Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

My first gaming build critque needed

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 6, 2011 8:42:17 PM

This will be the 1st time building a gaming, digital art, animation pc this summer since my iBUYPOWER pc is out of date. I would like to know if there's anything that I can change to save costs, and if all of these are compatible with each other. Thanks.

I want to play Brink, Homefront, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Crysis 2, Deus Ex 3. And I don't want to upgrade for another 4 years.

Case: $100 - Coolermaster HAF-922 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119197

CPU Processor: $208.99 Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115067

OR (WHEN IT'S FIXED) $333.99 Intel Core i7-2600K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115070

Cooler: $40 - Scythe SCMG 2100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835185142

MoBo: $225 - Asus Sabertooth - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131601

RAM: $109 - (2 x 4GB) Corsair CAS 9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820145324

Graphics Card: $335.49 PNY XLR8 GTX 570 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with HDMI Mini Output VCGGTX570XPB

OR $350 - Asus GTX 570 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814121412

Hard Drive: $65 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SSD - $200 - OCZ Vertex 2 2.5" 120GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820227551

PSU - $110 - XFX Black Edition 850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817207001

Case fan: $22 CM Red 200 mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835103072

Optical drives: Re-using previous DVD drives

TIM - $5 - Shin Etsu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835150080

~$1420 Some prices on newegg went up :( 
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2011 8:53:28 PM

Why get the i7-875K? IMO it is a waste of money for just gaming, since the i5-760 meets every gaming need.

Both the i7-800s and i5s will work with that mobo. Don't know too much about that specific board though.

Change your RAM to either 2x2GB or 2x4GB. That triple channel set is made for the X58 chipsets (i7-900 CPUs), and won't work well in your system.

I would change the WD Black to a Samsung F3; it's cheaper, faster, and still very high quality.

That power supply is a ridiculous waste of money. Thermaltake doesn't make great PSUs, and you system as configured will maybe draw 550W. Get a good 650W PSU like the Antec Truepower 650 or Earthwatts 650. They're inexpensive, and run quite well.
February 6, 2011 9:11:31 PM

cpu is overkill, psu is overkill, wrong ram,ditch the second optic drive,get a solid state drive for the boot drive with the money you just saved.
Related resources
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2011 9:17:25 PM

Hello FPSgamer_10;
What in your iBUYPOWER pc that might be worth moving forward? HDD? DVD? anything else?
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2011 9:18:15 PM

Are you using any special website to put this together? We can look it over for bargains.
February 6, 2011 9:20:07 PM

WR2 said:
Are you using any special website to put this together? We can look it over for bargains.


Using Newegg, and some components listed by people.
February 6, 2011 9:21:06 PM

fatkid35 said:
cpu is overkill, psu is overkill, wrong ram,ditch the second optic drive,get a solid state drive for the boot drive with the money you just saved.


Is this the right one? G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK

And idk about ditching the 2nd optical drive.. I've had 2 pcs prebuilt that had optical drives that failed on me.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2011 9:23:29 PM

That RAM kit will work fine. It's matched to the dual channel motherboard.

Are you thinking about a future 2nd graphics card, a SLI setup?
What the resolution on your monitor?
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2011 9:25:01 PM

fpsgamer_10 said:
I've had 2 pcs prebuilt that had optical drives that failed on me.
You can always grab a replacement if needed. You can pick one up almost anywhere.
Anything you can upgrade or add later - do it later to save $$ and get the best parts you can now.
February 6, 2011 9:29:00 PM

WR2 said:
That RAM kit will work fine. It's matched to the dual channel motherboard.

Are you thinking about a future 2nd graphics card, a SLI setup?
What the resolution on your monitor?


It's a possibility for the future, and with an SLI setup, I want to have a PSU that can do that job in the future. I currently use a 32" LG 1080p LCD TV. My crappy Westinghouse monitor died on me just 2 years.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2011 9:32:09 PM

Ok, we can do that.
We'll swap out the CrossfireX only motherboard to one that gives you the CF & SLI option.

Do you have an alternate case choice? Thermaltake ArmorPlus @ $185 plus $25 shipping is a lot to spend on something that doesnt make the system go fast.
February 6, 2011 9:32:19 PM

WR2 said:
Hello FPSgamer_10;
What in your iBUYPOWER pc that might be worth moving forward? HDD? DVD? anything else?


