Overheating motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

etudiant

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hi,
The Asus P8Z68-V-LE motherboard of new build is showing 80 degrees C, while my non overclocked I5-2405S low power CPU is at 29 degrees. There is a passive cooled Gigabyte 6770 in the rig showing 35 degrees, all temperatures taken from Piriforms Speccy system monitoring program. The case is a Fractal Arc Midi, 3x140mm fans, currently maxed out.
The system board is also cooled by a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU cooler, which does blow down on the motherboard, so the temperature is a surprise to me.
Is this temperature normal? Should I worry about premature failure? Are there any obvious steps I could take to make things better?

softwares-hwmonitor.jpg

etudiant

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hi Nikorr,

Thank you for helping.
Ran CPUID, shows max temps of 26 degrees for SYSTIN, 79.5 degrees for CPUTIN and 67.5 degrees for AUXTIN
.My display is somewhat different from what yours shows, perhaps because the download was CPUID Pro.

Still seems very high temperatures.
Do you think I have a problem and if so, how do I fix it?

etudiant

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hi Nikorr,

There is no hard drive, just a 120 gig Intel 320 SSD.
The case is sitting on the wood floor, in the open, in a 65 degree room.
CPUTIN just hit 89 degrees C. I'm using the system that we are speaking about.

Thank you again for the immediate feedback.

It may be also faulty read from the sensor!

Open the case and check if it feels hot inside. U have an SSD and that makes the case even cooler.

And check the temps when u scan for the viruses if the temps are moving up and down.

etudiant

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hi Nikorr,

Well, the inside of the case is cool, as I would have expected as it s venting pretty cool air.
The CPU heat radiator is cool and the chipset heat sinkto the left of the CPU, which is the only one visible, as the Noctua covers the other which is above the CPU, is maybe 45 degrees C at most, based on finger feel.
My fear is that the heat sinks may not be a good indicator, if the heatpipe to them has a glitch, although that would seem pretty unusual. The temperature measurements however do seem to suggest something is out of whack.

If something would be overheating, it would be hot in the case. U have the best cooler in there, so it must be faulty sensor, period.

It happens a lot. A lot! And all the time : )

If the GPU and CPU are cool, it won't get hot, even if it indicates it does.

And yours are cooler than mine! And if the temp is not changing, it does not work!

Hardware Monitors
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware monitor Nuvoton NCT6776
Voltage 0 1.02 Volts [0x7F] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 0.99 Volts [0x7C] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 3.42 Volts [0xD6] (AVCC)
Voltage 3 3.42 Volts [0xD6] (3VCC)
Voltage 4 1.02 Volts [0x80] (VIN4)
Voltage 5 0.01 Volts [0x1] (VIN5)
Voltage 6 0.86 Volts [0x6B] (VIN6)
Temperature 0 32°C (89°F) [0x20] (SYSTIN)
Temperature 1 60°C (140°F) [0x188] (CPUTIN)
Temperature 2 34°C (93°F) [0x44] (AUXTIN)
Fan 0 0 RPM [0x0] (SYSFANIN)
Fan 1 1148 RPM [0x47C] (CPUFANIN)
Fan 2 0 RPM [0x0] (AUXFANIN0)
Fan 3 0 RPM [0x0] (AUXFANIN1)
Fan 4 1147 RPM [0x47B] (AUXFANIN2)
Register space LPC, base address = 0x0290

etudiant

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hi Nikorr,

Thank you for your help and insight.
It does seem more likely that a sensor might be loopy, given that the components are not even close to hot. Eighty degrees C is not comfy, you could probably cook an egg at that temperature.
It sure is not worth tearing down the build to try to get Asus to replace a functioning motherboard, because of this ancillary feature not working correctly.
So I'll just chalk it up to experience. Thank you again for your guidance,. You have been very helpful.

BTW, 100°C is the boiling point of the water : )

JSchoey

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Interestingly enough, I've been having similar issues on my new build as well. I used the P8Z68-V/GEN3. Every so often it records a motherboard temp of 123C! I've chalked it up to a faulty sensor at this point as it's definitely not that hot in my case.

etudiant

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Very interesting input! Seems there may be a design issue. The sensor appears to be crying wolf a little too readily.
In any event, I checked the back of the MB around the CPU, an area that in my modest Fractal Arc Midi case does not get the benefit of cooling fans. No obvious hot spots, just a slightly warmer area below where the chipseat heat sink is.

Status
Not open for further replies.