Video and Audio Stuttering Issues

JonnyQUEST

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Hello All,

I just upgraded to an ATX Full size case and swapped out all the parts from my old tower into this new one. Everything was placed exactly in the same place and in the same configuration.

However, now i seem to be have video and audio issues. They it occurs randomly, but primarily during gaming, where the audio and video just lagg to hell and I get a "err" sound blasted through my speakers for every stutter. I thought it could be a faulty sound card, but I don't think that would effect video playback. I'm running a nvidia 9800 gt 1gb card thats maybe a year or so old and I assume the problem has to be somewhere in the card.

Anyone have any similar issues or know of a fix for this?

OH, and I was fully grounded and even wore anti-static gloves during the tower swap so I'm pretty sure static discharge wasn't a cause of this, but you never know. Maybe the video card got scratched, or worse the motherboard got messed up somehow?

My BIOS and all drivers are up-to-date as well.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
THANKS!

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Double check all of your connections, reseat the video card and ram, and make sure every mounting hole is used on your motherboard, and there aren't any extra standoffs you aren't using in your case.

Psychoteddy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

This could be caused by a multitude of things which may not pertain to the graphics card at all. Most of the time it's a processor overload. Run task manager with the performance tab open while you're gaming and wait until it happens. Immediately Alt+Tab over to TM and have a look at your processor usage. If it's spiked at or near 100%, it's time to think about managing background tasks or even a faster processor.

Another common problem is bad graphics drivers. Try updating or rolling back (whichever applies). The driver crashes and restarts itself in the middle of a session sometimes.

Another possibility is that the Hard Disk was damaged in the process of the case transfer somehow (internally or otherwise). Run a scan with SpinRite or HDTune to rule this out.

The last thing that I'll suggest is that the new case is shorting something out intermittently. Try transferring the components back to the old case (if possible) and see if the problem goes away.

JonnyQUEST

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I reseated all the components and i did notice that the video card was a bit loose, so i firmly seated it. This partially solved the problem in the sense that the stuttering is less frequent, but is still occurring.

The reasoning behind me swapping cases was that it had decent airflow, but since the video card upgrade about a year ago i noticed that the internal temperatures raised up about 20 C. Tried using extra fans but it didnt cut it so i swapped to a larger HAF case and my temps are all down significantly.

I've also noticed that when the audio/video stutters, everything on my computer lags with it including the mouse cursor and when I am typing.

I'll try running the hard disk scan and check my processor performance and get back with the results.

THank you soo much for the advice!