Sign in with
Your question

GTX 570 Overclocking and Scaling

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 9:41:45 AM

Hey everybody. As most of us probably know, the GTX 570 recently came out, and seems to be a very nice card. However, even though most sites don't do their overclocking and scaling reviews until a bit after the launch, those who have seem to either be incompetent, or this card is a pathetic overclocker.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1482/17/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforce_...

Quote:
Overclocking the GTX 570 was a challenge. After speaking to NVIDIA about the clock speeds to expect from this offering, the expectation was that it should overclock around the same as the GTX 580 since they are the same core. Of course every card produced will fall somewhere on a bell curve. You will have the overachievers on the far side of the curve, the underachievers at the start of the curve and all the rest falling somewhere in between on the "bell". I can't help but think that this card falls close to the underachievers side of the bell with a fully stable 53Mhz, or about 7% increase over the baseline 732MHz. The increase on the memory was just as slim with an increase 1013MHz, or an increase of 633MHz (6%). This makes this card officially the lowest overclocking "Fermi" derivative I have tested. Is this indicative of all the GTX 570s? I think not and only time will tell just how well they will do when you have the ability to tweak the voltage to the core for increased clock speeds and performance. Looking at the thermal performance of the GTX 570, it is almost a mirror image of the GTX 580 in both the temperatures delivered and the noise level of the fan. The fan and thermal solution are the same, so you get the same noise signature that is far and away better than the previous generation. Locked up tight in a case and the card is no more offensive than some of the medium-speed 120mm fans on the market when at full speed or about 3600RPM.

The only site that got a decent OC out of it was Hardware Cannucks, and that was only with extra voltage. Even then it just barely broke 10%. I mean, am i missing something here? The best part of the 570 was suppose to be that it can OC like a fiend, as in to the max 580 OC. Its a fantastic card, but this is really a bit disappointing, considering the 470 was such a good overclocker. I also havent seen really any scaling reviews. If anybody finds one or buys a 570, please feel free to add your OC.
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 9:59:05 AM

Wonder if this should be in the sticky..but meh.

Perhaps by making a 480shader product the clocks became limited.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 10:09:48 AM

shadow187 said:
Wonder if this should be in the sticky..but meh.

Perhaps by making a 480shader product the clocks became limited.

But this is even worse than the 480 if i remember correctly, not breaking 10% on the majority of sites. The averages i saw were around 800 +/- 25 MHz. It will be really interesting if the 6950 loses by 5% at stock or something, but then OC's a lot more. That would be somewhat similar to the 6850/460, but those 2 were inseperable.
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 11:09:50 AM

HD6850 > GTX460 STOCK
GTX460 > HD6850 when both full OC'd.

The problem is that the 6950 has a chance to beat the 570 at stock clocks. No one's sure yet.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 5:32:50 PM

shadow187 said:
HD6850 > GTX460 STOCK
GTX460 > HD6850 when both full OC'd.

The problem is that the 6950 has a chance to beat the 570 at stock clocks. No one's sure yet.

Well the 6850>460 by about 5% at stock, 460>6850 by about 5% fully OC'ed, and then factoring in cabling, pricing, power, and heat, and they were pretty inseperable. Atleast IMO.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2010 5:37:41 PM

Maybe Nvidia are taking a que from AMD here and are sitting on some performance for when they should need it ;) 

Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2010 5:55:09 PM

Nvmind
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_570...
Quote:
The overclocks of our card are 822 MHz core (11% overclock) and 1185 MHz Memory (25% overclock). Both overclocks are very nice and will help willing users to reach GTX 580 performance levels. Compared to previous generations it seems NVIDIA has improved their memory overclocking capability. Where the GTX 470 could only reach ~950 MHz, the GTX 570 can now reach 1185.

Quote:
The best part of the 570 was suppose to be that it can OC like a fiend, as in to the max 580 OC.

I don't agree. The forum fans argue the results from launch reviews and fight like hell to ignore o/c results (gtx 460).
The gtx 570 is currently the 2nd fastest gpu in the world. :) 
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 6:19:41 PM

Just like how so many people argued that you can NOT factor in overclocking whilst discussing the value of the HD5850, eh Notty? :lol: 
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2010 6:40:10 PM

I can see this one's going to run and run. As far as im personally concerned if a card has a huge OC potential that is as near a given then it should be taken into account. certainlt if that OC ability can lift the card up to a whole differant performance level. Like in the case of the 460.
The 5850 was good but nowhere near as goos as a 460. the last card i can remember off hand that deserved special attention was teh old x800GT02 I think it was called it was a card that was gauranteed to unlock to a full x850.

a c 535 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2010 6:41:01 PM

The impressive thing is that, while Guru3d showed an 8% performance increase for a 9% "normal" overclock on the GTX570, the temp only reached 79c @ 42dB. That amounts to an 88% scaling ratio with barely any change to the load temps and noise.

