Aperture priority when shooting Basketball???

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 1, 2005 5:34:54 AM

I simply do not understand the use of aperture priority when
shooting Basketball. In the past, shooting film, I have always
shot in manual and have gotten good, consistent results. What is
it about the lighting that changes which makes one use aperture
priority over manual in either film or digital?

It is my understanding (and limited experience with a DSLR) that
with a RAW image, one can pull information out in the shadow, just
not the highlight, similar to chrome. When players are jumping
close to you, you are shooting more into shadow, but doesn't the
highlights stay consistent? If that is the case, will you not get
better results in exposing for the highlights and fixing shadows
in postprocessing?

Sam
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:34:55 AM

"Sam Carleton" <scarleton-nospam@miltonstreet.com> wrote in message
>I simply do not understand the use of aperture priority when
> shooting Basketball. In the past, shooting film, I have always
> shot in manual and have gotten good, consistent results. What is
> it about the lighting that changes which makes one use aperture
> priority over manual in either film or digital?

Aperture priority would typically be used when you want to control depth of (focus) field.
Shutter priority is basically for freezing action (or intentionally forcing motion
blur...whichever the case may be).
For basketball, the fast action would normally mean you'd shoot in shutter priority in
order to freeze action.

You'll probably need to use shutter priority, and then adjust your ISO according to how
much exposure you're able to get with whatever max aperture you have.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:34:55 AM

"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> writes:

> Shutter priority would be the better choice for action like basketball.
> Choice of auto or manual I think has more to do with the shooter than the
> situation anyhow. I rarely used any auto mode until a few years ago and
> still tend to shoot in manual mode most of the time.

Depends on the range of light. Shutter priority guarantees you a
shutter speed, and puts any extra light that turns up into more depth
of field. Aperture priority puts any extra light that turns up into
motion stopping. So if conditions are marginal, aperture priority
with the lens wide open is the only workable choice (shutter priority
at a clearly-safe speed will run out of aperture a lot of the time).
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:34:55 AM

In article <iVBLd.6403$Wi6.1950@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
Sam Carleton <scarleton-nospam@miltonstreet.com> wrote:

> I simply do not understand the use of aperture priority when
> shooting Basketball. In the past, shooting film, I have always
> shot in manual and have gotten good, consistent results. What is
> it about the lighting that changes which makes one use aperture
> priority over manual in either film or digital?
>
> It is my understanding (and limited experience with a DSLR) that
> with a RAW image, one can pull information out in the shadow, just
> not the highlight, similar to chrome. When players are jumping
> close to you, you are shooting more into shadow, but doesn't the
> highlights stay consistent? If that is the case, will you not get
> better results in exposing for the highlights and fixing shadows
> in postprocessing?
>
> Sam

So put it in full manual. When you're shooting into a shadow, the
metering tells the camera to take a longer exposure. That's what's
blowing out your highlights.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:34:56 AM

"David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote in message
> "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> writes:
>
> > Shutter priority would be the better choice for action like
basketball.
> > Choice of auto or manual I think has more to do with the shooter than
the
> > situation anyhow. I rarely used any auto mode until a few years ago and
> > still tend to shoot in manual mode most of the time.
>
> Depends on the range of light. Shutter priority guarantees you a
> shutter speed, and puts any extra light that turns up into more depth
> of field. Aperture priority puts any extra light that turns up into
> motion stopping. So if conditions are marginal, aperture priority
> with the lens wide open is the only workable choice (shutter priority
> at a clearly-safe speed will run out of aperture a lot of the time).

Not only that, but a shallow depth of field is almost essential in shooting
sports like basketball. Otherwise the players tend to get lost in the crowd
of other players, officials, coaches, spectators, etc.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:17:05 AM

If it was me, i'd be shooting in shutter priorty.

"Sam Carleton" <scarleton-nospam@miltonstreet.com> wrote in message
>I simply do not understand the use of aperture priority when
> shooting Basketball. In the past, shooting film, I have always
> shot in manual and have gotten good, consistent results. What is
> it about the lighting that changes which makes one use aperture
> priority over manual in either film or digital?
>
> It is my understanding (and limited experience with a DSLR) that
> with a RAW image, one can pull information out in the shadow, just
> not the highlight, similar to chrome. When players are jumping
> close to you, you are shooting more into shadow, but doesn't the
> highlights stay consistent? If that is the case, will you not get
> better results in exposing for the highlights and fixing shadows
> in postprocessing?
>
> Sam
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:17:06 AM

"Canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> If it was me, i'd be shooting in shutter priorty.

