Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel Core Processor i3-550 vs Intel Pentium G6980

Last response: in Components
May 5, 2011 9:47:58 PM

I am looking to buy 2 new desktops, of course both of mine burned up at the same time. Price is a concern. We use the desktops for research, school aged kids, surfing the web and running a small home based business. I have been looking at the Dell Inspiron 570 and 580. The main difference I see besides price are the processors. The 570 has an AMD Athlon II and the 580 has an Intel Core i3. I have no idea what the differences are and which would better serve my needs. I do not need monitors, we have 2 really nice large ones.
Any help is appreciated.

Margaret

Best solution

May 5, 2011 10:19:32 PM

Pentium is old, and not strong. It will do what you want it to do, but I would strongly recommend the Athlon II. I actually have an Athlon II X3, and I love it. The Core i3 is the best, but for that task, you will not need it. The Pentium/Core i3 machine costs more than the Athlon II machine, and you will not see a difference between the two. Get the 570.
May 5, 2011 10:39:02 PM

Exlicitly, what model of the athlon II or i3?

As a rule, the i3 is considerably faster.

Look at this link, enter your cpu's and look at the tasks you will do the most.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/143?vs=121

Exactly what are the specs of the proposed systems? Of your old systems?

I suspect that if you are on a budget, you can assemble a better system yourself for less. Particularly if you can reuse some of your old parts.
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2011 10:42:22 PM

i have a althon II X4 and its really fast not for photoediting though..
m
l
May 5, 2011 11:26:15 PM

geofelt said:
Exlicitly, what model of the athlon II or i3?

As a rule, the i3 is considerably faster.

Look at this link, enter your cpu's and look at the tasks you will do the most.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/143?vs=121

Exactly what are the specs of the proposed systems? Of your old systems?

I suspect that if you are on a budget, you can assemble a better system yourself for less. Particularly if you can reuse some of your old parts.

Yes, the i3 is faster, but for homework, E-mails, and web-surfing, a Athlon II is for, and costs a lot less.
m
l
May 6, 2011 12:18:32 AM

don't buy a new computer with an old chip, it's just not worth it. It is already outdated at any price.
m
l
May 6, 2011 12:35:29 AM

festerovic said:
don't buy a new computer with an old chip, it's just not worth it. It is already outdated at any price.

Wehich CPU are you saying she shouldn't get then? All of them? They are all 2 years old or more.
m
l
May 6, 2011 2:27:19 AM

HostileDonut you seem to get what I am looking for. To festerovic, I am looking for answers not just comments. Thank you HostileDonut.
m
l
May 6, 2011 2:27:55 AM

Best answer selected by myhatt.
m
l
May 6, 2011 2:38:22 AM

myhatt said:
HostileDonut you seem to get what I am looking for. To festerovic, I am looking for answers not just comments. Thank you HostileDonut.

No problem! ;)  I hope the machine does exactly what you want.
m
l
!