Aug 7, 2009
Hi,

Before I start explaining, these are my specs:

PSU: 500W PSU
GFX: Gigabyte 5870
CPU: Core 2 Duo e6300
RAM: 2x512mb DDR2 ram
Mobo: MSI P965-Neo

Okay here is my problem. Before getting the 5870 I had a 7300GS and the computer also didn't have display not even BIOS or Post. The thing is that when I had the 7300GS it had the 1 long beep and 2 short beeps which means the graphics card is faulty says MSI in one of their manuals. I went and bought a 5870 and I now I don't get those beeps but I still don't have any display when I try boot. I'm not sure what else to do because I have no error beeps and my other components aren't faulty. Is this a motherboard compatibility issue or a power supply issue? I don't think it boots up properly at all as well. When I used to turn it on (when it worked) I used to be able to press the power button again any time before it hit the "Loading Windows" logo and it shut down. Now it doesn't even shut down at all when I do that.

Help would be much appreciated!

adrimagnon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Hi Majifkx,

Have you tried clearing the BIOS and trying again? It looks like the 5870 requires extra power to run. Are you plugging it into the PSU? When it fails to boot can you see or hear the hard drive spinning? I think the default for motherboards is one press of the power button starts it and then once it is running pressing-and-holding the power button for 4 seconds turns it off. If you hold the power button for 4 seconds will it turn off?

Adrian

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Please check if your motherboard's PCIe x16 slot version is 2.0.

If it is of version PCIe 1.0, then you may have a problem with new generation video cards because they require PCIe 2.0 version slot.

If this is the case, then you may ask MSI for a BIOS update.

majikfx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Okay well I bought a 4350 which is pcie1.0 compatible and it still didn't post. I'm in the process of buying a new motherboard because I think it may be the culprit or am I missing something here?