I can re-use the DVD drive. I was thinking of re-using the Thermaltake 800w PSU, but apparently I just found out that it's crap.
February 6, 2011 9:36:00 PM

WR2 said:
Ok, we can do that.
We'll swap out the CrossfireX only motherboard to one that gives you the CF & SLI option.

Do you have an alternate case choice? Thermaltake ArmorPlus @ $185 plus $25 shipping is a lot to spend on something that doesnt make the system go fast.


Any recommendations on an SLI motherboard? I chose the Thermaltake AmorPlus because my NZXT Alpha case is too small for current graphics card (and as you probably know, they're becoming monster sized). I don't have an alternative at this point.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2011 9:44:14 PM

Motherboard: BIOSTAR T5 XE $104 CFX or SLI option.

You don't have to go full tower to find a case with room for the biggest graphics card. There are plenty of great gaming cases for a lot less.

February 6, 2011 9:47:06 PM

fpsgamer_10 said:
This will be the 1st time building a gaming, digital art, animation pc this summer since my iBUYPOWER pc is out of date. I would like to know if there's anything that I can change to save costs, and if all of these are compatible with each other. Thanks.


Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive



I would recommend spending an extra couple bucks on a Western Digital Caviar Black Drive (I believe the opposite was mentioned earlier) but they come with 64mb of cache memory now and a 5 year warranty that the Samsung does not have.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2011 11:26:51 PM
Share

fpsgamer_10 said:
It's a possibility for the future, and with an SLI setup, I want to have a PSU that can do that job in the future. I currently use a 32" LG 1080p LCD TV. My crappy Westinghouse monitor died on me just 2 years.


In that case you'll need a MoBo w/ twin slots and a bigger PSU. Two 570's want a 850 watter......

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

But unless you need this immediately, I'd wait for Sandy Bridge defect to be fixed and get it in April.

Case - $100 - Coolermaster HAF-922 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Case Fan - Later - CM Red 200 mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU - $110 - XFX Black Edition 850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MoBo - $395 - ASUS P8P67 Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
CPU - incl above - Intel Core i5-2500K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cooler - $40 - Scythe SCMG 2100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
TIM - $5 - Shin Etsu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM - $109 - (2 x 4GB) Corsair CAS 9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GFX - $350 - Asus GTX 570 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GFX - - Same
HD - $55 - Samsung F3 1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SSD - $200 - OCZ Vertex 2 2.5" 120GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
DVD Writer - $22 - Asus 24X DRW-24B3L w/ LS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's $1,386

If ya gotta get it now.....

MoBo - $225 - Asus Sabertooth - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU - $209 - Intel i5-760 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 7, 2011 1:52:37 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
In that case you'll need a MoBo w/ twin slots and a bigger PSU. Two 570's want a 850 watter......

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

But unless you need this immediately, I'd wait for Sandy Bridge defect to be fixed and get it in April.

Case - $100 - Coolermaster HAF-922 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Case Fan - Later - CM Red 200 mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU - $110 - XFX Black Edition 850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MoBo - $395 - ASUS P8P67 Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
CPU - incl above - Intel Core i5-2500K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cooler - $40 - Scythe SCMG 2100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
TIM - $5 - Shin Etsu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM - $109 - (2 x 4GB) Corsair CAS 9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GFX - $350 - Asus GTX 570 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GFX - - Same
HD - $55 - Samsung F3 1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SSD - $200 - OCZ Vertex 2 2.5" 120GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
DVD Writer - $22 - Asus 24X DRW-24B3L w/ LS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's $1,386

If ya gotta get it now.....

MoBo - $225 - Asus Sabertooth - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU - $209 - Intel i5-760 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Wow, nice. Thank you very much.
The ASUS P8P67 Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.575884 and Intel Core i7-2600K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115070 are deactivated.. I'll wait for better options.
February 7, 2011 1:55:29 AM

Best answer selected by FPSgamer_10.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 7, 2011 2:51:43 AM

two gtx 570s will run fine on a 750w, but the xfx 850w be is on such a big sale @ newegg right now
February 7, 2011 4:58:39 AM

I was looking at my iBUYPOWER pc and it looks like I can re-use the case fans, and dvd drives. That should save me about $60.
!