Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus Xonar hdav 1.3 itermittant buzzing noise & crackling in games?

Last response: in Components
May 7, 2011 12:53:13 AM

I've decided to post this problem on TH to see if anyone else has had the same problem or similar & know's of any possible solutions.

I've had this soundcard - Asus xonar hdav 1.3 deluxe for a few months now, It's been a really awesome soundcard, mint sound quality & great directional sound in games, but it has a couple of problems / bugs which are getting to me.

First one is ;
In games only, in quiet areas there is a slight crackling, its not that bad, but it's irritating when you're listening for someone, it seems to only happen when the game character is moving, it only happens in certain games..

I run 5.1 zalman headphones from the cards and expansion cards analog outputs.

From reading a couple of threads i've tried attacking the aud/vid latency in case this was causing it, managed to get it from 300~us down to 25us constant but still no change
Have tried previous version drivers & also low dpc latency drivers with no effect.
tried changing every setting to no effect.

second prob (only started just recently);
After being on for a while, while in windows, card suddenly starts producing a out of it buzzing static sound, this continues even after disabling every process in windows etc.

The only thing that gets the buzzing to stop is Restarting, Log off/on and at one point it worked disabling the card in device manager and then re-enabling it.

I'd be really stoked if someone has had these issues before & knows of a possible fix/solution.

My rig;

gigabyte ga-770a-UD3
amd 1055t oc 3.3.ghz
6gb ddr3 1295mhz 7-8-8-8-23-2
ati radeon 5670
asus xonar hdav 1.3 deluxe
zalman 5.1 channel analog headset
May 7, 2011 9:25:32 AM

Im curious... try removing 4gb of ram and see if that fixes it.
m
l
May 7, 2011 9:12:09 PM

I had something a little like this with my Xonar DG (yes, it's much cheaper). As far as I can tell, it happens when my GPU is under load. With me it's a sort of whine. I've done a little research, and it seems to match the symptoms of coil whine, which is resonance caused by the PSU. It happens continuously when I do folding@home, and intermittently in games in much the same way you describe. In my case, though, it's audible *outside* the computer, as well as through the headphones. I can't tell if it's from the PSU or the graphics card (gtx 460). Also, once or twice I got that loud crackling in-game, which didn't stop until the computer was shut down. It recurred on restart, and I tried taking out the card, and the graphics card too, and cleaning their contacts/seating them more securely. That has solved the loud buzzing problem since (a couple of months).
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2011 2:10:53 AM

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your posts.

Shin0bi272, the crackling in the games occurred when i only had 2gb of ram (about a month ago) tried taking it down to 2gb however & left it on all night, the buzzing noise still happens. thanks though

thanks kajabla also, very good info, i'll have a go at cleaning the contacts today, and post back with the results. thanks again
m
l
May 12, 2011 3:40:19 AM

i cleaned the contacts and reseated both the graphics card & the xonar, i also did the same with all the ram as well but am still getting the clicking static sound in games. thanks though, worth a try :) 
m
l
May 15, 2011 3:32:26 PM

Go to the Recorder inputs of the software. Disable all the un-use inputs for mic, digital ins, and other option for audio inputs that you are not using.

Sometime these inputs pick up undesired signals that are processed, amplified and become audible enought to be heard at the output.

This is one of the common cause of undesired audio on audio cards. Active un-use inputs.
m
l
May 16, 2011 5:41:03 AM

Thanks, I've got in the habit of doing this with every sound card, have disabled all these in teh control panel -> sound to no effect.

Have just done a driver sweeper uninstall then reinstall of latest drivers + firmware patch for the card to the latest version.
Have also tried using creative alchemy universal in conjunction with the GX of the xonar's control panel, though it's improved the overall eax sound, the issues are still there.

Thanks though
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
May 16, 2011 1:05:42 PM

Quote:
First one is ;
In games only, in quiet areas there is a slight crackling, its not that bad, but it's irritating when you're listening for someone, it seems to only happen when the game character is moving, it only happens in certain games..

