Need help with error

victorar68

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
hello iam new so iam not too good at this for the past three weeks ive been getting a DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER i remove the memory reinstall and then the pc boots just fine for 3 or 4 days then it does it again where should i start to look?

First thing you need to do is confirm that your memory modules are not defective.

Download and run the freeware utility Memtest86+ V4.20 (25/01/2011). Scroll just past half-way down the web page and download the appropriate pre-compiled bootable image or package.

When you run memtest86+ you should not get any errors if your memory modules are working properly.

If your memory modules pass the memtest86+ testing cycle then I would suspect a hard disk drive problem. You will then need to run a hard disk drive diagnostic utility (downloaded from hard disk drive manufacturer's support website) to determine or confirm if there is a problem.

Please specify more details about your system like make and model of motherboard, CPU, memory modules, graphics card, hard disk drive, power supply unit.

Xannatos65

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Definitely download the Seatools Diagnostic Tool as Ko888 suggested. That particular error comes from the system having trouble reading your drives boot sector which contains the information needed to load your OS. The two common culprits are ram (which corrupts the data when it passes it on, which you already verified good with memtest) and the hard drive, which either has some bad sectors or it could be corrupting the data when it passes it on. The hard drive diagnostic tool will let you know if the drive is good.

If it shows up good, you can try having windows perform a sector repair on the drive. Instructions below. This could be hit at miss though since a bad boot sector should mean the system should never boot, but it can't hurt to try.

Note - Type what is inside the quotes ' ' .
To perform a sector repair or Check Disk.
Login to windows.
Click on the start button.
Choose run if windows xp or just click in the search diaglog if Windows Vista/7.
Type 'cmd' and then hit enter.
A back box titled command prompt should show up.
Type 'chkdsk /r' then press enter.
You should get a warning saying that the disk is in use and asking if you would like to schedule it on the next boot.
Press 'y' for yes.
Reboot your computer.
When it starts up you should get a blue screen if I remember right and a bunch of text informing you it is starting the scan. If you watch it till the end you might be able to see if it found/fixed any errors when it finishes but the results screen doesn't stay up very long and the scan will take quite a while. Avg 45mins. The only way to know if this worked for you is to wait and see if the error returns.

victorar68

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

ok iam back i got the disk failier again this time i took everthing out one by one and whoul not boot untill i took out the video card out then i got it to boot it worked with on board graphics i put the card back in and its working for now what do you think?