How good are the AMD stock fans, noise-wise?

yiplong

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I am building a low-power PC to use in my bed room, mainly for web browsing and some light office work. The CPU I am looking at are those cheaper Athlon II types. I am not going to OC, but b/c this machine is for the bed room, I do want it to be very quiet. From past experience, AMD stock fans tend to be super noisy, but perhaps they have improved???

yiplong

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
The last stock fan I used (Athlon T-bird) was so loud that I could hear the thing from the other side of the room. I definitely cannot have something like that in my bed room. If it's just minor noise (cannot hear if more than 2-3 meters away) then it will be okay.

its a very hit or miss thing. some fans are loud some not so much. it also depends on the case.
if the case has a sympathetic vibration it will intensify the noise.
the quietest cpu fan i have ever had was the zalman 9500a led i got 1 for 13 pounds off ocuk. it was so quiet in fact you couldn't hear it above the case fans and they themselves were not loud... just get case fans that are rated under 20db and you will have a quiet case.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

My case fans are louder than my cpu hsf.

The fans are noisy when maxed-out at high RPMs.

But most likely you can under-volt the AthlonII (with C&Q enabled) -0.125v or so to drop temps --- as long as the 'minimum' at C&Q idle is 0.85v and above.

Then you may experiment in the 'Smart Fan' menu in the BIOS to drive the RPMs down (in some cases, with luck, to zero).