First time builder seeking help and advice

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2011 6:30:49 PM

I'm looking to build my first computer. I'm currently going to school for computer programming and figure it would be good to build a computer to get some first hand experience and it would just be a good learning experience first. I've been looking at websites all day trying to determine what would be a good combination of hardware.

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core ($159)

VIDEO CARD- Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition Video Card ($169)

MOTHER BOARD- GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ($174)

MEMORY- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory($104)

HD-Seagate ST31000520AS Barracuda LP Hard Drive - 1TB, 5900RPM, 32MB, SATA-3G ($60)

I don't know what I should look for in a case/power supply and i know nothing about monitors. My Budget is around $1,000. Right now its 666(lol yes i know right). So if there are any suggestions what would be better for not to much more or possibly less I'll very much willing to take advice. I'm just trying to get a decent gaming rig going. And yes i'm a little more BIAS towards AMD and ATI products but i will take Intel opinions the same i would take AMD ones. I know i want a ATI video card though.

All your help is very much appreciated.

More about : time builder seeking advice

February 7, 2011 6:36:03 PM

Fill out the form in the sticky, link in my sig.

If you're using this for school work, what software programs exactly? Do you plan on gaming at all? etc
m
l
February 7, 2011 6:42:03 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Upcoming months.

Budget Range: $1,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NEWEGG.COM TIGERDIRECT.COM

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: AMD AND ATI. BUT WILL TAKE OPINIONS ON INTEL

Overclocking: MAYBE

SLI or Crossfire: MAYBE. IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT

Monitor Resolution: DON'T KNOW

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2011 6:43:04 PM

swap that hard drive for a faster Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. its $5 more for much better speed.

try this memory instead, its $90 instead of $105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The AS Rock 870 Extreme 3 is a better MOBO choice, saving $85 (its $89.99)

a case is a very aesthetic choice, but I'm personally fond of the Rosewill Destroyer case which is $50.

If you plan a crossfire in the future, get the XFX 650W model at $90, which easily has the wattage to crossfire a 6870, possibly a 6950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd suggest getting a pair of 6850s, which will be quite powerful.
m
l
February 7, 2011 6:56:12 PM

I'll definitely get that memory and the power supply. For a case I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I'm not looking for anything pretty. Just a case that will keep my stuff cool.

Also what makes the MOBO $85 more expensive than the other one? I'd imagine that its missing stuff the other one has. Can you help fill me in on the difference of the two.
m
l
February 7, 2011 7:21:03 PM

So do you need a mouse, keyboard, OS and monitor?

Also case wise you say you want a window and bling, but then say you're ok with something simple. Which one do you actually want?

The UD5 is more of an extreme mobo meant for 3 GPU's. I personally don't use Asrock mobo's, but they aren't a poor choice by any means.

I just stick w/ Asus and GA for their higher build quality and support. Asrock used to be the budget brand for asus, but they've since become their own company and quality has suffered a bit for that.

Depending upon your OS/monitor need you can do a $1000 build with a 6950. If usually better not to xfire off the bat to leave yourself an upgrade path.

Also, if you can wait a while, you may want to hold off on building. AM3 and 1156 are both currently dead sockets, in that no more CPU's will be made for them. SB is coming back april, which should also be pretty close to when bulldozer, the next gen socket AM3+ CPu comes out.
m
l
February 7, 2011 7:46:58 PM

banthracis said:
So do you need a mouse, keyboard, OS and monitor?

Also case wise you say you want a window and bling, but then say you're ok with something simple. Which one do you actually want?

The UD5 is more of an extreme mobo meant for 3 GPU's. I personally don't use Asrock mobo's, but they aren't a poor choice by any means.

Never said I wanted a case with bling. I just want one that will keep everything cool. I could care less about what it looks like.

And yes I'll need a keyboard and mouse and OS and monitor. The mouse, keyboard, and OS I don't need help with. But I don't know what I'm looking for with a computer monitor. I've never bought one since they have gone to LCD flat screen so I'm kinda lost with that.

I'm not counting the OS in the cost either. So far the cost comes out to around 830 with what I have picked out. So it leaves room for a decent Monitor.
m
l
!