Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Same specs different benchmarks?? HELP!

Last response: in CPUs
May 7, 2011 4:51:57 AM

hey guys... i have a little bit of a problem or question to ask.

built 2 of the same systems... gonna list the specs to whatever comes to my knowledge and they come up with different 3dmark06 scores... only difference is video card and HDD...just confused didnt think HDD would affect fps which i looked around and doesnt

score: 35000
asus p8p67 board
i7-2600k
8gig ram
GTX 460 (regular)
7200 HDD

score: 31000
asus p8p67 board
i7-2600k
8gig ram
GTX 570 (superclocked)
5400rpm HDD

More about : specs benchmarks

a c 112 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 7, 2011 5:25:31 AM

the 2500k should top out at 22.5k with a 460 se at stock so yeah the numbers are off.
the ht will add about 1000 to the score on stock clocks so i guess your running a version that doesn't fully recognize your hardware... try guru3d and see if they have any patches.
Score
May 7, 2011 5:31:07 AM

HEXiT said:
the 2500k should top out at 22.5k with a 460 se at stock so yeah the numbers are off.
the ht will add about 1000 to the score on stock clocks so i guess your running a version that doesn't fully recognize your hardware... try guru3d and see if they have any patches.

ok cool thanks... i got EVGA cards in both...so not sure whats going on... and have updated them both.. the 460 is stock not SC... the 570 is SC.. im gonna try that but any other advice please let me know.. system sees the cards just fine.. i tried swapping only the GPU and saw the 460 was slower and did score less in the 31000 score system..so not sure whats up
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 7, 2011 6:40:49 AM

I almost don't want to know but...

Why would you saddle a kick-butt system like that with a lowly 5400RPM hard drive?
Score
May 7, 2011 9:13:33 AM

well for now thats all i can throw in there trust me in a month im getting a nice ssd most likely and a 7200 6gb...but for now i just wanted to see if anyone can help figure this out
Score

Best solution

May 7, 2011 8:11:52 PM

A 5400 RPM hard drive today will decrease the performance of your computer. What you want is a 7200 RPM, or an SSD. There are other factors including: CPU clock (shouldn't affect too much), settings of 3DMark06, etc.
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2011 8:25:04 PM

nxtstep said:
hey guys... i have a little bit of a problem or question to ask.

built 2 of the same systems... gonna list the specs to whatever comes to my knowledge and they come up with different 3dmark06 scores... only difference is video card and HDD...just confused didnt think HDD would affect fps which i looked around and doesnt

score: 35000
asus p8p67 board
i7-2600k
8gig ram
GTX 460 (regular)
7200 HDD

score: 31000
asus p8p67 board
i7-2600k
8gig ram
GTX 570 (superclocked)
5400rpm HDD

Most of benchmarks are non linear.They arent used for real world performance testing.Real world testing is what counts.And may i know if your cpus are both oc to the same clock speeds?
Score
May 8, 2011 8:19:33 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
Most of benchmarks are non linear.They arent used for real world performance testing.Real world testing is what counts.And may i know if your cpus are both oc to the same clock speeds?

hey zul... yes both are exact same clock..and ya i agree real world performance is not by benching but i just wanted to figure out how could that be possible... i did take the 460gtx and pop it in the other build and vise versa did c decrease in FPS..when taking 570 to replace the 460 in the other system did see increase in performance...

im just confused... also for everyone mentioning HDD yes i am going to be getting a seagate or western digital 7200 6gb/s 64mb cache drive this week and redoing everything using the 5400 mainly as a backup and thats about it...if you have any suggestions to a different drive please let me know.... also going to pick up new ram... should i stick to 8gb or move to 16gb? any ram you guys would recommend ??

i really dont think this testing can be off by a hard drive...maybe it if was off by a close count but its kinda huge.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 8, 2011 3:52:18 PM

For a gaming system, 8GB is plenty. For Sandy Bridge, I recommend 1600 CL9 1.5v RAM.

And you'll find out whether it's the hard drive when you pick up the new one. The only other thing it could be is differing BIOS settings like RAM timings and such.
Score
a c 141 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 8, 2011 10:32:43 PM

Yes, double check your ram timing. My system choose something other than by spd since it was set to auto, which I couldn't understand since the SPD timings were better. LoL
Score
May 11, 2011 4:26:45 AM

hey guys... so went picked up total 16 gb corsair vengence... 2x4gb (2 of em).. it wasnt finding the right timings until i put my asus p8p67 board onto xmp... i was wondering if there is anyone that can help me set the timing right.. i go into dram timings and theres different channels which im not sure if im setting it right..

as for the hard drive i got a 1tb WD 7200 64mb...should be here on thursday.
thanks
Score
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 11, 2011 4:41:55 AM

If you use the XMP setting, it should set the timings and speed automatically.
Score
May 11, 2011 6:59:10 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
If you use the XMP setting, it should set the timings and speed automatically.

hey leaps..thanks for that.. i did find that but 1 problem im still having is ummm my system reboots itself from initial power on...then it works perfect... any idea about that?

btw my bios is updated incase you guys think thats the case.

thanks
Score
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 12, 2011 12:00:17 AM

Yeah, that's a nagging problem with Sandy Bridge systems. There isn't a consistent fix for it, except to wait for a BIOS update from the manufacturer. My ASRock P67 Pro3 board used to do that at both stock and overclocked settings, until they came out with a beta BIOS roughly ten days ago. The funny thing is, the description of the beta BIOS didn't mention anything about that. That's why I still recommend that everyone with a Sandy Bridge system keep updating the BIOS as soon as they come out with new ones, at least until August or so. The platform will be over six months old by then, and they should have all of the bug ironed out and be giving maximum stability and performance.
Score
May 12, 2011 5:42:14 AM

ok so i got new HDD in...it really rocks.. have a fresh install of windows pro and no more multiple reboots before system starts up... everything is just how it should be... thanks for the help guys i dunno y but i guess hard drive had something to do with benchmark.. i know it shouldnt but did.
Score
May 15, 2011 2:01:23 AM

Best answer selected by nxtstep.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 15, 2011 7:40:04 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!