Radeon HD4870 bad win flash Pleas help

Jonathan bell

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hi,
Does anyone know how to get some life back into my GPU. I flashed it with winflash, big mistake and since then it won't post on boot up, then my mother board activates my onboard graphics. When I look in the device manager there is no sign of it even in the IRQ list.

I have tried using ATI FLASH -i in dos mode but all I get is NO ADAPTER FOUND.
I have tried using a old PCI graphics card to boot from but his does'nt work either again no adapter found.
I have managed to use my old Nivida PCI express card so I know my PCI BUS works ok.

I did read on a forum that you may be able to get it working if you have a Dual PCI express slot on your mother board, but as I haven't thats not for me.

Does anyone know if there is anybody out there who offers a service to fix these thing.

I don't know of any service that can fix that issue. For repairs, you will likely need to send it to the manufacturer of your video card. They'll tell you it's out of warranty and change you for the repair. I think you'd be VERY hard pressed to find someone that can fix it other than the manufacturer.

You cant really fix a bad VGA BIOS flash, is it probably bricked and you will need to send it to the manufacturer.

Why did you want to flash it in the first place, flashing the BIOS wont "bring back some life into it"

Jonathan bell

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Hi Timmy,
Its a saphire Radeon HD4870 512mb , I bought it from a friend a few months ago. :sweat:

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Ok when did your friend buy it?(if you can remember the month and year)

Sapphire VGA products carry a 2 year warranty, you should give them a call(909-594-3128) and they will ask for your Serial number on the video card and they can determine if you are still under still covered under warranty, if they issue you a RMA you need the original receipt.

(ask your friend where he bought if from cause if he doesn't have the original receipt anymore he can find it if he bought it online from like newegg, tiger direct......etc..etc by logging in to his account and look through order history)

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Sorry to here that :/ so what you gonna do? pick up HD6850/6870? If you do buy a XFX brand cause they have great service and a LIFETIME warranty!!

I own the XFX HD6850 :)

homerlvsbeer

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
At this point you have two options.

First, you can do a blind flash.
You will need a bootable USB stick, BIOS file and a bit of googling.

Alternately, if you have another PCIe 16x slot and a spare GPU, you can put your bricked GPU in the second slot, boot from the working GPU and reflash the bricked card from Windows.

Either way, it can be fixed with a little work.
Just make sure to be more careful flashing in the future.

imasifriaz

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
GPU is not being activated! Still there is a wayout!
i have done it with my XFX ATI RADEON 4870 (1GB), My GPU was overheated as its fan was stucked, by the time its temprature climbed-up to 90C.... i just keep ignoring it and by that way i have lost my GC. It runs fine but it come to accelerate, Game Crashed!
Then i prefer to downgrade its BIOS by installing ATI 4860 (512MB) ROM. After flashing the old BIOS my GC losted the display even at POST screen.
so then i decided to get back to 4870 ROM by using PCI card and reflashed it with ATIFLASH..... now it's working very fine except Gamming..... that was my 2nd XFX card, got expired. Hate u XFX........ will never go for it again