ATI 4870 X2

Hello,
I am getting pixalization and blockey display faults on my computer mostly while playing L4DEAD 2. but also when just internet browsing. I am unable to update my drivers without getting a blue screen on reboot, I then have to go into safe mode and dissable one of my display adapters.

MOTHERBOARD M3A32-MVP DELUXE SERIES
AMD PHENON II X4 940 PROCESSOR
Windows 7 ultimate x64-bit
ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
DRIVER 8.791.0.0
DirectX 11

In Device manager it shows two display adapters
PCI bus 3, device 0, function 0

I have to disable this one to get the display to work
PCI bus 4, device 0, function 0

hope you can help.
3 answers Last reply
More about 4870
  1. Pad1 said:
    Hello,
    I am getting pixalization and blockey display faults on my computer mostly while playing L4DEAD 2. but also when just internet browsing. I am unable to update my drivers without getting a blue screen on reboot, I then have to go into safe mode and dissable one of my display adapters.

MOTHERBOARD M3A32-MVP DELUXE SERIES
    AMD PHENON II X4 940 PROCESSOR
    Windows 7 ultimate x64-bit
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
    DRIVER 8.791.0.0
    DirectX 11

In Device manager it shows two display adapters
    PCI bus 3, device 0, function 0

I have to disable this one to get the display to work
    PCI bus 4, device 0, function 0

hope you can help.

I would try booting to safe mode with network support, disable all of your screens but 1 and be sure to unplug them from your GPU, then uninstall your ATI drivers and catalyst and go download the latest Driver/Catalyst from their site(AMD DRIVERS) and give that a try.
  2. What are you temps?

As for drivers make sure to remove the previosu using driver sweeper. Not usually necessary but useful when having problems.
  3. Well it definitely sounds like GPU failing as in going bad cause i had the same problem with my HD3870 about 1 year ago, had weird symbols on the screen no matter what i was doing and then i got a replacement from Asus(HD4850), just last week i just ordered a XFX HD6850(Life time warranty FTW.)

Anyway who is the make of your card and when did you buy it?.....you might be covered under warranty still like i was, I would look in to that before its to late and just get it replaced.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Displays