I think I just broke my computer

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
So I've got this MSI 780i motherboard (http://cgi.ebay.com/MSI-MS-7510-NVIDIA-780i-SLI-Socket-775-ATX-Motherboard-/200546871594?pt=Motherboards&hash=item2eb186692a) and 2 GTX 465s in sli, one EVGA one Palit, 620w seasonic PSU, 8gb ddr2, e8500. Its been working great for a couple of months but I hit 85° on the top card in crysis the other day so I decided to run furmark a while ago and the top card was hitting 98 after about 20 minutes and the bottom one was hitting 81, one is external exaust so I thought I would switch them around and see if there was a difference. So I swapped them (or so I thought) tried to power on and nothing. Just the red standby light on the motherboard. And this is using the buttons on the motherboard becuase I was never able to get the switch inputs to work. Then I noticed the top card hadn't completely seated because the heat pipes hit the cooler on that one, so I swapped them back out and still nothing, just a tiny noise like the PSU is going to start up for a milisecond and then nothing. I tried both cards in 3 different slots and nothing. Usually as soon as I hit the power LEDs light up for the ram sticks and graphics cards and the power indicator but I get nothing but the red standby light, so I'm wondering is it that easy to break a motherboard just by powering on with a video card not totally seated? Have a destroyed my power supply? I would think that if it were the cards then it would at least try and post and give me a warning beep or led when I didn't have a card in and not just sit there with the standby light on. At the same time I would think that if the PSU went out it wouldn't be lighting the standby light. Any advise before I tear another rig apart to test with another power supply or am I better off asking this in the motherboard forum? Thanks.

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Try taking out all of your Ram but leave 1 stick and remove all your video cards and anything else that uses a pci slot and give it a go, if that fails try a different Ram stick in a different slot.

If you still get no boot or beeps i would try a different Power supply.