Sign in with
Your question

Sandy bridge-E or Ivy bridge?

Last response: in CPUs
May 5, 2011 7:38:46 PM

i know there isn't too much information available on these processors, but maybe the answer to my question is out there. does anyone know which will be better for high-performance? it seems the ivy bridge is a little bit more geared towards the mainstream, but i'm not positive.. anyone know which will have the best of the best out of the two?

also, will the 3D transistors be in the SB-E's?
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2011 7:43:11 PM

No, the new Ivy bridge would start using the finfet/3d transistors.
Ivy bridge has both main stream and enthusiast
m
l
May 7, 2011 4:10:31 AM

Do you guys think the sb-e quad core will be a significant Performance uPgrde from the current 2500k/2600ks? Or would It be better to wait for the ivys for best performance (around $300)? I read the ivy bridge will be a 25% performance upgrade from current SBs
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2011 5:33:19 AM

This is just my guess, but I'm thinking that the first IBs will be like the first SBs, a midrange offering which will be followed up about a year later by the really killer CPUs. Even though the i7 2600 was a performance increase over the 9xx series, the LGA2011 systems coming out late this year will blow everything else into the weeds. So since IB is set for a midrange launch likely in Q2 2012 it's doubtful that the monster IBs will be out before 2013. That's a looooooooooooooong time to wait. You can always wait and wait and wait for a better computer. Sooner or later you gotta pull the trigger. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2011 6:33:22 AM

A better more detailed roadmap...

SNB-E is still built on the 32nm process. The new transistor type is only on the 22nm process. So, no 3D transistors on SNB-E.

The SNB-E four-core eight-thread 3.6GHz CPU with 10MB of L3 cache will likely start at $400-500 or so. The next step up would be a six-core twelve-thread 3.2GHz CPU with 12MB of L3 cache. The top offering will be a six-core twelve-thread 3.3GHz CPU with 15MB of L3 cache and will probably cost $1000.

Despite the improvements made to IVB, it will still be placed below SNB-E in Intel's hierarchy. This is likely due to SNB-E having far more cache plus a four-channel memory controller. Oh, and SNB-E lacks integrated graphics.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2011 2:49:02 PM

^ Didn't Intel announce a couple weeks ago that they 'could' or 'would' ship IB either at the end of this year or beginning of next? IOW, they were at least thinking of bringing the roadmap forward.

OP: if all you're interested in is gaming, then SB-E would be good, but if you do other things like transcoding, I don't think 'E' will have Quick Sync since that depends on the on-board GPU which 'E' dispenses with in favor of more cores. IB however will have QS version 2.0, a stronger GPU (16 or maybe 24 execution units) as well as faster clocks.
m
l
May 8, 2011 3:21:01 AM

When will we actually see a mid range priced performance oriented version of Ivy Bridge for the Desktop market?

Intel have stated that they are going to use 22nm for the server market first and I am wondering if we aren't seeing a rerun of how Intel introduced 32nm products, where even though they were releasing 32nm products in Q1 10, it wasn't until Q1 11, that they produced a product in Sandy Bridge, that was more compelling than the 45nm i5's & i7's.

I'd be surprised if Intel offer $300ish desktop products that supersede Sandy Bridge, any earlier than Q3 12.

Intel might produce some $700+ Ivy Bridge Products in H1 12, but I don't see them making anyone on a budget feel like they got ripped buying a 2500K or 2600k CPU now.
m
l
!