In contrast, the 6870 was able to achieve a "normal" overclock of 6% with a 4% performance increase, a scaling ratio of only 67%.

Similarly, they overclocked the 6850 by and additional 14% achieving a 9% performance increase. This amounts to a scaling ratio of only 64%.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 8:15:10 PM

17seconds said:
The impressive thing is that, while Guru3d showed an 8% performance increase for a 9% "normal" overclock on the GTX570, the temp only reached 79c @ 42dB. That amounts to an 88% scaling ratio with barely any change to the load temps and noise.

In contrast, the 6870 was able to achieve a "normal" overclock of 6% with a 4% performance increase, a scaling ratio of only 67%.

Similarly, they overclocked the 6850 by and additional 14% achieving a 9% performance increase. This amounts to a scaling ratio of only 64%.

The 6870 was and is a bad overclocker, nobody is arguing that, however it is also suppose to be the max clocked card of the lineup. If you havent noticed a trend, for the past few gens, AMD xx70 cards have been clocked higher, and xx50 cards have been clocked lower, and therefore generally OC higher from stock. The same concept applies to Nvidia. This is their lower clocked card that cant OC at all, not their higher one like the 6870 is for AMD. For a "fair" comparison, you should compare this OC to the OC's of say the 5850 or 6850, as they occupy the same type of position. For the record, most 68xx cards can hit 1000 MHz with some degree of ease right now, so even the 6870 gets 11%, something i cant or can barely say for this card.

Quote:
I don't agree. The forum fans argue the results from launch reviews and fight like hell to ignore o/c results (gtx 460).

You really will do anything to defend Nvidia wont you. Ironic how the 470 actually OC's about 20-25% core clock, where as this cant do half of that. Your calling that improved? This isnt golf, higher is better :lol: 

The reason nobody really sited the 460 for its overclocking prowess was because they didnt need to, it was so vastly superior to the steaming pile that was the 5830 it was never a question. Compared to the 5850, it depended on price, as they both OC'ed quite well.
a c 535 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2010 8:41:29 PM

ares1214 said:
For a "fair" comparison, you should compare this OC to the OC's of say the 5850 or 6850, as they occupy the same type of position.

I did compare the 6850 and focused on the second part of your thread title regarding scaling. You have a point, without tweaking voltage the GTX570 only overclocks by 9%, whereas the 6850 overclocks by 14%. When factoring in the scaling, the impact on real-world performance evens out. In addition to overclocking headroom (which varies based on the arbitrary setting used by the manufacturer), scaling is an even more important measure of the quality of a GPU because it does not vary depending on the starting clock speed.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2010 8:47:12 PM

ares1214 said:
The 6870 was and is a bad overclocker, nobody is arguing that, however it is also suppose to be the max clocked card of the lineup. If you havent noticed a trend, for the past few gens, AMD xx70 cards have been clocked higher, and xx50 cards have been clocked lower, and therefore generally OC higher from stock. The same concept applies to Nvidia. This is their lower clocked card that cant OC at all, not their higher one like the 6870 is for AMD. For a "fair" comparison, you should compare this OC to the OC's of say the 5850 or 6850, as they occupy the same type of position. For the record, most 68xx cards can hit 1000 MHz with some degree of ease right now, so even the 6870 gets 11%, something i cant or can barely say for this card.

Quote:

You really will do anything to defend Nvidia wont you. Ironic how the 470 actually OC's about 20-25% core clock, where as this cant do half of that. Your calling that improved? This isnt golf, higher is better :lol: 

The reason nobody really sited the 460 for its overclocking prowess was because they didnt need to, it was so vastly superior to the steaming pile that was the 5830 it was never a question. Compared to the 5850, it depended on price, as they both OC'ed quite well.

And your desperate to attack Nvidia, stooping to imaginary trends that only you see, this is to that, as that is to this which is parallel to Nvidia what was generation 4 in AMD.
Reminds me of that post Mactronix posted in the other thread.
Fanboy jambalaya of excuses and myths.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2010 8:51:42 PM

What is a better card. Which company hit the longest home run.
The 6870 is selling for the same price the 5850 sold at a year ago.
Its about 7% faster.
Nvidia is selling the gtx 570 at the launch price of the gtx 470 of 8 months ago, and its 20-25% faster.
Ding Ding
Winner Nvidia.

a c 130 U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 9:06:21 PM

The 6870 started at $200. You're barking up the wrong tree, notty.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 11:04:12 PM

notty22 said:
And your desperate to attack Nvidia, stooping to imaginary trends that only you see, this is to that, as that is to this which is parallel to Nvidia what was generation 4 in AMD.
Reminds me of that post Mactronix posted in the other thread.
Fanboy jambalaya of excuses and myths.

