Flashing my bios

MadHuffy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
If I flash my bios in the ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility does it matter if my Flash drive is formated to NTFS? I know it won't work under a DOS environment.

Insert the USB flash disk that contains the latest BIOS file to the USB port, then launch EZ Flash 2 by pressing Alt + F2 during POST or by entering the BIOS > Go to Tools menu > Select EZFlash 2 and press enter to enable it.

Remember to use a flash drive that is formatted FAT/FAT32 and also rename the file to a short file name such as 1804.ROM Also you have to extract the .ROM file from the .zip file the BIOS downloads from, EZ-Flash does not support ZIP files.

Highly recommend backing up the current BIOS by hitting the B key, name it something like 0210.ROM, so you can go back to it if needed.

Takes a minute to re-formate it MadHuffy : )

Make sure the USB flash drive is formatted as FAT/FAT32.

http://superuser.com/questions/298841/updating-asus-bios-on-windows-7-64bit

MadHuffy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
-bangs my head against a hard surface- lol. I updated my bios but sadly my hard drive issue is still there. I honestly don't get it. I honestly want to think its my hard drive but that doesn't explain why it won't see the other hard drive we had connected to it. >_> I'd hate to have to take the board out and take it back to get another. But thats pretty much the conclusion I'm coming to. Not like I have anything to lose by doing so. Thank you guys for the help so far.

MadHuffy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

ASUS M5A99X EVO
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA3

I've tried all the ports. It doesn't even show on the Bootable devices in the BIOS when you set which device to boot from. When its plugged into a SATA6 port it doesn't show as present.

My father think it has something to do with the controller on the board, which I'm starting to think it is as well. I'll probably end up taking the board out and putting it back in the box and truckin' back down to where I got the board and replacing it with a new one and hope that one works better. Which is a shame really. Everything else has worked on this board except for this.

1. In the BIOS Load Optimized Defaults; manual see 3-29

2. Use only the AMD SB950 SATA3 ports as below:
AMD SB950 controller :
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray

CPU:
SATA Ports
| JMicron | JMicron | ; Black (don't use)
| SATA6G_5 | SATA6G_6 | ; Gray
| SATA6G_3 | SATA6G_4 | ; Gray
| SATA6G_1 | SATA6G_2 | ; Gray

3. Place the WD HDD (Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB) on SATA6G_1 (closest to PCB/MOBO)

4. Place the ODD (DVD) on SATA6G_5 (closest to PCB/MOBO)

-- Failure ---

A. Try a Clear CMOS; manual see 2-15, and watch this video (confirmation is loss of Date and Time); see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0
BIOS Load Optimized Defaults; manual see 3-29

B. If that fails then create a bootable CD/DVD of Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD), then boot off the CD/DVD to check the WD HDD use either the Quick or Extended Test.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=30&lang=en

Let me know.

MadHuffy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Will USB Flash drive be okahy to run the diagnostic from?