Same here. You are trying to stop action, not work with depth of field. I
would't want the shutter speed floating all over the place, but on a
well-lit court I would assume the lighting is pretty consistant.

> "Sam Carleton" <scarleton-nospam@miltonstreet.com> wrote in message
>>I simply do not understand the use of aperture priority when
>> shooting Basketball. In the past, shooting film, I have always
>> shot in manual and have gotten good, consistent results. What is
>> it about the lighting that changes which makes one use aperture
>> priority over manual in either film or digital?
>>
>> It is my understanding (and limited experience with a DSLR) that
>> with a RAW image, one can pull information out in the shadow, just
>> not the highlight, similar to chrome. When players are jumping
>> close to you, you are shooting more into shadow, but doesn't the
>> highlights stay consistent? If that is the case, will you not get
>> better results in exposing for the highlights and fixing shadows
>> in postprocessing?
>>
>> Sam

February 1, 2005 7:56:07 AM

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Sam Carleton" <scarleton-nospam@miltonstreet.com> wrote in message
> I simply do not understand the use of aperture priority when
> shooting Basketball. In the past, shooting film, I have always
> shot in manual and have gotten good, consistent results. What is
> it about the lighting that changes which makes one use aperture
> priority over manual in either film or digital?
>
> It is my understanding (and limited experience with a DSLR) that
> with a RAW image, one can pull information out in the shadow, just
> not the highlight, similar to chrome. When players are jumping
> close to you, you are shooting more into shadow, but doesn't the
> highlights stay consistent? If that is the case, will you not get
> better results in exposing for the highlights and fixing shadows
> in postprocessing?
>
> Sam
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:36:20 PM

On 2005-02-01, Sheldon wrote:

> "Canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote in message
>> If it was me, i'd be shooting in shutter priorty.
>

> Same here. You are trying to stop action, not work with depth of field. I
> would't want the shutter speed floating all over the place, but on a
> well-lit court I would assume the lighting is pretty consistant.

Canongirly,

this is not directed at just you, but all those that have replied
so far:

Did you read my whole post or just the subject? Everyone seemed
to reply with the pro's and con's of shutter priorty vs aperture
priority. I know the difference, I have been shooting since the
mid '80s. I understand the pro's and con's between SP and AP.

My question is not about the bet mode to shoot in, but in why
folks bother with either mode in the first place? The arena is
VERY well lite and very even. The reflections are great because
of the court surface. Why not simply set the camera in manual and
shoot away? Please re-read the second paragraphy of my original
posting:

>> "Sam Carleton" wrote:
>>> I simply do not understand the use of aperture priority when
>>> shooting Basketball. In the past, shooting film, I have always
>>> shot in manual and have gotten good, consistent results. What
>>> is it about the lighting that changes which makes one use
>>> aperture priority over manual in either film or digital?
>>>
>>> It is my understanding (and limited experience with a DSLR)
>>> that with a RAW image, one can pull information out in the
>>> shadow, just not the highlight, similar to chrome. When
>>> players are jumping close to you, you are shooting more into
>>> shadow, but doesn't the highlights stay consistent? If that is
>>> the case, will you not get better results in exposing for the
>>> highlights and fixing shadows in postprocessing?

Sam
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:34:33 PM

Here is my original post. Please read it carefully, especially
the second paragraph prior to reading my response to Doug's reply:

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 07:26:34PM -0800, Doug Follett wrote:
> Aperture priority isn't any better or worse than manual.

Just because I don't understand it, does NOT mean I think it is
worse.

> With a manual setting you have to think through all of your
> settings. With aperture priority you set the shutter speed you
> need for a good shot and the camera balances out the rest of the
> settings. It isn't necessarily better or worse just easier. It
> is a lot harder to set each shot up manually.

What? I get the impression that you did not read everything I
wrote. I did not ask what the difference was between manual and
aperture priority, I asked the difference in using one over the
other in ONE situation, photography basketball.