I run 5.1 zalman headphones from the cards and expansion cards analog outputs.

From reading a couple of threads i've tried attacking the aud/vid latency in case this was causing it, managed to get it from 300~us down to 25us constant but still no change
Have tried previous version drivers & also low dpc latency drivers with no effect.
tried changing every setting to no effect.

Could be EAX5 emulation; and some noise is due to the analog output. Heck, even my ASUS Xonar Xense gets some occasional background static when using analog instead of the 6.3 outputs...Could even be the game audio engine...

Quote:
fter being on for a while, while in windows, card suddenly starts producing a out of it buzzing static sound, this continues even after disabling every process in windows etc.

The only thing that gets the buzzing to stop is Restarting, Log off/on and at one point it worked disabling the card in device manager and then re-enabling it.

I'd be really stoked if someone has had these issues before & knows of a possible fix/solution.

Could be power related, but sounds more like the audio buffer getting corrupted. I know this can happen if a program crashes, where teh audio buffer doesn't get properly flushed...[thats teh one issue I wish ASUS would fix...as Dragon Age crashes a TON].

You could give the Xonar Unified Drivers a try, they're said to fix a lot of issues. I know theres a link to them over at the Guru3d forums audio section, but they shouldn't be that hard to find. Just make sure to NOT restart after the install so you get the extra option for the HDAV card...[I've never tried the Unified Drivers, but they are claimed to fix a lot of issues.]
May 16, 2011 5:14:22 PM

soulreaper666 said:
Thanks, I've got in the habit of doing this with every sound card, have disabled all these in teh control panel -> sound to no effect.

Have just done a driver sweeper uninstall then reinstall of latest drivers + firmware patch for the card to the latest version.
Have also tried using creative alchemy universal in conjunction with the GX of the xonar's control panel, though it's improved the overall eax sound, the issues are still there.

Thanks though

Not from the control panel. Use the application software of the XONAR card. Not all inputs are accessible at the control level. You have to mute or disable all inputs.. digital , optical, analog. Some of the analog outputs acts as line-in alternate or mic when not define as speakers.

m
l
May 17, 2011 12:50:45 PM

Hi gamerk316, thanks for the info.

I've tried every which way of disabling/enabling EAX in the game, the ingame EAX settings, creative alchemy universal, and the GX function of the control panel to no effect... as for the game engine, my previous sound cards (sb live 24 bit, sb audigy 2) haven't produced anything like this. I can only conclude it's a problem specific to the sound card.

I agree its very possible it's power related, i hope not though. I'm going to try running computer barebones tomorrow and test psu's outputs to see. also see if i can wrangle up another psu to test with.

I don't know much about the audio buffer, but sounds like you're onto something, for when I woke up with the buzzing noise the other day (with nothing running on the PC in question) I attempted to switch the card to it's HDMI audio out then back again with the asus control panel but it wouldn't let me saying it couldn't until current audio applications are closed. All that was open on the PC was antivirus, asus control panel and ccc at the time.

I did try the xonar unified drivers the other day as they sounded promising, I tried a couple of different options, low latency, then c-media control panel. I can't remember whether I restarted or not but i'll give them a go again tomorrow after a driver sweeper just to make sure.

Could it possibly be the ASIO settings in regard to the audio buffer? I'm not sure what they're supposed to be set on, i just change the bitrate down for games, then up for normal PC work etc??..

leon2006, Ah I see, i've never noticed these in the xonar control panel as when i disable them in the win7 control panel they disappear as an option.

I can neither mute or disable any of them in xonars CP though, all i can do is turn them right down / Turn off monitoring, With them all (spdif in, mic, line in, aux, wave, mix) turned right down & All 'monitorings' off the problem continues though. Worth a shot cheers :) 

So tomorrow i'll try out barebones, psu outputs, alternate psu, xonar unified drivers & i shall post back with results.

Thanks for all yourhelp
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 17, 2011 2:52:18 PM

I would definatly run with the unified drivers in your case, with teh control panel, and see if that fixes your problems. Also, no need to bother with Alchemy with an ASUS card [that could be part of the problem...]

