CM real power power pro 650w cant handle the gts 450

ennay

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
just bought a sparkle gts 450 OC card and installed in my PC, i have cooler master real power pro 650w http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2730, but whenever i start any game my pc goes shut down. I installed the card in my friends PC who have a 750w psu its running fine on that. other then the card i m running c2d e7400, xfx 630i mobo, 1 module of 2 gb ram and 2 hdd. please tell me is my PSU is not up to the requirement of the card or its faulty now.

ennay

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
well few months back, i plugged the motherboard 4pin power plug wrong, due to which i lost my motherboard and i replaced the 4 pin connector wires as the original one was burned. can this be a reason for not supporting the GPU?

The plugs are keyed to prevent wrong way insertion. You had to have really stuffed the plug into the socket. Even so, the overload detection circuits in the PSU should have detected the short and nondestructively shut the PSU down.

I know that CM is trying to increase the quality of their PSU's. But they ain't there yet.

I will never install a CM PSU in any of my computers.

And how did you replace the 4 pin connector wires?

ennay

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
well guys i installed the PSU and the card in another system with intel dg41rq board and e4500 processor and it worked flawless, i played games for more then 6 hours and it went fine. so i thought it could be the driver or OS problem so i did a clean install of windows 7 and the latest nvidia driver and tried again but the same result. Now i am thinking that it could be my MOBO Problem, i am looking for a bios update for xfx 630i but i can not find any help/guide to update the bios. please help me....

Most of the CM PSU's are crap.. However, the problem here is definitely not caused by the PSU.. 650W (or whatever actual power it delivers) is surely more than enough to power that rig.. The problem is surely elsewhere.. Judging by the deductions made till now by OP, the motherboard looks to be the culprit.. I'd look forward towards replacing with a cheap motherboard..