Switching i5 cpu in windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

quanta23

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I want to replace my locked i5 3.3Ghz cpu on a Windows 7 64 bit rig to a unlocked i5-2500K on my ASUS P8P67 Pro mobo. Will windows accept this and not freak out? I'm uncertain because I read conflicting reports on if I will have to rebuild windows or not. I used to swap cpu's as needed, but things are more complicated now. Thanks for any help if anyone knows factually if this is possible without rebuilding Windows.

The only component I have ever seen mess up a windows installation by switching out is the motherboard. And I've only had this issue with XP. And still only sometimes. I haven't had any issues with windows 7.

Basically: No. Things are not "more complicated" now. They are the same as before. Or easier. Where did you read they were more complicated with these "conflicting reports"?

PS3hacker12, please take note that he said nothing about a motherboard change, as you had to go through to upgrade your old pentium D.

Like pointed out by Enzo, a Windows reinstall may (most probably will) be required when you do a motherboard change (not replacement).. Changing CPU does not need it.. And in your case, u don't even require to do a BIOS update..

Windows does not care what cpu your running.

Status
Not open for further replies.