Sign in with
Your question

Memory Voltage problem?

Last response: in Memory
January 9, 2012 4:00:00 AM

Hello all. I recently purchased 2 sticks of kingston DDR2 800mhz 2gb RAM. My computer has been freezing up occaisionally during games or some intensive programs, and i thought it was my 4 year old 600w PSU. I bought an 800w PSU, but the freezing persisted. neither my cpu or gpus are overheating. I did some searching around, and i read that RAM with too low voltage will cause the system to freeze. I raised the voltage from 1.8v (what it was set to normally) to 1.9v. Still freezing. Increased it to 2.0v, and no improvements. I just changed it to 2.1v now, but I'm afraid to go higher. My Specs:

Quad Core Q6600 Overclocked to 3.0ghz
2x2gb kingston DDR2 800mhz RAM (It was forced to go to 1066mhz when i OC'd the CPU)
2 9800 GTX+ in SLi
800w Corsair PSU
680i motherboard

I don't have a beast system, and I probably am doing something wrong, but right now I just want the freezing up to stop. Any advice?

More about : memory voltage problem

a b } Memory
January 9, 2012 4:27:20 AM

:hello:  Welcome to the forums.

DDR2 RAM can operate up to 2.2 volts safely.

Most Q6600's will easily run at 3.3 GHz with halfway decent cooling.

I suspect part of your problems come from suboptimal overclocking (especially memory) settings.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide (generic guide based on an Asus motherboard)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

For your motherboard (BIOS's tend to be different):
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2104&p...
Look at the second set of screen shots (the top one labeled FSB and Memory Config).

The FSB speed is 1066 MHz. That is really the stock FSB clock. FSB frequency is 1/4 of that - 266 MHz. The nForce 600/700 BIOS is a little strange. You adjust the FSB clock, not the FSB freq.

Set memory to Linked. Once you do that, you should see Memory speed drop to 533 MHz.

The screen shot for the voltages show their maximum values. Do not go that high or you will fry something.

So. Leave your memory timing on Auto. Set memory to Linked. For 3.0 GHz, FSB speed is 333 MHz, FSB clock is 1333 MHz, and memory clock will be 667 MHz. For 3.3 GHz, FSB speed is 367 MHz, FSB clock is 1466 MHz, and memory clock will be 733 MHz.

These combinations will give you a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio and generally the best stability. Running the RAM faster gives little extra performance in a Core2 system.

Jump straight to 3.0 GHz. You will be forever nudging the FSB freq up 5 or 10 MHz at a time. You should be able to reach 3.3 GHz. You may be able to reach 3.6 GHz depending on your individual CPU, cooler, and case..

On my eVGA 680i board, running the memory Linked gave me a fair amount of instability, so I ran Unlinked and manually entered memory settings to let me run 1:1.

Keep the CPU core voltage under 1.50 volts and your load temps under 70 C. Do not exceed 2.2 volts RAM voltage.
m
l
January 9, 2012 8:06:04 PM

Thank you! I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know how it works. :]
m
l
January 9, 2012 10:05:45 PM

I tried what you said. I set the fsb clock to 1466 and the memory to 733, but it froze when starting windows 7. I tried several voltages, and the same happened. I then went to to 1333 fsb clock with 667 mem, and i blue screened each time I started up. I could go back to stock settings with the 2.4ghz and it'll be fine, but I want to be able to get the most out of this machine without having to spend $$$ on new hardware. Any ideas as to why my system would still freeze/crash? Your help is greatly appreciated. :) 
m
l
!