GPU installation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I just received my new machine (Dell Studio XPS 9100). The stock card is an ATI Radeon 5770, which by design I am replacing with an Nvidia GTX460 SE (I already have the card).

One 6-pin connection is plugged into the stock card and there is one additional (open) 6-pin connection coming from the PSU.

So my understanding is that I will plug both 6-pins into the new card.

Question: Bundled to the open 6-pin (which is labeled P9) there is a two-pin connection (labeled P10).

Any idea what that's for? Is it related to the card? I don't think it is...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

dg

Solution
The extra 2 pins on the one connector is for newer video cards that require more power than the 6 pin connector can provide - it adds 2 more ground wires to make a higher wattage connection to the video card (ie. some newer video cards will have one 6-pin and one 8-pin connection required so you'd use the one 6 pin in one and the other 6+2 pin in the other. (the reason they make it a 6+2 is so that it can be used for either a second 6 pin connection or an 8 pin connection along with the first 6 pin connector.

By spec the PCI-e slot can provide up to 75W - a single 6-pin another 75W - 2 6-pins 150W + 75 W through the slot can provide up to 225W --- but some newer cards like the 470, 480 etc. need even more so they require an eight pin...

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks, malmental: That much I'm aware of, but:

Question: Bundled to the open 6-pin (which is labeled P9) there is a two-pin connection (labeled P10).

Any idea what that's for? Is it related to the card?

I think it's for the sound, but there's nowhere on the card to plug it in.

???

The extra 2 pins on the one connector is for newer video cards that require more power than the 6 pin connector can provide - it adds 2 more ground wires to make a higher wattage connection to the video card (ie. some newer video cards will have one 6-pin and one 8-pin connection required so you'd use the one 6 pin in one and the other 6+2 pin in the other. (the reason they make it a 6+2 is so that it can be used for either a second 6 pin connection or an 8 pin connection along with the first 6 pin connector.

By spec the PCI-e slot can provide up to 75W - a single 6-pin another 75W - 2 6-pins 150W + 75 W through the slot can provide up to 225W --- but some newer cards like the 470, 480 etc. need even more so they require an eight pin connector which can provide up to 150W so with a 6 pin and 8 pin you can provide up to 75+75+150 = 300W for the video card !

So lower power card that use less than 75W will not have any connector - those using between 75 and 150W max will have a single 6 pin connection - 150W to 225W max will have 2 6 pin connections and above 225W will have a 6 pin and an 8 pin connection --- and 300W is the max limit for PCI-e video cards which is why Nvidia had to cut performance of the first gen FERMI chips to keep power consumption under 300W or exceed the MAX spec for a single card.

Solution

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

Before I saw your reply I was looking at the rather sparse documentation that came with the card and it does mention the 6- and 8-pin cards, but I didn't make the connection (no pun intended) that the extra 2-pin would serve that purpose. (Cards like the GTX480 require either one 6 and one 8 or a 6, 6, and a 2.

I received the machine too late to start anything but now I'll able to get to it first thing in the morning with no doubts as to what goes where.

Thanks so much JDFan...I can sleep tonight. :hello:

dg

Status
Not open for further replies.