Sign in with
Your question

Advice on a graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2010 10:58:40 AM

Hello guys, friend has asked me to help him which of these two cards should he buy:

PCI-E GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 OC Ultra series, 1GB GDDR5, HDMI, DualDVI, HDTV
or
PCI-E MSI AMD RADEON HD 6850, 1GB DDR5, HDMI, Dual DVI, DP

But I haven't really payed much attention on new graphics cards since I bought my computer last year, and I'm sure that lot of has changed since, so I need your help.
He want's to play games, so that should be the main parameter when recommending. But also, feel free to give another reasons for your choice, if any.

I need the answer till tomorrow afternoon. Thank you all.

More about : advice graphics card

a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2010 11:41:26 AM

I'd go for the 6850 without a doubt. Very similar performance, bigger feature stack (eyefinity etc) and more efficient.

I can give you a long list of reasons to do so, but in the end it comes down to the 6850 being better overall

December 7, 2010 6:59:48 PM

Thank you for your advice.
If someone has something to add, please do.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2010 8:46:04 PM

The Nvidia card does have Physx, but to be honest I think you'd do very well with either of those cards. Is there a plan in the future to crossfire or SLI?
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 7, 2010 9:15:25 PM

What type of computer are you putting the card into? and is your friend a fan of Overclocking?
I would agree to go with a 6850 but which version you want is why i ask about O.C. cause their are version that will allow you to unlock more.
a c 595 U Graphics card
December 7, 2010 10:17:52 PM

That Gigabyte GTX 460 is a nice card with a good custom cooler that will keep it cool and quiet. The GTX 460 will also overclock like crazy and scales very well to deliver increased performance that closely matches the increase in clock speeds.
The GTX 460 has several advantages over the 6850 that will result in better overall graphics, including better DirectX 11 tesselation, better texture filtering, and PhysX. The HD 6800 series is known to have problems with shimmering textures and AMD has had to reduce image quality in order to maintain acceptable benchmark scores.

In an article on Tom's Hardware, they made this point about the 6800 series:
"At the same time, though, AMD acknowledged to the Germans an image quality issue that was causing the shimmering originally reported by those sites with the 6800-series cards, even with High Quality toggled. The conclusion the site drew was that it’d take a hardware revision to correct the issue. AMD tells us it can fix the problem via drivers, and that it’ll involve blurring the textures so they don’t shimmer."

"For the time being, we're going to have to leave everything at default and point out the observed and confirmed image quality issue currently affecting Radeon HD 6800-series cards. This may or may not become a factor in your buying decision, but right now, the bottom line is that Nvidia offers better texture filtering, regardless of whether you’re one of the folks who can appreciate it."
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-570-gf1...
December 7, 2010 10:28:06 PM

Thank you all for your answers.
To answer some of the questions:
- there will be no overclocking
- CPU is 4 core AMD processor
- no custom setups, other coolers will be used
- no SLI or crossfire
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 1:03:29 AM

What games is your friend going to play?
It would make it easier in knowing how powerful the card needs to be to deliever good graphics on a demanding game.
December 8, 2010 7:33:17 AM

purple stank said:
What games is your friend going to play?
It would make it easier in knowing how powerful the card needs to be to deliever good graphics on a demanding game.

The game he'll play the most is Pro Evolution Soccer, that will work even with a cheaper card (although we can't know that for future versions of the game). But also probably some FPS or so, nothing specific.
Anyway, whatever he decides I think he can't make a mistake, he mostly cares that game goes smoothly, if picture quality is a little bit poorer it's not a problem.

Thank you all for your answers, not decision has to be made.
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 4:57:26 PM

I would even suggest something lower like a 5770 or a 460 so you can save some money if he isn't going to notice a difference bettween low and medium settings.But if it is for games to come in the future go with a 460/6850.
December 8, 2010 8:09:11 PM

purple stank said:
I would even suggest something lower like a 5770 or a 460 so you can save some money if he isn't going to notice a difference bettween low and medium settings.But if it is for games to come in the future go with a 460/6850.

It's always good to think ahead, he will not be changing this computer too soon.
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 9:12:41 PM

Well go with a 6850 or 460,and down the road if games he's playing becomes to much for a single card to handle just crossfire/sli with another.

Goodluck
December 8, 2010 11:26:20 PM

purple stank said:
Well go with a 6850 or 460,and down the road if games he's playing becomes to much for a single card to handle just crossfire/sli with another.

Goodluck

Thanks you.

As for PSU, I use Corsair on one of my computers for years 24h/7d and it works great. I've suggested the same choice.
!