Worth waiting for fixed Sandy Bridge chipsets to build gaming machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick2099

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I have been trying to come up with builds to mainly play Rift, once it comes out, and World of Warcraft.
The hardest thing for me to choose has been the CPU.

Two of the CPUs that I was looking at are:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 30.26
Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz

Do you think that it would be worth waiting for fixed Sandy Bridge chipsets, and when are they expected to be available? If not, is there a better CPU for the money than the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T? I was trying to keep the price of the rig under or around $1,000 if possible.

Solution
If you don't need it right away, it's probly worth waiting. By the time Sandy Bridge gets going again, Zambezi will also be out and give it a run for its money

swizzle62

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I have the same question under different circumstances.

Looking at building a desktop in the 500-600ish dollar range for web browsing and non-serious gaming (Counterstrike/L4D2) (Just the case and components (no monitor ect..))

Small Background information

Forgive my Ignorance, Hopefully this is even useful but i am currently running a WindowsXP from 2005 with a intel Core2 CPU @ 1.86ghz and 2gig ram. I play CSS with the lowest quality game settings at 11 - 50 FPS depending on the map and whether or not i am looking at a wall.

I'm hoping this computer can run those quicker as well as multitask quicker between youtube/forums/ect/& games / writing word documents - Thats really about it. I don't care about a Perfect gaming, but just the best deal for the money truly in the 400-700$ range. I would spend up to 700$ if it is just that much more reliable and worthwhile, or 400$ or so if its not.

So my Question is: At this dollar range, is waiting for Sandy Bridge, not necessary but, worthwhile? Because I definitely could wait, I just think that my $ amount would Trump even getting Sandy Bridge because it would be top of the line and probably out of my budget.. But perhaps not thats why i am asking. :??: I will ask more questions later but if i should wait then i will wait
~Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.