Which PSU should I be better off using? Athena or Rocketfish?

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
I have both the 950w Athena Power AP-P4ATX95FEPC and the 700w Rocketfish RF-700WPS2. I am hoping some can give me some info on both and which I would be better off using.
Searching I haven't found much good said about either other than they can be found pretty cheaply priced. Athena, I paid around $70. Rocketfish, I paid around $40. So that much is true.
Just need to replace my Xclio.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

try looking at the signature setup, thats what i intend to power + Antec 300 Illusion case, 2 SATA Caviar Black 1TBs, and 1 SATA Barracuda 1.5TB.
the Rocketfish is a Huntkey 700 watt distributed by Best Buy. i see pretty good reviews on the Huntkeys but not for Rocketfish for some reason. people are just mad cause Best Buy charges $50+ too much?

No, the WPS "2" is a 550 watt CWT oem,labeled by Rocketfish as 700 watts because of it's peak output, distributed by Best Buy.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
already own both of them and it's been over 3 yrs so the warranty doesnt matter. seeing the setup being powered, notice there is no crossfire/SLI and will not be so that doesnt matter either. only thing is which has the better output for this setup.
the 900w Athena Power supposedly really puts out about 700w but i havent tested either of them. the Rocketfish may not even be "WPS2" edition, the packaging is in the attic. all I remember is when I contacted Best Buy asking about it over a year ago they told me the manufacturer was Huntkey and it was the 700w version.

It's very likely that it's not the 2 then, only had your description to go by

I wouldn't use either, but if there's no choice try the Athena, your system isn't going to put that great a load on it.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Ran the Athena Power for about 2 days and my motherboard died. It was a piece of crap anyway, ASRock M3A770DE with decent reviews and decent low-end specs but it couldn't OC worth a crap and was about 3 inches skinnier than any ATX I ever saw.
Powered the replacement board I bought with the Rocketfish for about 2 days and got random BSOD saying hardware error with my memory over and over. Tried the Athena Power and it's been running perfect.
This new board I got is awesome: ASRock 890GX Pro3 AM3+. Everything is running a few degrees cooler than with the M3A770DE and is OC'd a bit further than before. This thing has tons of features. Been some big deal about the GUI UEFI BIOS with mouse support but you have to type in values anyway so what's the big deal of having mouse support? Would definitely recommend this board to anyone buying anytime soon.