Thats nice. Try staying on topic. This is the "570 Overclocking and scaling" thread, not the "Is the 570 good" thread. Id be the first to admit it has very nice performance, but it cant OC at all, which is disappointing given its position.

Quote:
I did compare the 6850 and focused on the second part of your thread title regarding scaling. You have a point, without tweaking voltage the GTX570 only overclocks by 9%, whereas the 6850 overclocks by 14%. When factoring in the scaling, the impact on real-world performance evens out. In addition to overclocking headroom (which varies based on the arbitrary setting used by the manufacturer), scaling is an even more important measure of the quality of a GPU because it does not vary depending on the starting clock speed.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the 6850 actually OC's around 25-30% :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 11:08:13 PM

notty22 said:
What is a better card. Which company hit the longest home run.
The 6870 is selling for the same price the 5850 sold at a year ago.
Its about 7% faster.
Nvidia is selling the gtx 570 at the launch price of the gtx 470 of 8 months ago, and its 20-25% faster.
Ding Ding
Winner Nvidia.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr185/notty222/2iaa3h5-1.gif
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr185/notty222/amdprices.png

You bring up an interesting point Notty. Now, id like you to consider this. The 6850 and 5770 shared about the same launch price. And the 6850 is 30% faster. I guess that beats your 20-25% :lol: 
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 9, 2010 6:57:17 AM

While people are considering things I think factoring in that the 6850 was priced where the GTX 460 forced it to be should be taken into consideration, much like it seems the 6950 may have its price determined by the 570.
The 5770 was while a good product overpriced for what it was (UK prices)because ATI were on a roll and making up some lost revenue's from years past while they could, making hay while the sun was shining so to speak.
The 6850 is a good product that is cheaper than it otherwise would be thanks to some decent competition at last from Nvidia.
Its just a win win situation for consumers at th emoment, world money worries aside we are at last getting some really good hardware at reasonable prices.

a c 130 U Graphics card
December 9, 2010 8:51:08 AM

Overpriced? The HD4870 was $150 when it was in its prime. The HD5770 was, guess what? $150. Just like the 5770 the 4870 had models that went for $160, $170, and those were better custom cards. Overpriced? The 5770 offered MUCH better overclocking, MUCH lower power consumption, MUCH lower thermals, and DX11 (eyefinity/that jazz).

But since you're comparing UK prices; that's decently cherrypicking considering most everyone bases prices off of USD.

Also, consider that the GTX570/GTX580 might end up having their prices determined by the HD69XX series this time around.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 9, 2010 9:59:26 AM

shadow187 said:
Overpriced? The HD4870 was $150 when it was in its prime. The HD5770 was, guess what? $150. Just like the 5770 the 4870 had models that went for $160, $170, and those were better custom cards. Overpriced? The 5770 offered MUCH better overclocking, MUCH lower power consumption, MUCH lower thermals, and DX11 (eyefinity/that jazz).

But since you're comparing UK prices; that's decently cherrypicking considering most everyone bases prices off of USD.

Also, consider that the GTX570/GTX580 might end up having their prices determined by the HD69XX series this time around.

I'm in the UK which is why I used UK prices and pointed out as much because I know price points vary around the world, not cherry picking just using what i Know rather than using review pricing which may be a ways out. The USD isnt the only currency in the world you know and its a bit much for people to try and suggest we should all use it when discussing prices on these boards. is there a rule about it ? No didn't think so.

Why are you even bringing the 4870 into the equation ? Its a different performance bracket, X7XX to X8XX. So we should be grateful that a X7XX card now costs what a X8XX card did ? Do you even know what the cards UK pricing was ? The card should have easily outperformed the 4870 but it didn't not conclusively. It was 25% better than the very first X7XX card and cost twice as much, call that value do you ? You need to realise that as the performance of these cards increases, such as the 57XX being nearly as good as the 48XX cards so should the point at which a card is deemed to be in a certain performance bracket. If you keep saying well it performs like the last series X8XX card then where does it stop? Next generation we will get a X6XX card that performs like the 5770 did so we will charge the same for that, then a X5XX etc.

I guess AMD could crater the 69XX to try and make Nvidia do the same with their cards but we all know who would win that game, and they would end up hurting sales of other cards they are still making.

a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2010 10:03:47 AM

The 5770 got a resounding meh from me. Lower thermals, all that fun stuff, but not really as good performance at the same price. It was a trade off.
!