Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AM3 chip on AM3+ board

Last response: in CPUs
May 6, 2011 4:19:19 PM

Might be a dumb question but just want to make sure before I make a purchases for my new build....If i got an AM3+ board, could I use a AM3 type CPU like a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, then upgrade to the new AM3+ chips when they are out?

More about : am3 chip am3 board

a b à CPUs
May 6, 2011 4:21:57 PM

Yes, that is possible. I've been away from computers for some weeks, is Bulldozer released now? However, I suggest you check the supported processors list on your manufacturer's official page.
Score
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2011 4:23:09 PM

From what I've read they are supposed to be compatible, but I'm not sure at what cost (performance-wise). I really like that they keep the sockets compatible, that's a very good feature.
Score
Related resources
May 6, 2011 4:23:28 PM

Not released yet, i think June....
Score
May 6, 2011 4:24:24 PM

festerovic said:
From what I've read they are supposed to be compatible, but I'm not sure at what cost (performance-wise). I really like that they keep the sockets compatible, that's a very good feature.

I would think you shouldnt lose performace when using an AM3 chip on a AM3+ board, the other way around I could see that
Score
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2011 4:25:10 PM

AM3+ (Bulldozer) won't work on an AM3 socket.
Score
May 6, 2011 4:26:48 PM

omnisome said:

What I was asking if AM3 CPU works on a AM3+ board...
Score
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2011 4:28:57 PM

djprotege said:
I would think you shouldnt lose performace when using an AM3 chip on a AM3+ board, the other way around I could see that

yeah you are right, I think I'm asleep at the keys.
Score
May 6, 2011 4:29:51 PM

Thanks for the reply's everyone!
Score
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2011 4:30:19 PM

djprotege said:
What I was asking if AM3 CPU works on a AM3+ board...

djprotege said:

omnisome said:
Score
August 29, 2011 6:54:33 PM

sorry to bump an old thread but I'm pretty sure the new bulldozers will work on AM3 boards... isn't that right?
Score
August 29, 2011 7:59:09 PM

ok please read this carefully so you dont make the mistake i did, nothingn too big but sorts allot of *** out in the future

basically am3+ will work with all AM3 cpus, as well as AM4 CPUS, or am3+ cpus, so its good to get it for fure compatibility

But before you buy the build, please check if your ram is certified by your mobo company. For example i bought an msi 870a g54, and the ram wasnt compatible with the mobo, and so i had to return it, i bought another ram from the list that was given from the motherboards page and im awaiting the delivery of it.

But yeah you should really check to see if your parts are compatible with the mobo. Im not just talking about ddr3 1333 mhz stuff though. Two of the identical basic specification ram, one may not work because the advanced specifications may be different.

I dunno too much about that but yeah, deifnately if there is a list of rams that are compatible with your mobo, check that list out please.

If not, get a good brand one like gskill or corsair, kingston (not value, well i was not reccomended to buy value ram but its not that bad).

Just make sure your ram is not generic, i made the mistake of buying real cheap ram that was generic.

also do a memtest86+ test on your ram afterwards. If you get alot of errors you may get BSOD's in the future.

Also about the phenom x6 cpu, imo if your going to be doing alot of multitasking then yes x6 is fine, but if youre getting it for gaming, just go with a 955 x4, or a 965 if you really want some performance cheap.
Score
a c 745 à CPUs
August 29, 2011 8:12:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!