Computer Turning off and on randomly

doitforjohnny

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hey guys,

So a bit of back story to my issue: I bought a new system and had a friend set it up for me. 1400 dollar system everything brand new. The system runs amazingly well....when it actually is working. For some reason it randomly will completely shut down for literally like one or two seconds and then power back up on its own. If I am just surfing the internet or doing small things like that it won't do it all that often, but it will still happen. I recently started playing the Old Republic and it literally would have this happen every 10-15 minutes while I am playing. I updated my BIOS for my MOBO and still had the issue. The RAM I got wasn't on the QVL and all my friends I have asked have said that this sounds like a Memory issue. I have ordered a different memory and after looking at the QVL there was only really one 2x4gb RAM set-up that was on the list so I got that. I am testing that to see if it works, but was wondering if there was any other ways of fixing this issue. All help and thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

Sometimes it could be a power supply issue or a loose power connector.It also could be a setting in the bios , try resetting the bios. Have you loaded all of the drivers off the moptherboard cd and have you updated any. You can try updating the motherboard bios. The QVL memory listing is never a complete list since they never do get to test all of the available memory. So if it is not on the list it doesn't mean that it won't work in that MB.

Bones2525

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
If you can post the graphics card, power supply, and CPU that would be helpful. The graphics card might be too powerful for your PSU, or you might have gotten a faulty/low quality PSU. Run Windows Index Scores, and if it shuts off during the graphics test, that's your answer. New PSU.

doitforjohnny

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Graphics Card: EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-)

PSU: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Bones2525

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Ya. 570 and a 620W doesn't seem to be the best. I wouldn't go below 700 or 750 with a GTX 570. Load the most stressing game you have, and try to get into a particularly stressful scenario. Lots of grenades or something. If it shuts off, that's it.

doitforjohnny

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I was just playing Star Wars old republic on high everything and started fighting and it turned right off after not turning off for the past like 3 hours while I was just browsing the internet.

doitforjohnny

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Alright I appreciate the advice. I am currently waiting on the new RAM to show up already.. worst comes to worst I have 2 more sticks of RAM and fill up all 4 slots with them. If that doesn't work I will try upgrading the PSU. I had already filed for an RMA for the MOBO but wanted to try other things before I sent it back.. I'm sure the time on that RMA will run out, but Newegg seems great so I assume they would have no issue with giving me another one if the PSU doesn't seem to be the issue. Once again, thanks for the advice and I will update you on my situation when I know more about it.