Which slot do you have the card intalled in; just realised it might be picking up some interfearence from some other component [GPU]. That would explain both the static and the buzzing.

Its the Buzzing that has me most confused really, as that would indicate either a LOT of interfearence from somewhere, a power problem, or possibly a bad card. [if all else fails, try an RMA].
m
l
May 17, 2011 3:30:22 PM

Which control panel should i use do you think?, teh standard xonar one or the option for the c-media one? I've only just started using alchemy (after i started this post).. seems to sound better with it but i could be wrong, i shall leave off for now.

Unfortunately in my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3) i only have one PCIe 1x slot to use. http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/gigabyte/770ta-ud3/board....

The pcie 1x below the 16x is obscured by the graphics cards hs&f, so i can only use the one above it. To make matters worse i have no onboard video out so I am unable to test without the graphics card unless i get my hands on a old PCI graphics card but i haven't seen one round for a while. I have another computer with 1 pcie 1x slot, a dual core with M2N68-AM motherboard. It has onboard vga so i will try wack it into that one and see if the issue is still there. Come to think of it. i should have tried that sooner... my bad, i've been wrapped up thinking i could fix it with a software/driver/setting combo somehow.

I am very confused also, how it suddenly starts after being on with no use/stress with no apparent reason or process behind it. One of the times it was happening i went to war on my processes. basically ending them all until i could end no more yet still it continued.

anyways, shortly i am going to redo my system from single boot win7 64bit to dual win7 64 & xp32 sp3. If it still occurrs in 7 i will be able to rule out any setting/software related issue and if it occurs in XP i can rule out it being some kind of issue from win7 emulating eax or similar...

Cheers
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 17, 2011 6:01:59 PM

Some static noise I could understand, but you should not be getting any buzzing or crackling whatsoever.

The only two issues I've ever encountered and know are problems with C-Media chips:
1: The relays click on/off on the card when powered; this is most noticable on PCI-E cards that need external power.
2: If a program closes unexpectedly, the sound buffer may not clear, and you get a repeating loop of hte last batch of audio sent to the soundcard, usually requiring a restart.

Neither one sounds like your issue, so I'm at a bit of a loss...Might want to consider an RMA, jsut to be safe...
m
l
May 22, 2011 5:47:47 AM

[SOLVED]

I tried putting it in teh dual core. installed a game and the problem still happened.. so i tried installing unified drivers again back on my pc, at first trying razer barracuda ac-1 control panel which made the crackling a lot worse.

Then i tried C-media control panel, gx enabled. At first the problem was still there but I had a play around with the settings and turning off 'EX Xear 3D' has completely gotten rid of the static.

As for the buzzing it's gone from occurring nightly to not at all for the last few days so ahh hopefully its gone away too from some driver clean/change or something..

Thanks heaps gamerk316 for recommending i try those drivers again!!! :) 
m
l
May 22, 2011 5:48:45 AM

Best answer selected by soulreaper666.
m
l
May 24, 2011 3:47:07 AM

Last post in this forum just in case anyone comes here with same prob.

Couldnt live without EAX so I re-did my computer into dual boot WinXP sp3 performance 32bit/ Win7 64bit sp1

The problem does not exist in XP at all even with stock asus driver and control panel. So im left assuming its part of Win7s emulation of EAX that is producing this problem...
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 24, 2011 2:53:50 PM

Quote:
The problem does not exist in XP at all even with stock asus driver and control panel. So im left assuming its part of Win7s emulation of EAX that is producing this problem...

Odd...I've got XEAR 3d enabled on my ASUS Xonar Xense right now, without issues...Is it an across the board problem, or just a particular game? Could just be same games made crappy use of Directsound?

Anyway, glad its apparently fixed for you.
m
l
October 28, 2011 9:41:15 AM

Hi there I just muted the microphone input in the mixer on my DX, after having a massive buzzing issue with Battlefield 3 and this solved the issue. Thought I would post in case it works for anyone else. Also disabled the S/pdif for good measure.
m
l
!