I don't know if you have ever shot basketball, but from experence,
I can tell you that the lights in the arena do NOT change. When
shooting in manual, you set the camera once for the whole game and
don't think about it again. If you shoot in the same arena a lot,
like I do, all you have to do is remember how you had the camera
set last time to get consistant results.

> It also doesn't matter if it is digital or film, both cameras
> operate the same as far as exposure to light.

This I know for a fact is not true, or at least is too simplistic.
I have been shooting C41, Chrome (Slide film) and B&W for years
now. Each type of film needs to be treated differently:

With C41, if you over expose the image by as much as two stops,
you can still get detail out of the highlights. But if you
underexpose the neg, there simply is no detail in the shadow and
the shadows go milking on you.

With Slide film, if an image is under exposed as much as about 2/3
of a stop, you can still get detail out of the shadow. But any
over exposure, the highlights are simply lost.

B&W film is similar to C41, expect that when you over expose it,
the highlights get much grainer so it is better to expose B&W
perfectly to get the best results.

So there you have it, one film camera and three different ways of
exposing film to light, all depending on the type of medium you
are exposing. From what little I have played with digital, when
shooting RAW it responds the same way as chrome does, it can
tolorate under exposure, but not over exposure. Thus it is NOT
the same as film, if the film is C41 or B&W.

> I just shoot for the best over all exposure.

How exactly do you do that? How do you determine what the "best
over all exposure" might be?

> Sounds to me like you are getting a bit ahead of yourself.

How so?
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:34:34 PM

In article <JzLLd.79767$re1.18607@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, Sam Carleton
<scarleton-nospam@miltonstreet.com> wrote:

> What? I get the impression that you did not read everything I
> wrote. I did not ask what the difference was between manual and
> aperture priority, I asked the difference in using one over the
> other in ONE situation, photography basketball.

Sam. people are replying to what they THOUGHT you asked, because what
you actually asked made no sense.

There are few good reasons to use aperture-priority automation in this
situation. Why people would actually do so might be a question of
psychology rather than photography.

chromes than negatives, at least as far as burnt highlights. The
auto/manual question, as always, is answered by "it depends." Some
locations have flat, consistant lighting suitable for just leaving it
on manual; some do not. But if your camera offers automation, you know
how it use it, and the response is quick enough - why not try it?

If most people give you the wrong answer, you're asking the wrong
question.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:42:11 PM

> On 2005-02-01, Sheldon wrote:

> Canongirly,
>
> this is not directed at just you, but all those that have replied
> so far:
>
> Did you read my whole post or just the subject? Everyone seemed
> to reply with the pro's and con's of shutter priorty vs aperture
> priority. I know the difference, I have been shooting since the
> mid '80s. I understand the pro's and con's between SP and AP.
>
> My question is not about the bet mode to shoot in, but in why
> folks bother with either mode in the first place? The arena is
> VERY well lite and very even. The reflections are great because
> of the court surface. Why not simply set the camera in manual and
> shoot away? Please re-read the second paragraphy of my original
> posting:

Well I dunno why anyone would either.

Pick one of the following.
They are too stupid to read the manual
They are too lazy to change the setting
They haven't considered using the sport mode which would default to the
fastest shutter/widest aperture combination the iso setting will allow under
the present lighting
Why do you care?

All I'm saying is if it was me I'd use shutter priorty if I couldn't be
arsed to do it manually.
February 3, 2005 12:34:38 AM

Aperture is the hardest thing for me to grasp and I'm slowly catching on,
learning...slowly. Shutter speed is more logical to me, hence easier to
understand. Fast shutter speeds with a wide aperture should be what you need
I think.

Quick shutter, but a wide opening to let a lot of light come in. I hope I'm
right. Maybe not.

"Sam Carleton" <scarleton-nospam@miltonstreet.com> wrote in message
> I simply do not understand the use of aperture priority when
> shooting Basketball. In the past, shooting film, I have always
> shot in manual and have gotten good, consistent results. What is
> it about the lighting that changes which makes one use aperture
> priority over manual in either film or digital?
>
> It is my understanding (and limited experience with a DSLR) that
> with a RAW image, one can pull information out in the shadow, just
> not the highlight, similar to chrome. When players are jumping
> close to you, you are shooting more into shadow, but doesn't the
> highlights stay consistent? If that is the case, will you not get
> better results in exposing for the highlights and fixing shadows
> in postprocessing?
>
> Sam
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:34:39 AM

<xman@thedripper.com> wrote in message news:11033e07lrau9ea@corp.supernews.com...
> Aperture is the hardest thing for me to grasp and I'm slowly catching on,
> learning...slowly.

