To upgrade to 1080p or not?

System specs:
cpu: E5300 oc'ed to 3.6ghz
mobo: Gigabyte G31M-ES2C
ram: Kingston 2x2gb 800mhz (currently running at 900+mhz due to overclock) CL6
video: Inno3D GTS 250 512mb

My current monitor is 19" 1440x900 and i could max (including aa/af) almost every game out there. I want to upgrade to a 23-24" 1920x1080 monitor but I'm holding back because I know that i would have to lower the details when i play.

My question is, whats visually better, 1440x900 with max details and aa/af or 1920x1080 with low-medium details and probably no aa/af?

games played are: NBA2K11, F1 2010, NFS Shift. I would also like to play Crysis 2 and Grid 2 in the future.

I have no plans on upgrading my system yet, although I'm open in upgrading my video card when i find a good deal off tipidpc (it's like craigslist here in the Philippines). Im thinking a 6870, which leads me to my next question: Wouldn't the rest of my system hold back a 6870 at 1920x1080?
17 answers Last reply
More about upgrade 1080p
  1. Yes, it's worth to get HD monitor, it's bigger and better in many ways.
    You already knew that GTS250 will struggle run most of games at 1920x1080.
    No, your current system is still good enough to handle HD6870, just make sure you have enough power on PSU. :)
  2. Hi wa1, thanks for replying. My psu is okay, it's a 500 watt unit from fps. It has more than 36amps on the 12v rail.

Have you personally experienced what it's like to be maxing out 720p and then jumping to 1080p but with lowered details to maintain playable frames?

I'd also love to hear from those people who have already experienced what I'm asking.
  3. Well, since my resolution is just 1280x1024 then i can't answer your questions, let's hear what others says...
    Anyone?
  4. bump
  5. I upgraded from 1280 x 1024 to 1920 x 1200 back in 2007.

It it definitely worth it when simply using the PC. The increased resolution means you have more real estate to have various windows opened side by side. Additionally, reading documents or surfing the net is "easier" since you can see more on the screen.

Gaming wise, you should also note the difference, but it depends on how the game is programmed to take advantage of a specific aspect ratio; meaning 4:3, 16:9 or 16:10. See below images for Starcraft 2 (Source: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6251839/index.html) :

16:10 aspect ratio (your current monitor):

===========================

16:9 aspect ratio (any 1920x 1080 monitor):

===========================

Regarding what visually looks better depends on you. For me, as long as I can play games at medium settings I'll be happy. I play Crysis using a 9600GT (roughly equal to the GT 240) on my 1920 x 1200 monitor using medium graphics quality. The game played fine and looked fine to me in DX9. The final battle was kinda like a fast moving slide show though 'cause it was heavily graphics demanding. My style of gameplay was to use stealth as much as possible. Your GT 250 is a bit more powerful than my 9600GT.
  6. Thanks for the input jaguar. I think that kind of Crysis won't do for me, I'm easily irritated by stutters/lags.
  7. HD monitors are well worth the small £150 you might have to set yourself back for, i recently purchased a 27.5" 1080p monitor and i can largely notice the differance.
  8. Anymore inputs?
  9. My personal opinion is that high details on a smaller resolution would look nicer, but having a lot of screen realestate is awesome. But with a larger, clear screen and lower settings you'll probably notice the lower settings more lol.
  10. Seeing as most people use their computers for a lot more than gaming, a bigger screen would be beneficial in many ways besides playing games. Even if games do run a bit slower, I would much rather have a huge screen for the benefits it would provide in web browsing and multitasking
  11. Get the new screen you wont regret it, I have found that it dosent take nearrly as much horsepower to get decent detail settings on a 1080 screen. My daughter has such a monitor connected to a rig with my old 4770 still in it and that can play Just cause 2 with only slight reductions in detail settings.

Mactronix :)
  12. I'm on a core I7 920 at stock speeds with a massively overclocked GTX 260 on 6gigs PC12800 DDR3. Using my 1080p monitor, I can play Crysis with everything set to high plus the natural mod config file. No antialiasing except the small amount of transparent antialiasing enabled in the game, no anisotropic filtering. When I play Crysis using my TV, 1280x720p, I am able to pretty much max Crysis out, I play it with everything set to Very High, still using natural mod config, 8x antialiasing, 8x anisotropic filtering. BUT Crysis is really the only game I've played that I couldn't max out at 1080p. I play SC2 all maxed out 16x AA/8x AF @ 1080p. I also have to say though, I hate doing anything but gaming on the TV as the smaller resolution is quite annoying once I started using my 1080p monitor. Using the higher resolution though, I noticed I don't need as much antialiasing as my TV does, but I like to run 16x AA anyway. But seriously, the amount of desktop room gained at 1080p is phenomenal, it really makes good use of the aero snap feature as well.
  13. You can't make a better purchase than a bigger screen, or screens :)

When you upgrade from 1440x900 to 1080p, you'll be blown away. You'll be surprised at how decent even a gts 250 is at the resolution too.
  14. wolfram23 said:
    My personal opinion is that high details on a smaller resolution would look nicer, but having a lot of screen realestate is awesome. But with a larger, clear screen and lower settings you'll probably notice the lower settings more lol.

This can be true, but the larger screen helps me become more immersed into a game too. Rather than looking at a small screen, I feel like I'm there a bit more. When playing games like Crysis, when I get suprised by something, I find myself jumping out of my chair. I also find myself trying to look around corners and things. It's funny, but it's not something I do with a small screen.
  15. Thanks for the info guys, I'd probably get the monitor this Christmas. How about my second question?
  16. BruceOTB said:
    Hi wa1, thanks for replying. My psu is okay, it's a 500 watt unit from fps. It has more than 36amps on the 12v rail.

Have you personally experienced what it's like to be maxing out 720p and then jumping to 1080p but with lowered details to maintain playable frames?

I'd also love to hear from those people who have already experienced what I'm asking.

When I made my jump from 720p to 1080p I was playing the new Medal of Honor game... the graphics were amazing and my Kill to death ratio went from 1 to 1 to now 4 to 1 on average... big difference if you have a GPU that gives you great graphics and great FPS... no stutter, no lag, and now everyone is accusing me that I have AIM bot because 75% of my kills are head shots... LOL
  17. IMO, you will like the new screen yes, but you will not like the performance sacrifice! I went from 1280x1024 with Sli 8800GTs to 1080p. Extra real estate was fantastic, widecreeen luvverly, however I got used to having max maxi max everything (even Crysis in VHQ back in the day!) - which is the situation you will be in now.
    Going from 1440x-1920x is a 60% increase in pixels, so you won't be able to max the tough games anymore. When I upgraded I loved the new monitor, gaming experience was much better in the games that I could still push decent frames in, however I was now an image quality/eye candy snob, and once you've played it in the best detail, you won't want to go back!
    So yes, get a new monitor! Just start saving for a new card too! (I sold my GTs shortly after getting the new screen and got a GTX295 - that did the job for me!)

Re: a 6870, you have a 3.6Ghz dual so the only time you will be held back is in a heavily threaded game that required a quad - (Thinks GTAIV.) For the majority of the time you'll be fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics