Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best USB wireless adapter for gaming

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 29, 2010 11:28:06 AM

Hi guys. Im looking to buy a wireless usb adapter for my laptop as the inbuilt wireless is poor and I am getting large lag spikes every few minutes which I dont get on my wireless pc. Range is not a problem. I just need a USB adapter which is good for gaming with. Any suggestions? Information from people who own one and game on one would be great:) . Please dont suggest that i buy a pci card instead, it has to be usb, iv seen so many people asking the same question as me just to get the answer "get pci card instead"!!
Thank you, Mike
a b F Wireless
September 29, 2010 12:03:06 PM

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure *any* wireless adapter (USB or otherwise) is going to prove all that much better than any other wireless adapter for gaming purposes, particularly if range is not the issue and you’re already receiving a strong, reliable signal. Wireless is *inherently* more prone to lag (or what we call "latency") issues. Wireless is subject to more noise, more opportunities for interference, etc., by its very nature. A lot of it goes unnoticed when using business/office applications because these are just less sensitive to the lag, but it’s there nonetheless. The solution to wireless isn't a better wireless adapter, the solution is WIRE.

But if you must use wireless (and I understand, sometimes that's the only viable option), don’t hold your breath expecting to find some miracle device out there unless you just happen to have a particularly poor wireless adapter at the moment when compared to the norm (which seems unlikely). I just get the impression you believe (erroneously) that if you just find the *right* USB wireless adapter that will solve your problem. I have strong doubts this is the case. But I certainly hope you do.

Remember too, there are two sides to every wireless connection. You could just as well blame the wireless router for your woes as the wireless client, esp. if range and signal strength are not the issue. Or perhaps the culprit isn't even wireless, but something further upstream, beginning w/ the ISP.

I know all of this sound particularly negative, but it’s not meant to be, I’m just trying to set your expectations correctly. Believe me, if I had a specific recommendation, I’d make it, but I don’t precisely because I don’t think in the end it will really matter for the reasons stated. But I’m always willing to be proven wrong.

P.S. Have you tried using different wireless channels? I suppose too it’s possible that a 5.0GHz USB wireless adapter might experience less “noise” simply because there are fewer ppl using those channels. Of course, that would require a compatible 5.0GHz wireless router too.

Score
September 29, 2010 1:36:05 PM

First of all, thank you very much for the quick reply. I believe there is a variation in usb adapters like there is in any other component, of course you get what you pay for. A wired connection would be lovely but its impossible, I'm at universtiy where the only internet option is wireless, I have no control over that. It isn't the internet connection definately because 1- I had the same problems at home exactly and 2- I get 22mbs download and 19 upload with 9 ping on speedtest.net.

I know wireless is better than this because I have a desktop computer at home which is wireless through a pci card and I have never had any problems with it like I have with this inbuilt laptop card.

I'm not looking for the "right" or "perfect" usb adapter, I'm just looking for one which allows me to game comfortably with. I can cope with the odd drop in connection but every 2 minutes is unacceptable really.

Again thank you for the reply though
Score
Related resources
September 29, 2010 3:48:47 PM

mickeyd24442 said:
I'm not looking for the "right" or "perfect" usb adapter, I'm just looking for one which allows me to game comfortably with. I can cope with the odd drop in connection but every 2 minutes is unacceptable really.

There is this Ubiquiti Wifistation Ext I tried out, it doesn't seem to have a problem when I used it to play online game like Heroes of Newerth. It's reasonable price and seems to have nice support forum backing it up.

http://www.ubnt.com/wifistation
Score
September 29, 2010 4:05:11 PM

iamchucky said:
There is this Ubiquiti Wifistation Ext I tried out, it doesn't seem to have a problem when I used it to play online game like Heroes of Newerth. It's reasonable price and seems to have nice support forum backing it up.

Thank you very much iamchucky, I will look into the product
Score
September 29, 2010 4:37:21 PM

iamchucky said:

Hi iamchucky. I have looked into the Ubiquiti wifistation. Although it looks good and looks perfect for what I need, there are few (if any) reviews of it that i can find which means that im taking a bit of a leap-of-faith when buying it. Is there anything more that you can tell me about it? Such as ease of setup, connectivity issues? Thanks again, Mike
Score
October 15, 2011 2:25:41 PM

I've had the same problem - I was using a cheapy $25 netgear usb adapter when I tried to play MMO's and the like. It was terrible, I hardly got above 2 bars. Anyway, I decided to upgrade after 3 or so days and went out and got a Netgear Wireless N-300 USB Adapter for around $50 - $60 dollars. Now I get an average of 4 bars, which is a great change. Unfortunately you can't buy this off the site. However, if you want that extra kick I recommend getting a N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter. It's $90 off the site, and I'm planning on getting it for my other desktop.

Good luck!
Score
August 11, 2012 6:20:34 AM

mickeyd24442 said:
Hi guys. Im looking to buy a wireless usb adapter for my laptop as the inbuilt wireless is poor and I am getting large lag spikes every few minutes which I dont get on my wireless pc. Range is not a problem. I just need a USB adapter which is good for gaming with. Any suggestions? Information from people who own one and game on one would be great:) . Please dont suggest that i buy a pci card instead, it has to be usb, iv seen so many people asking the same question as me just to get the answer "get pci card instead"!!
Thank you, Mike

This works really well for me. And I game alot.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN722N-150Mbps-Wireles...

TP-Link TL-WN722N
Score
a b F Wireless
August 11, 2012 9:31:39 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!