Aperture is simple.

Have you ever had your eyes dilated for medical purposes?
What happens?
--As your pupils open up wide, you are highly sensitive to light, and it's difficult to
focus your eyes.

Similarly, large apertures on a camera gather more light, and limit focus to a very
shallow depth in front of, and behind the distance of the subject.

In sports, this shallow focus depth helps to isolate the athelete from a busy background.
The large aperture allows more light, meaning you don't need a long
shutter...meaning...you can freeze action.
Bing~!

>Shutter speed is more logical to me, hence easier to
> understand. Fast shutter speeds with a wide aperture should be what you need
> I think.
>
> Quick shutter, but a wide opening to let a lot of light come in. I hope I'm
> right. Maybe not.
>
> "Sam Carleton" <scarleton-nospam@miltonstreet.com> wrote in message
>> I simply do not understand the use of aperture priority when
>> shooting Basketball. In the past, shooting film, I have always
>> shot in manual and have gotten good, consistent results. What is
>> it about the lighting that changes which makes one use aperture
>> priority over manual in either film or digital?
>>
>> It is my understanding (and limited experience with a DSLR) that
>> with a RAW image, one can pull information out in the shadow, just
>> not the highlight, similar to chrome. When players are jumping
>> close to you, you are shooting more into shadow, but doesn't the
>> highlights stay consistent? If that is the case, will you not get
>> better results in exposing for the highlights and fixing shadows
>> in postprocessing?
>>
>> Sam

February 3, 2005 12:36:45 AM

Manual mode wouldn't know if the guy who dunked the ball is free falling
from the air and to capture him clearly. Unless you want all blurry
basketball players in your output--- hence to use make sure you set it on
priority shutter.

"Sam Carleton" <scarleton-nospam@miltonstreet.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-02-01, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > "Canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> >> If it was me, i'd be shooting in shutter priorty.
> >

> > Same here. You are trying to stop action, not work with depth of field.
> > would't want the shutter speed floating all over the place, but on a
> > well-lit court I would assume the lighting is pretty consistant.
>
> Canongirly,
>
> this is not directed at just you, but all those that have replied
> so far:
>
> Did you read my whole post or just the subject? Everyone seemed
> to reply with the pro's and con's of shutter priorty vs aperture
> priority. I know the difference, I have been shooting since the
> mid '80s. I understand the pro's and con's between SP and AP.
>
> My question is not about the bet mode to shoot in, but in why
> folks bother with either mode in the first place? The arena is
> VERY well lite and very even. The reflections are great because
> of the court surface. Why not simply set the camera in manual and
> shoot away? Please re-read the second paragraphy of my original
> posting:

> Sam
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:18:03 AM

Mark² wrote:
> <xman@thedripper.com> wrote in message news:11033e07lrau9ea@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>Aperture is the hardest thing for me to grasp and I'm slowly catching on,
>>learning...slowly.
>

> Aperture is simple.
>
> Have you ever had your eyes dilated for medical purposes?
> What happens?
> --As your pupils open up wide, you are highly sensitive to light, and it's difficult to
> focus your eyes.
>
> Similarly, large apertures on a camera gather more light, and limit focus to a very
> shallow depth in front of, and behind the distance of the subject.
>
> In sports, this shallow focus depth helps to isolate the athelete from a busy background.
> The large aperture allows more light, meaning you don't need a long
> shutter...meaning...you can freeze action.

Hi...

If it's at all helpful to the OP, you can simulate the
same thing with your own eye to help get the hang of
what's happening.

Just put the tips of your forefingers and thumbs together;
then bring your hands together so that a tiny "pinhole"
exists.

Then look through the "pinhole" - perhaps at your monitor,
try to read print on the screen. Squeeze your fingers
together to vary the size of the pinhole.

You won't be able to help noticing that looking through
a tiny gap will be dimmer, but much, much crisper looking.
And the tinier the gap is, the more pronounced both effects
become.

Take care.

