FishAssassin

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Hey guys

I recently switched my computer from a older mid tower case (cooler master praetorian) to the HAF X nvidia edition. Everything seems to have transferred well enough, except, now when i play certain games (especially source based steam games), my computer stalls every few seconds.

I think this may be because my PSU isnt strong enough to support the extra and larger fans, but im not sure.

Any help/insight you may have would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

FishAssassin

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
Im running windows 7 x86
PSU is a 600w

1 EVGA gts 450 (superclocked)
1 1 Terabyte Caviar Black Harddrive
1 70 gb Western Digital hd
Processor is an AMD dual core 2.67ghz
1 Creative soundblaster x-fi sound card
1 Sony DVD RW
1 Sony DVD ROM
1 Netgear GA311 gigabit adapter (network card)
The motherboard is an ATX, republic of gamers- crosshair version, its fairly old.

And of course then i have the CPU fan, the top case fan, the front case fan, the back case fan, and the side case fan.

sorry im not totally sure about some of these things, my buddy built it then shipped it to me, ive just been upgrading it as time progresses.

-Fish

Yes it depends on brand, because I can't imagine a good 600W PSU would have much problems with your system.
Personally I would only recommend an 850W PSU, firstly if it's needed immediately or secondly if there are fairly concrete plans to get multiple high end power hungry graphics cards. Otherwise 650 or 750W are probably ample for the lifetime of the build, again, as long as it is high quality.

You are right, $90 is a very favourable price for such a high quality 850W PSU, but many people don't consider rebates to be a sure thing, so some would say that he should be prepared to pay full price for it, and hopefully he'd get the rebate if he went for it.

Altho there are some pretty decent quality ~600-650W PSUs that are around $60-$70 straight up and also come with rebates, which is what I would suggest to someone with more of a budget, or someone who doesn't want to spend that much on a PSU.

Well if it's a PSU problem....it's certainly not the result of the load imposed by the additional fans. But what you have will certainly not handle a 2nd 570, so might as well take advantage of the XFX Black being $90 .... it's a 10.0 [performance rated PSU ... to get something comparable from somewhere else, you'd have to spend $155 for a Corsair HX