Sign in with
Your question

Building a Web Development Server

Last response: in Components
May 7, 2011 10:09:20 AM

I am going to build a Development Web Server/Workstation. I am deciding on the hardware. I will be running

- Ubuntu Linux
- LAMP Stack (Apache/MySQL/PHP)
- Node.js
- Cloud9 IDE
- Virtual Box with Virtual Machines, for testing etc

Considerations:

- Heat: Air Con on during Office Hours only
- Power Efficiency
- Performance

So I think the most resource intensive is Virtual Machines. I am considering the below hardware

- Intel Core i5 2400
- Asus H67 M Pro
- Kingston PC3 10600/1333 CL9 2GB x 2 (4GB)
- Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
- Cooler Master Elite 371
- Cooler Master GX550
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
- Cooler Master Blade Master 120

What are your comments on this build? Recommend something else?
May 7, 2011 5:25:58 PM

You know, it really just depends on what kind of workloads you're going to place on this. If there are alot of complex database operations it would make sense to going with a RAID 5 array for the Hard Drives to increase speed. Realistically though this might be a bit of overkill. I'm assuming that your VMs will just be basic LAMP stack servers with your custom code loaded on them and will not have to rely on other VMs or outside servers. If you want to setup something more complicated (like Eidos Methode which includes a cacheing) then it gets a little more complicated :p .

I recommend going with 8GB. You run out of RAM fast when you're testing different DB techs and development tools ^_^. If you're going to use more than one VM at a time, then you may want to step it up to 16GB just so that workstation will have memory for some time to come. If you're going to run code with alot of disk access, I recommend a RAID 5 array, but if not then your 2TB drive is fine. You may want to mirror it anyway just in case.
m
l
May 8, 2011 6:17:35 AM

What area (how hot does it get)
Also, I know you didn't list reliability on your consideration list, but I feel obligated to at least suggest that using non-server parts does have some drawbacks in that area.
m
l
!