Closed Solved

RAM WEI score went from 7.4 to 1.0

Please Help! I just upgraded my computer from the AMD Phenom II quad core 945 to the FX-8150. Before the upgrade I updated the bios, restarted the computer. Everything worked fine. I installed the new chip, computer started no problem. I went to windows upgrade and installed SP1 for Windows 7 64 bit. Now, my computer runs like crap. I checked the bios, RAM speed is 1592 MHz. When I check the ASUS update utility, it reports the speed at 666 Mhz. I rechecked my Windows Experience Score and my RAm score went from 7.4 to 1.0. I ran the memory diagnostic program, says there is no problem. I did a system restore and removed the updates but the problem persists. I would appreciate any thoughts on this. This is my first post so go easy on me.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about score
  1. Swapping out CPUs is a tricky thing for the OS to get hold of, and sometimes requires a reformat (though not always). In this case I would try the reformat option before panicking.
    Also, make sure the settings within Bios are set correctly (ram speeds, OC/CPU speed, timings, etc.) as these can give a drastic performance hit if not set correctly.
    WEI scores by the slowest item in the computer. It is a scores of all 1's across the board? Or is there a single component that it is having issues with?
    Does resource monitor/task manager see all of your cores and ram?

Don't worry about being new; We'll take care of ya ;)
  2. I wanted to give an update. The performance monitor is showing 16GB of memory as "Hardware Reserved" and only 245MB available.
  3. bodymech said:
    I wanted to give an update. The performance monitor is showing 16GB of memory as "Hardware Reserved" and only 245MB available.

U need to do a clean install! U cannot expect this to work properly, do u?
  4. bodymech said:
    I wanted to give an update. The performance monitor is showing 16GB of memory as "Hardware Reserved" and only 245MB available.

This is a significant RAM or BIOS issue and not an OS issue. The BIOS has 'deemed' the RAM as 'Bad' and has turned it off to the OS.

Q - What exact RAM is installed? ; provide a link.
    Q - What BIOS version?
    Q - What DIMM slots are you using?
    Q - What exact ASUS MOBO? ; it MUST be an AM3+ with correct and updated BIOS.

edit: IMO do the following:
    1. Clear CMOS (Jumper or Button depending on MOBO); see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0
    2. Update BIOS using ASUS Easy Flash 2; see my link and video -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash
  5. My Ram is Corsair Vengance, 4 x 4 GB, DDR3 1600. Here is the link to it:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143
    All 4 dimms are in use.
    MB is the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    My BIOS version is 0901.
    Windows is recognizing the 16 Gb but is saying only 256MB is available.
    I have other memory, I am going to swap them out to see if it fixes the problem.
    I have built at least 15 computers and have never had a memory issue. Weird.
  6. Best answer
    DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v ; 4x4GB ; light tan 2x
    ref Sabertooth 990FX - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX/
    0901 = latest ; FX-8150 min 0813
    ---------------------------------------- The above is for my reference.

BIOS:

AI Overclock Tuner -> Auto
    Memory Frequency -> DDR3-1600MHz
    DRAM Timing Control / Enter
    CAS -> 9
    TRCD -> 9
    TRP -> 9
    TRAS -> 24
    --
    Command Rate -> 2
    --
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v~1.60v ; might help with full DIMM population
    //Failure might require CPU/NB Offset//

Save Exit = Yes

IF it still fails then for a test, remove the 2 sticks from the Dark Brown DIMM slots and boot.

The HW Reserved is as I said the BIOS has turned-off the DIMMs to prevent errors.
  7. Thanks a lot. I will make those changes to the bios. I did do a clean install and looked like everything was working great until I get the BSOD with a memory management error. Hopefully these changes will do the trick.
  8. Well that seemed to do the trick. My RAM score is back to 7.4 and all is working well again. Thanks a bunch.
  9. Cool! :sol:
  10. Best answer selected by bodymech.
  11. This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Computer Product