30' 2560x1600 monitor native resolution read as 720

Drhellno

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Hello,

I'm having a quite bizarre issue with my NEC Multisync LDCD3090WQXi

This is a 30" monitor with a native resolution of 2560x1600, but my Windows 7 box only wants to recognize it as having a native resolution of something like 1024 x 720. Before I go any further, here's a little background info and specs on the machine:

2 EVGA GTX 480 Superclocked's in SLI with the latest Nvidia display driver installed (260.99) although it occurs to me no SLI patch... I'll try that momentarily
i7 950 at stock speed
3 x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
4 x 1TB WD Caviar Black drives
Anteq TPOQ 1200 psu
Windows 7 64bit

I imagine that's more than enough about the parts, but if any other info might help then please let me know.

Here's a little more information about the issue:
When I start the computer, the display will often be running at 2560x1600 through post, but once I get to the windows login screen, it flashes black and displays at 1024x720 (I know this because the monitor displays the active resolution in the top right corner briefly whenever it changes).
Checking my monitor driver, I found that windows was only detecting the monitor as a generic PnP monitor. So, I downloaded a .inf file off the NEC support page, and managed to trick windows into opening it by selecting "update driver from disk". At this point device manager recognized my monitor by name, but nothing else changed.
Optimistically I rebooted, and it worked briefly: I logged into windows and my monitor continued to display beautiful 2560x1600 resolution. However, as soon as I launched S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (shadow of chernobyl) from steam, the monitor flashed black, then came back again in 1024x720. Now the screen seemed to be in some sort of locked up state, flashing a mostly black screen with parts of the steam window intermittently visible.
Next, I tried some trial and error with the power settings and the DVI connection. To my amazement, I found that the monitor will consistently go into 2560x1600 mode if I unplug the DVI cable from the video card, power off the monitor, plug the cable back in, and then power up again. Merely cycling power without disconnecting the cable sadly does nothing.
That's where I am now. I can consistently get 2560x1600 resolution by unplugging the DVI cable, cutting monitor power, and plugging back in. But playing a game (or at least Stalker) in full screen brings me back to 720. I can then fix the problem once I'm in the game, but exiting the game will bring me back to 720 again.

One more thing that might help: I'd previously used this monitor with a macbook pro and had a very similar problem: in order to display at the correct native resolution, I consistently had to disconnect the cable from the video card, turn off the monitor power, reconnect to the video card, and then finally power on the monitor.

For what I paid for this monitor, I find this deeply unsatisfying. If anybody can advise on a more permanent solution, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks for reading this overlong post.
Fond regards,

Dr. Hellno

Drhellno

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Hey all, I hope it's not the length of the post keeping you away, 'cause I'm about to make it a little worse. Feel free to skim :)

Just wanted to add: MOBO is Asus P6x58d-e

monitor is connected via the dual-link dvi-d cable that came with it. It's a pretty long cable which I heard could be an issue in terms of transmitting EDID information. Does that sound plausible?
I'm going to pick up a shorter one today as soon as the stores open to rule out both length and quality of the cable as factors, unless anyone strongly advises otherwise.

Thanks again for reading!

G

Hey there! I'm not sure but I think you might need to plug in a dual-link DVI cable. Like Dell's IPS monitors, NEC is using dual-link DVI ports. If you use a single DVI cable resolution will go down. Hope this helps.

Drhellno

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I was using a dual-link DVI-D cable, although that's a good suggestion. I found a solution yesterday though. I simply switched the cable from the dvi-d port to the dvi-i port on the monitor side. I'm not sure why that fixed the issue, but it did. Thanks for your suggestion though.