and have been researching this forum for ideas and suggestions.
For the CPU, I'm contemplating between 2600 and 2600K.
For the motherboard, I'm leaning toward Asus Sbertooth P67 <Rev 3.0>.

I have a few requirements, I'm dealing with all things Photoshop and After Effects daily (CS5) and I normally have a few CS5 apps open at the same time (PS, AE and Illustrator)
Most of the tasks are involving huge files. At the moment I'm dealing with 2gigs worth of PSB (psd) file.
I'm going with a 4 monitors set up (this probably isn't the right section to ask for a graphic card suggestion but I'm open for it too).

Right now I have nothing set on stone yet, I'm open for any suggestions.

Thank you for reading.

You won't need to overclock, so you don't need the 2600k. Go for the 2600.

Make sure you get 8GB of RAM or more due to the nature of your work.

With regard to the video, you'll need more than one GTX card to run four monitors. There are some radeon 2GB 5870 cards out there with 6 mini-display port monitor connections on them. One of these cards could do the trick:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161336

I'm guessing you'll be using monitors with display port connections considering your purpose?

SweetMartabak

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Thanks all for the respond.
Yes unfortunately I'm on budget.. perhaps about $300 for a graphic card is still doable (I can stretch it up to $350 if needed).

@Ubercake:
I'm a new learner when it comes to building a system (I built two so far but my knowledge is somewhat still very primitive), I'm not aware of display port. So based on that card I can run up to 4 displays at once and I don't need two graphic card?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm leaning toward 2600 too as I don't need to oc it. Do you think the motherboard is sufficient/good enough for 2600?

Thanks a bunch

My little eyefinity logo that has a picture of 3 horizontal monitors and one on top of the middle one says otherwise :lol: Wish I had the spare cash for 4 nice monitors.

SweetMartabak

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Thanks all.. the K option isn't that too far off.. another $15 I'd get 2600K .. plus it's tax and shipping free at amazon. So perhaps I'd go with that.

I like nVidia better, any suggestion for the nvidia side? I don't mind doing 2 cards.
Or perhaps I should ask what's the advantage of doing one card versus two?

Thanks

This single 5870 card will allow you to connect up to six monitors and has 2GB of RAM. The display port connections are those you usually seen on IPS high-res monitors running $1000+. I thought you might be using this type of monitor because your primary purpose is to work with photoshop. These monitors provide a wider viewing angle which translates to consistent colors. This, in turn, helps when translating from screen to print and other media because the colors stay consistent no matter how you look at the screen (from the side, from above, from below). I did find an affordable IPS option (with no diplayport connection) with a lower res (still HD) that you might consider:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236122&cm_re=ips_monitor_led-_-24-236-122-_-Product

You don't necessarily need to have display port monitors with this video card, though, because it comes with adapters. It seems like a great option for you considering your budget is around $300. You just have to wait for it to come back in stock unless you can find it somewhere other than the egg. These things are in high demand.

You can't run more than two monitors from one nvidia card. Your budget's at $300 for a videocard?

SweetMartabak

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

Thanks for the explanation about the display port, Ubercake.
Yes that is correct $300 for each.

I wonder though which one is better, to have 2 graphic cards or just one?

Thanks

SweetMartabak

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Thanks Ubercake. You've been very helpful.
I'm gonna research those two. I'm leaning toward nVidia, but having just one video card that serves up to 6 screens is very intriguing as well