Ken
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:43:02 PM

On 02 Feb 2005 in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

> Manual mode wouldn't know if the guy who dunked the ball is free
> falling from the air and to capture him clearly. Unless you want all
> blurry basketball players in your output--- hence to use make sure
> you set it on priority shutter.

No. Manual mode would have the camera set at 1/500 or maybe faster at
whatever f-stop it would require for pictures to be properly exposed,
because you, the photographer, realized that you needed a fast shutter
speed in order to capture action. My offhand guess would be that the
lighting in most arenas is fairly even, so you could use the same
exposure pretty much throughout.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

My local high school has a 6 sided gym. The lights are only over what they
thought the center should be. The light difference between the exact center
of the court and a corner amount to nearly a 2 stops difference. Wrestling
or basketball is a constant changing situation. Requires shutter priority
ONLY. I set the shutter speed while metering in a corner of the court with
lens wide open. Even the seats are around the six sides. STUPID design, but
looks cute from the outside I suppose.
"Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 02 Feb 2005 in rec.photo.digital, wrote:
>
>> Manual mode wouldn't know if the guy who dunked the ball is free
>> falling from the air and to capture him clearly. Unless you want all
>> blurry basketball players in your output--- hence to use make sure
>> you set it on priority shutter.
>
> No. Manual mode would have the camera set at 1/500 or maybe faster at
> whatever f-stop it would require for pictures to be properly exposed,
> because you, the photographer, realized that you needed a fast shutter
> speed in order to capture action. My offhand guess would be that the
> lighting in most arenas is fairly even, so you could use the same
> exposure pretty much throughout.
>
> --
> Joe Makowiec
> http://makowiec.org/
> Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
February 4, 2005 1:21:48 AM

Thanks a million for the last two responses. It totally puts the whole
aperture idea in perspective for me. It's much easier to understand and
grasp from hearing different examples. Thanks very much...much appreciated!

"Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Mark² wrote:
> > <xman@thedripper.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Aperture is the hardest thing for me to grasp and I'm slowly catching
on,
> >>learning...slowly.
> >

> > Aperture is simple.
> >
> > Have you ever had your eyes dilated for medical purposes?
> > What happens?
> > --As your pupils open up wide, you are highly sensitive to light, and
it's difficult to
> > focus your eyes.
> >
> > Similarly, large apertures on a camera gather more light, and limit
focus to a very
> > shallow depth in front of, and behind the distance of the subject.
> >
> > In sports, this shallow focus depth helps to isolate the athelete from a
busy background.
> > The large aperture allows more light, meaning you don't need a long
> > shutter...meaning...you can freeze action.
>
> Hi...
>
> If it's at all helpful to the OP, you can simulate the
> same thing with your own eye to help get the hang of
> what's happening.
>
> Just put the tips of your forefingers and thumbs together;
> then bring your hands together so that a tiny "pinhole"
> exists.
>
> Then look through the "pinhole" - perhaps at your monitor,
> try to read print on the screen. Squeeze your fingers
> together to vary the size of the pinhole.
>
> You won't be able to help noticing that looking through
> a tiny gap will be dimmer, but much, much crisper looking.
> And the tinier the gap is, the more pronounced both effects
> become.
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

February 4, 2005 1:09:02 PM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 04:18:03 GMT
In message <%BhMd.257819$Xk.73434@pd7tw3no>
Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi...
>
> If it's at all helpful to the OP, you can simulate the
> same thing with your own eye to help get the hang of
> what's happening.
>
> Just put the tips of your forefingers and thumbs together;
> then bring your hands together so that a tiny "pinhole"
> exists.
>
> Then look through the "pinhole" - perhaps at your monitor,
> try to read print on the screen. Squeeze your fingers
> together to vary the size of the pinhole.
>
> You won't be able to help noticing that looking through
> a tiny gap will be dimmer, but much, much crisper looking.
> And the tinier the gap is, the more pronounced both effects
> become.

Now, that is the kind of tip that would be rare to
stumble on by yourself. Decades of looking at
monitors and I never tried that. WOW...aperature
explained in one simple lesson. Now I understand
why the middle range is usually the sweet spot for
a lens.

BTW... put your hand in front of your mouth to keep
the machine dry, but did you know that you can make
a screen vibrate by giving it an intense raspberry? :-)

Jeff
!