Your question

3*470GTX and 450GTX PhysX

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Physx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2010 9:53:55 AM

Hello,I was wondering can you get 3*470GTX and a 450GTX to run on a X58 UD7 Gigabyte ?? and how would I configure the cooling then would I need water cooling to get the space open and then what blocks would you recommened with the 470 and 450 then thxs

More about : 470gtx 450gtx physx

December 8, 2010 1:05:13 PM

Water cooling in a multi GPU set up will be very difficult to configure and maintain. Stick to air cooling.
Any mother board with 4 PCIE 16x sized slots that supports SLI will support 3 470's and a 450 for PhysX.
Honestly speaking, you dont NEED that sort of GPU muscle for pretty much anything.
Whats the rest of your rig? And your screen(s)?
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 4:06:04 PM

honestly something like GTX460 SLI already more than enough to play most games at max setting at 1920x1200/1080 or 2560x1600. 470 SLI will pack some serious horsepower already so why did you need to run 3 of those? did you play with nvidia 3d surround? other than that i think 470 in SLI is powerful enough to handle game that need dedicated physx so i don't think you're going to need GTS450 as a dedicated physx card :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 665 U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 5:10:54 PM

It seems the Gigabyte UD7 motherboard has 3 PCIex16 slots and 1 PCIex8 for PhysX, but the three dual slot graphics cards likely won't fit along with a dual slot PhysX card:

"Overall I approve of how the PCIe slots are arranged on the X58A-UD7. I do like having 4 physical x16 slots even if they are only x8 electrical. However, in reality you only have 3 usable x16 slots due to the high-performance cards utilizing dual-slot heatsinks and the spacing of the PCIe slots. Instead of that unusable PCIe x8 slot I'd have preferred a PCIe x8 slot where the 2nd PCIe x1 slot is. This way you could at least run 3 dual-slot cards and a single slot Physx GPU. This might come off as a bit silly, I won't deny that, but it would have been a nice option"
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1210/2/

"While the four physical PCI-E x16 slots are a welcome addition, we would have liked to see greater spacing between them so that four dual-slot graphics cards could be used on this motherboard."
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

You might want to check out this Guru3d.com "Rig of the Month" from September. It features quad-SLI with waterblock cooling on a EVGA SR-2 motherboard:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/guru3d-rig-of-the-month-s...
m
l
December 8, 2010 6:24:26 PM

Hi there all thanks for the Info think I will hang with the physX then and just run the 3 470 then am waiting for my package to arrive anyday now with my UD7 was just wondering think I will sell the 450GTS then and get a new case to house it all nicely one I have a bit small for the water cooling really ths again
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 7:06:37 PM

Why do you really want a dedicated physX card, when you already have 3 470's? The vast majority of the time, that dedicated physX card will do nothing for you. The times it might help, it will not make much of any improvement. PhysX will work off one of the 470's just fine when you do need it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2010 7:35:11 PM

LOL I just wanna let everyone know that I own 15 of the new GTX 580's. Can I SLI them all at once? Or should I shelve a couple? - Just kidding. Though I wonder sometimes why people come here to tell everyone about the overkill they have in their system.

GTX 470 x 3 is way more than anyone should need right now. :)  Three of those will easily handle any PhysX you throw at your system. Mafia 2 + PhysX runs perfectly fine @ 1920x1080 with a single GTX 470 + GTX 260 PhysX. Let alone two or three GTX 470's.

H3LL: Make sure your case has adequate ventilation and cooling. Because 3 GTX 470's is going to put out some significant heat unless they've all got custom coolers on them. In that case, if they exhaust internally, it might be even more of an issue for good ventilation.
m
l
December 14, 2010 11:58:47 PM

Thanks all for the replys I am looking at getting 3d surround on this rig as soon as I have the money for the monitors, Q is would a 950W Corsair have enough power to drive the UD7 and the 3 Sli cards ???

Thanks again all
m
l
December 15, 2010 10:13:50 AM

Wow, ... just wow.

The guy is asking a specific question, and some of you choose to question "what he needs"?

H3LL, maybe try this topic at a forum that is actually conducive to hardware enthusiasts, who build, overclock, watercool, and overkill for the fun of it. Obviously these guys are taking a "sensical" approach, and that's fine and good, but to me and plenty of other hardware enthusiasts it's a pretty limp-wristed way to be when it comes to enjoying a killer rig.

No, you don't need to mod your Mustang or 350z to get 11s in the quarter mile, as you can get point A to point B with the vehicles stock... but where's the fun in that?

Maybe check into XtremeSystems, hardforums, nvnews and rage3d. I have a feeling you'll only get more of the same on this topic here. It sounds to me like your rig could be quite awesome, and I'd certainly like to see some pics or footage of it. :) 
m
l
December 22, 2010 12:46:25 AM

Hi there Youngster

Ahh some one that has the fun I am looking for Guys I have a 1500W thermaltake on order I have a Lian Li P80 for cooling in there and SPACE and will be getting the 3 120Hz Monitors the reason I HAVE 3 CARDS (love that case)

Youngster will hope to see you on the POWER OCs forums for some tips and tricks Ahh Am looking at water blocks for the 470GTX have any tips there ??
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 1:06:14 AM

At this point, with the new releases, you may want to reconsider the 470's and go with 580/70's. I still don't think a dedicated physX card will buy you any gains 99% of the time when you will already have 3 high end cards.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 4:02:55 AM

do you already have these video cards? if not you should go with what bystander suggested and get newer cards. you would be better off with 2 faster cards than 3 older 470's. Also +1 to the not really needing a dedicated physx card with 3 x 470's, you will gain nothing from it. If your going to waste your money like that it may aswell be on beer or something......
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2010 11:29:09 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
do you already have these video cards? if not you should go with what bystander suggested and get newer cards. you would be better off with 2 faster cards than 3 older 470's. Also +1 to the not really needing a dedicated physx card with 3 x 470's, you will gain nothing from it. If your going to waste your money like that it may aswell be on beer or something......

^1 BEER
m
l
!