Hello, I have just bought a new PC:

Asus P7P55D

Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) 1600MHz XMS3

Intel Core i5 760, 2.8GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1GB

Corsair VX 550W

Windows 7.

The thing is that after playing about 5-10 minutes in any game, the computer shuts off. I have checked the temperature, and the cpu and gpu seems to be around 50 C (checked this after one time playing Starcraft 2 with max graphics, no lag at all).
I tried switch the graphics card to an ATI 5850 and it still does not work. I have updated the motherboard, BIOS, graphic card and Windows. I tried to shut of the function that automatically restarts the system if there is a failure, and it still restarts, does not give me a message, bluescreen or anything like that.

One more thing... When the computer starts up again and ask me if I want to start the system in safe mode, and still starts it in normal mode, it shuts off directly when windows has loaded. So I first need to load in safe mode, and then Im able to restart and use it in normal mode.

The games doesnt lag anything at all, isnt that an indicator that the temperature is fine?

What more can I do to fix my problem...?

Edit: The only games Ive tried so far is Mass Effect 2 and Starcraft 2

1. Since ya just bought "it", (rather than bought the individual components), it's under warranty .... let whomever build it solve ya problem.

2. If you built it ....

a) what does event viewer say ?

b) what happens when ya run OCCT GPU / CPU tests ?

c) does it pass an overnight run of memtest ?

3. Is this the restart procedure you turned off ?
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

sync_nine

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I have a feeling its the PSU, Nvidia are power Hungry cards.
From articles i have read the gtx 560 consumes 350-400W, so thats like 80% of the output.
Assuming the PSU has 80% efficiency, ur GPU has just eaten it all. So just change your PSu, i suggest 650-700W

loukur

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Microsoft defines the error as:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Level: Critical
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I would be looking at hardware, especially the power supply. My first knee-jerk would be to say the PSU does not have enough watts. have to look at the build. Some component could be going way over-watt. The highest power user is usually the graphics card. Do you have any way to eliminate that by swapping?

Of course this is a purchased system. Probably should let the manufacturer/seller diagnose and repair.

rwoz

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

It says a lot of things, but that is the only critical error... if you wondered more specifically what event ID 41 says, it is:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

rwoz

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Isnt there a more secure way knowing my PSU is too weak? I mean,,, I tried running 3dmark 11, and it didn't shut down, shouldn't the power supply be extra important in that case? Or maybe its more complicated than that..

loukur

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
The text you found is just the definition of event id 41.

Your PSU is 550 watts, and 80% of that is 440. I did a swag add up of your parts and got 401 watts. That would be a rough estimate of 39 watts left over. Overclocking that CPU could raise its power needs by 38 watts. Also, the graphics card will draw more power as you play games.

Are you overclocking? Since you are watching temp a lot, I am guessing you are. I don't think you have enough PSU for overclocking.

rwoz

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

No, I am not overclocking.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Make sure all of your drivers are updated. I have had alot of trouble with the realtek audio drivers lately so I dont even use them, I use the drivers Win7 installs.

Your PSU should be more the enough to run your setup, the PSU could still be faulty, it happens I dont care what psu brand it is. If you can get your hands on another psu try that.

rwoz

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I have now been running the program memtest over night. I used 3 copies of the program, where I in two programs tested 2gb, and 1gb in the last one. In the morning the computer had a bluescreen and now I dont know if this really is the error. Can I check it somewhere? I checked in event viewer and I got a memory dump file, maybe that is the only relevant information I need... Should I post the .dmp file?

banthracis

Distinguished
Not sure what you mean by 3 copies of memtest.
Memtest is run off a bootable USB or CD or floppy, not in windows.

If the PC is BSODing during memtest then you've got a hardware issue. As stated already, go get another PSU and try that.

In addition, run memtest and watch it. If you're getting errors in it then RAM is likely cause for your issues.

Also, since this is prebuilt why aren't you just talking with the company?

rwoz

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

I dont know exactly where I can find the BSOD code, if you mean the information I got from the actual BSOD, I didnt note it down (stupid of me maybe), but I found this however in the event viewer:

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000a0 (0x000000000000000b, 0x000000017fe8a000, 0x0000000000000003, 0x000000004bdbd000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 020711-23961-01."

Is that what you mean?

rwoz

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

You are right, it wasnt memtest86 which everyone seem to be talking about, it was a test that ran inside the OS.

Its not prebuilt, I built it myself... Im not in the wrong part of the forum or anything, am I?

banthracis

Distinguished
No, you're in right section, you just never answered Jack's question as to whether you meant you build it yourself or it was bought.

Go try running memtest86 http://www.memtest.org/ and see what happens.

Also make sure RAM timings and voltage are set in BIOS to manf specs.

loukur

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Yes, that's what I meant. That error is pointing at a device or driver. Need to decode a bit further, but Bug Check 0xA means: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Microsoft "If you have received a blue screen error, or stop code, the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from data loss. A hardware device, its driver, or related software might have caused this error" Great, so it's something broke in the computer. Wow, I never would have guessed.

The parameters are supposed to be thus:
Parameter Description
1 Memory referenced
2 IRQL at time of reference
3 0: Read or 1: Write
4 Address which referenced memory

They aren't. Second parameter is not an IRQ. There is no parameter showing 0 or 1 for Read or Write. There is an example of what an 0x0A should look like here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063. Your example looks nothing like that. I am not sure how to decode what you have posted. Maybe post your MEMORY.DMP and as much detail from the event view as relatee to the same exact timeframe.

banthracis

Distinguished
I'm not a big fan of error codes, they often confuse more than they help.

I remember one time I got a "clock interrupt not received error" and CPU associated codes and in the end it turned out it was a software issue with Everest causing BSOD after installing a second GPU.

That one drove me crazy for nearly a week with hardware swaps in of good parts, and swapping our parts into other PC's showing no issues.

loukur

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Okay, what is your suggestion for diagnosing and repairing?

banthracis

Distinguished
Depends on the situation really. In the OP's case likely candidates are RAM and PSU. So swapping/testing those is the best first step.

If no boot, then beep codes are very helpful.

Some other general help

Always go through our excellent sticky first if it's a new build or you've made any hardware changes.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Memtest can eliminate RAM.
Prime 95 CPU
Furmark GPU

Using safe mode is an easy way to eliminate drivers as an issue though it gets a bit more difficult to diagnose other software issues/conflicts.

The easiest way to eliminate software completely is to have a fully functional OS image somewhere to boot off of and try testing.

Diagnosing Hardware issues outside CPU/GPU/RAm comes down to trial and error really. Swap in either known working parts, or put current parts in a known working PC.

rwoz

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
You are right, I actually found something which I think is a speaker, it came with the case. Well, I guess I then only can expect one single beep...