Help me help my mom please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hey Guys,

My mom wrote me the following email. She makes sewing videos with camtasia (I think that is the name of the program she uses to record her screen).

The email:

Got my computer back. They took out my dedicated graphic card and said I need a new one. Thet switched my graphics to work on Windows graphic card for now.

What I had was: 512 MB NIVIDIA GEFORCE 8500GT,TV-out,DVI-I,HDMI

I want to go up to a 1GB card because I had problems when recording my videos with the 512MB.

So, can you find me a very good 1GB graphic card ASAP and put it in for me?

What you can do is find one and then e-mail me the link of where I can buy it. Then I'll pay directly for it and have it sent to me. Then when it comes in I'll let you know so you could come and install it for me - if you so kindly would.

Mom

I would like to tell her the best value card that will do what she needs it to do. Can you guys please help point me in the right direction of what I should be looking for? She is in kind of a hurry I think to be able to get more videos out before Christmas.

Thanks everyone!

Solution
Yeah, I don't believe the 8500GT was the issue before. It is more likely a faster processor or hard drive perhaps would help with what you are talking about.
But if she is working with integrated graphics a card of some sort is a good idea.
This card should be overkill really but it is pretty cheap and actually has the 1gb of memory she requests(even if it really doesn't matter);
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131360

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Whether she has a 512MB GPU or 1 1GB GPU it will have little or no effect on her making videos. The GPU's memory really isn't a player in video rendering unless she is using some very advanced software editing software and with an old 8500GT, I am pretty sure she doesn't need high-end stuff.

So, how much do you want to spend?

Yeah, I don't believe the 8500GT was the issue before. It is more likely a faster processor or hard drive perhaps would help with what you are talking about.
But if she is working with integrated graphics a card of some sort is a good idea.
This card should be overkill really but it is pretty cheap and actually has the 1gb of memory she requests(even if it really doesn't matter);
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131360

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1 to jyjjy. This is a great buy for a decent performing, all around GPU. I used 4650s in several systems and I am very please with them overall. Good luck!

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

I will try to get her processor, hard drive, and memory specs for you guys to comment on...as well as what she is looking to spend. I think this might be on one of her older computers that she wants to keep Vista on because some of her sewing programs only work on Vista and not 7. I will let you know as soon as I find out. I'd also like to mention here (good or bad) that she has a preference towards GeForce over Radeon. I personally like the value you get with Radeon, but I think GeForce might have less problems working with certain programs or Windows without having to mess with any driver issues (at least I think that might be why she leans toward GeForce). Also, she wants a little overkill I think, but doesn't want to spend frivolously for something she will never need.

Could you please explain what you meant by "if she is working with integrated graphics"? I'm not sure what you mean.

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Here are her specs for her computer. Will a graphics card help her or could it be something else? What is the best graphics card for her in this price range (or lower) for what she wants to do?

"Thanks for what you are researching for me!

I'd be willing to spend up to $100-150 for a great graphic card.

I think I may have integrated graphics in my sewing programs because they do display 3D graphics of the designs that I am creating. I use Camtasia to record the sewing programs. I am not sure about the integrated graphic, but they may because they take the pictures of what I am video taping plus record audio.

Below are the specs you asked for:

Computer: HP Pavillion Media Center m8100Y

Processor: Intell(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q6600 (2.4GHz)

Hard Drive: 250GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

Memory: 4GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (4x1024)"

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I just found out this is actually for her newer computer...she just has Vista on it. It has a 350 W power supply and she has a DVI cable that she wants to hook up to the card.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am still a huge fan of the HD4650 and I think it would serve you well. Many motherboards, like nearly all HPs have a video adapter built into the motherboard itself (the integrated video or graphics adapter or GPU). This is fine for general use, but not for advanced computing. A discrete GPU (a.k.a. video card) plugs into the motherboard, disabling the on-board/integrated GPU.

The HD4650 will do you guys well.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed. Good luck to you and your mom! HOOAH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.