GPU installation: Use CD then update drivers?

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Tomorrow I plan to install an EVGA GTX460SE in a brand-new Dell Studio XPS 9100.

I've already received the card, which comes with an installation CD. Is there any reason to use the CD? Or should I just download the drivers from EVGA and pass on the CD? :non:

I've only installed cards twice before (a few years ago) and I believe both times I used the CD to grab whatever software was included, installed the drivers, and then updated the drivers from the web.

But I watched one of those "unbox and install" installation videos about this card on YouTube and the guy just shrugged at the CD and tossed it over his shoulder. :ouch:

Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

dg,

Solution
To be able to play a Blu-Ray movie disc all of the devices in your computer, that a Blu-Ray movie’s data will travel through, needs to be HDCP-capable (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) or the movie won’t play.

This means that the Blu-Ray drive needs to have HDCP, but that should be implicit, your graphics card must also be HDCP-capable, and finally your monitor must be HDCP-capable.

The link between the graphics card and the display does not have to be through HDMI as DVI-D also works.

In the NVIDIA Control Panel there is a menu option "View HDCP status" that will check the HDCP capability between the graphics card and the display that you choose to watch Blu-Ray movies on. If...
i don't think there is any problem directly using latest driver from nvidia site instead of going the hassle installing from the CD first then updating to the latest one. when doing fresh install of windows i've always using the latest driver from nvidia for my card. as for me even for new card i will straight looking for latest drivers from nvidia/ati and skip the CD installation all together

Pass on the outdated drivers on the CD and go directly to the GPU provider's website, in your case NVIDIA, and get the most up-to-date driver version for your OS.

The latest version of EVGA utilities for the graphics card can be obtained from EVGA's website once you register for the warranty coverage.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for confirming what I suspected about the CDs.

One more related question, if I may:

The GTX460 has dual DVI + one HDMI mini. It comes with an HDMI mini to standard HDMI adaptor.

I realize that HDMI carries both digital audio and video signals, but which should I use: HDMI or DVI?

I googled and the consensus seems to be that it won't make any difference in terms of video quality. But I did see one post that said you cannot view Blu-Ray discs unless you use the HDMI.

This machine (Dell Studio XPS 9100) will have a Blu-Ray drive. I don't tend to watch movies on the computer, but might want to occasionally.

My primary screen (HP LP2475w) has both HDMI and DVI. My secondary screen (Dell 2007FP) only has DVI/VGA .

(I've always run both screens DVI.)

dg

To be able to play a Blu-Ray movie disc all of the devices in your computer, that a Blu-Ray movie’s data will travel through, needs to be HDCP-capable (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) or the movie won’t play.

This means that the Blu-Ray drive needs to have HDCP, but that should be implicit, your graphics card must also be HDCP-capable, and finally your monitor must be HDCP-capable.

The link between the graphics card and the display does not have to be through HDMI as DVI-D also works.

In the NVIDIA Control Panel there is a menu option "View HDCP status" that will check the HDCP capability between the graphics card and the display that you choose to watch Blu-Ray movies on. If the check fails that's a good indication that you won't be able to view the Blu-Ray movie on the chosen display.

Solution

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
ko88:

I just checked the HP website and it says this about the LP2475w:

Get connected with DVI-I, DisplayPort, and HDMI with HDCP support for protected content, plus component, S-video, and composite inputs.

I also checked the EVGA site for this card (GTX460 SE) and it shows a check mark for HDCP where the features are listed.

Looks like it's up to Dell and whether the drive has HDCP as well. For what I paid for that upgrade, they'll be hearing holy hell from me if it doesn't. Like you said, it should be implicit, but I've heard of Dell doing stranger things.

Thanks so much for the highly detailed and educational response. :sol:

Waiting for Godot, err...FedEx right now. Should know by tomorrow.

Thanks again.

dg