Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Monitor goes to sleep mode during games.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 7, 2010 9:27:49 PM

I have a ATI HD 3870 and a 20" Acer G205h Monitor which is not even a year old. I have read around forums and hear people saying it could be the power supply, or a bad card and many other ideas.
But I want to know the correct answer.

The monitor goes to sleep mode after about 5-30mins of gameplay. Then i have to restart computer for it to work again.
December 7, 2010 9:35:38 PM

What OS are you running?
Score
0
a c 219 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 7, 2010 9:38:11 PM

It does sound like your GPU is overheating. A faulty PSU can contribute to this issue. What make/model is your current PSU? Also, do you have another PSU (like in another system) that you could swap to use as a troubleshooting tool?
Score
0
Related resources
December 7, 2010 9:45:45 PM

timmy121 said:
What OS are you running?

Windows 7 Professional x64
Score
0
December 7, 2010 9:48:36 PM

COLGeek said:
It does sound like your GPU is overheating. A faulty PSU can contribute to this issue. What make/model is your current PSU? Also, do you have another PSU (like in another system) that you could swap to use as a troubleshooting tool?


I thought that was the problem too. Couple days ago my GPU would run at about 58 C when doing nothing but serfing the web. So I decided to clean it yesterday and did so. I have collected a big pile of dust and now it run at about 49 C , about the same temps when i just got this card.
Score
0
a c 219 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 7, 2010 9:50:47 PM

crazy359 said:
I thought that was the problem too. Couple days ago my GPU would run at about 58 C when doing nothing but serfing the web. So I decided to clean it yesterday and did so. I have collected a big pile of dust and now it run at about 49 C , about the same temps when i just got this card.

What make and model of PSU are you using? That would be the next most likely culprit.
Score
0
December 7, 2010 10:54:40 PM

http://www.pcvonline.com/productDetails.aspx?prodID=956...

this is my PSU. less then a year old.

I also encountered another problem.
I hear a click in my hard drive and then the OS just hangs and after about 30 seconds everything goes back to normal. This happens anywhere from every 2 mins to 1 hour.
Score
0
December 7, 2010 10:56:06 PM

Would formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS work?
Score
0
a c 219 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 8, 2010 1:24:12 AM

If your PSU is defective, reformatting the HDD and re-installing the OS won't fix your problem. Since your system has been crashing, you may have some data/file corruption going on.

If your mobo has integrated video, I suggest you pull your 3870 and see if the system will boot otherwise. I also suggest you run a repair on your Windows install to clean up any corrupted system files.

On your PSU, I don't want to sound critical, but I wouldn't trust that PSU very far at all. I would suggest you purchase a quality PSU like the one below. PSUs are one of those things where you truly get what you pay for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Last, do you have SMART enabled in your BIOS. It will let you know if your HDD is having problems. Power problems can cause all sorts of issues with your system, including many that you are experiencing. That is where I believe the evidence points for now.
Score
0
December 8, 2010 11:21:09 AM

Hmm....i had the same click noise on my system(Windows 7 64-bit)turned out to be my power setting in the control panel, you need to go to power options and set the Plan to High perfomance.

You are probbly on a Balanced plan like i was and it made my display and hard drive spin down to save power and that Click is the hard drive spinning back up to speed.
Score
0

Best solution

December 8, 2010 12:01:22 PM

crazy359 said:
http://www.pcvonline.com/productDetails.aspx?prodID=956...

this is my PSU. less then a year old.

I also encountered another problem.
I hear a click in my hard drive and then the OS just hangs and after about 30 seconds everything goes back to normal. This happens anywhere from every 2 mins to 1 hour.


If you are hearing a click followed by a system hang it is 100% without-a-doubt a hard drive read/write error. A reformat would not fix this either (it may even make the problem worse by allocating critical system data to the bad sectors). What you are hearing is the HDD trying to read the bad sector by resetting the head, thus slamming it against the backstop at the edge of the platters *click*. Timmy121 could be right, but if it's followed by a system hang it's usually more serious than that. The hard disk should only shut down after a period of dormancy no less than 5 minutes or so with default settings. If you're gaming, this is definitely something that wouldn't happen. Try timmy's suggestion first, as it's the simplest course of action. If that doesn't work, download a hard drive diagnostic tool such as SpinRite (highly recommended) or HDTune and see what turns up.

Hope this helps! :D 
Share
December 11, 2010 2:08:08 AM

Best answer selected by crazy359.
Score
0
December 11, 2010 2:08:42 AM

Psychoteddy said:
If you are hearing a click followed by a system hang it is 100% without-a-doubt a hard drive read/write error. A reformat would not fix this either (it may even make the problem worse by allocating critical system data to the bad sectors). What you are hearing is the HDD trying to read the bad sector by resetting the head, thus slamming it against the backstop at the edge of the platters *click*. Timmy121 could be right, but if it's followed by a system hang it's usually more serious than that. The hard disk should only shut down after a period of dormancy no less than 5 minutes or so with default settings. If you're gaming, this is definitely something that wouldn't happen. Try timmy's suggestion first, as it's the simplest course of action. If that doesn't work, download a hard drive diagnostic tool such as SpinRite (highly recommended) or HDTune and see what turns up.

Hope this helps! :D 


I have read this after I did exactly what is written here. This is the best solution (:
Score
0
December 11, 2010 4:35:56 AM

EPIC QUESTION
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 11, 2010 9:15:56 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!