P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 USB issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott311

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hey all,

I recently upgraded to this mobo, an i5-2500k, 8gb G.Skill Sniper 1600 RAM, and Windows 7. The only issue I've had is my USB optical mouse will randomly stop functioning. The red LED on the mouse will blink twice every few seconds. If my keyboard is plugged into the same USB hub, it will no longer function either. If I have the mouse in the front ports and the keyboard in the back and this happens, the keyboard still works. If this happens and I move the mouse to the other ports (front or rear), the PC will detect it and it'll work fine...until it happens again.

It's totally random when it happens. Sometimes it's right after boot but sometimes it'll happen 2.5 hours into a SWTOR sesssion...

Edit: Forgot to add that the mouse will also occasionally lag for a second and I'll hear the USB disconnected sound. Then it'll unlag.

I've installed all the drivers from the mobo cd, ran memtest (it said no errors found), I'm not overclocking...Any ideas?

Thanks!

dWhiteQC

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I have the same exact problem!

I have to plug my mouse and keyboard on the front panel of my case for not having the problem.

--

By the way, the mouse also hangs in BIOS... so it's not a windows driver problem. It's the motherboard.

Only happens when plugged in rear panel.

When it happens, the mouse randomly freeze with faster frenquency and eventually, the mouse and keyboard stop working. Keyboard and mouse light flashes like if they were losing power and get it back again. Every USB ports on the rear panel stop working. I have to reboot the computer.

--

First time I have some kind of problems with an ASUS motherboard.

Fateye

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Does it look like this? (Regular P8Z68-V Pro, not GEN3, it's basically the same though.. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blf6sCsa3kw

I made this video to show the RMA department in the store how it looks. I am still waiting for a replacement/response to my RMA so can't really say much at the moment. It seems to work fine (Atleast the keyboard.) on the front USB or USB3 in the back. Must be some kind of design problem or something with this board.

Fateye

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Didn't really say anything, just got an email saying they've sent me a P8Z68-V PRO GEN3.. but I'd guess they might be aware of it since it took about a week to find the problem, and that is pretty short considering it's a big online store and the time it takes for the USB to screw up varies..

fake

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2004

I'm having the sam issue with this motherboard. My mouse and keyboard randomly stops working ( mouse flashing as it losing power ) .
Fateye, can you confirm that replaced motherboar fixed that issue ? I'm thinking of sending it to Asus as well. My motherboard is 1 week old

Fateye

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Yes, this board seems to be fine.. the computer has been on for 2 days and I've had no issue so far. I've been doing mixed tasks such as web browsing and gaming and so far I have no issues.

NorthPole

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I have had the same problems with USB locking up, mouse freeze and system will not shut down completely.

The culprit on my setup is a HP Photosmart C5180 printer connected by USB.

If I switch off the printer before switching on the computer then all problems disappear.

I have removed all HP content on machine. Tried to install the latest HP driver and software upgrade 506Mb but the system locks half way through the install..

Tried to install the original HP CD and again the software stalls half way through.

Hope this helps.

Emmuh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I may have a similar problem with my P8Z68/Gen3 board: my keyboard and mouse stop responding but my screen also locks up (whereas in the video posted above, the cursor continues to flash). I wondered if this had happened to anyone else with the USB issue or if I might have to investigate elsewhere?

Fateye

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Well, when this happened to me the keyboard and mouse stopped responding, the PC itself went on as usual, could see this since it usually happened when playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.