Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 Experience

Last response: in Windows 8

How has your experience with Windows 8 been?

Total: 41 votes (13 blank votes)

• Extremely Well
  • 54 %
  • Fairly well, with some teething issues
  • 15 %
  • Went back to another OS, will use again
  • 22 %
  • Absolutely Horrible, will never use again
  • 11 %
January 10, 2013 12:40:18 AM

A few weeks ago I went back to Windows 7 from Windows 8. Not because of it's UI, but because Windows 8 was unstable for me and Windows 7 gamed much better. I will probably it use again at some point, maybe even install it onto my SSD when it arrives tomorrow. I'd like to know everyone else's experience, such as stability and performance. Overall, I liked everything about it more than 7 except for it's instability and how Windows 7 beats it at the games I play. I had at least 20 BSODs in my 2 months of using it. I've only had 2 with Vista, none with Windows 7. Windows 8 is a new OS, and this is understandable BUT I want to know if others faced the same issues I did, or if it was just my computer and Windows 8 is fine overall.

More about : windows experience

a b * Windows 8
January 10, 2013 1:31:40 AM

I do not get your issues. Games play fine for me. I've been around a long time in this forum and my experience with OS setups is very valuable to me. If I had your issues, I'd be the first to say this OS is BS never install or use it. But now using the retail I'd never go back to 7. If U'R using an older system or parts, we cannot use those old drivers or we_R in for a heck of a lot of BSODS. Windows 8 will install drivers that will work fine without them. We want all the drivers to have those tools we use with our expired OS, and in doing so they mess with the syntax. Messing with this speech that computers use create difficulties for the OS and hardware. I suppose this is why my experience is pleasing.
January 10, 2013 1:37:31 AM

What? games are not good on win 8?
man toms hardware already proved that windows 8 is better in gaming than 7
there must be other problem
Related resources
January 10, 2013 1:40:52 AM

I was probably just gonna reinstall it tomorrow anyways onto my new SSD. Avast gave me severe issues at first, (moved me to the better AVG) then I don't know what else caused my other BSODs, probably my overclock being unstable. Windows 8 would probably benefit more from an SSD since it's overall faster, and uses less disk space.
January 10, 2013 1:59:40 AM

I would go forward with that install. Windows 8 should be ultra stable.

BTW...When you do install it you may want to check out Star Dock's site. They have a lot of cool programs for windows 8. They have one which will load to the desktop on the boot and give you your 'START' button back.

They also have other programs to customize the Metro Interface.

(Start 8 and Decor8)

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

http://www.stardock.com/products/decor8/

a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
January 10, 2013 2:05:32 AM

montosaurous said:
I was probably just gonna reinstall it tomorrow anyways onto my new SSD. Avast gave me severe issues at first, (moved me to the better AVG) then I don't know what else caused my other BSODs, probably my overclock being unstable. Windows 8 would probably benefit more from an SSD since it's overall faster, and uses less disk space.

Windows 8 has a built in anti-virus. There's no need to install a second one
January 10, 2013 2:25:31 AM

Pinhedd said:
Windows 8 has a built in anti-virus. There's no need to install a second one

I don't trust that Windows Defender will do an adequate job. It's not like I pay for AVG anyways
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
January 10, 2013 2:32:05 AM

montosaurous said:
I don't trust that Windows Defender will do an adequate job. It's not like I pay for AVG anyways

Windows Defender does a decent job. The best antivirus however, is a smart user.
January 10, 2013 2:34:52 AM

Pinhedd said:
Windows Defender does a decent job. The best antivirus however, is a smart user.

Haha I won't disagree with that at all. My dad once got tricked into paying $700 for data recovery and a new HDD (wasn't even good) for his laptop because he had many viruses and couldn't boot into Windows.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
January 10, 2013 3:44:28 AM

Got a new laptop, y500, has had no issues. Put 8 on an old laptop to find out there were no w7 or w8 video drivers, just vista. Ati issue though. Had to tweak some old vista drivers and didn't have issues. It is noticeably faster than vista, no surprise there, but my desktop will keep 7. No point in spending money for just a new ui. Although I got a spare key from a gig, I still won't change it.

I had to teach w8 to people, surprisingly mostly old people, and they picked it up quickly. It was on touchscreens though so I know the different feel touchscreens are compared to mouse+kb. One complaint I have is that division, it's like 2 os's in one. I never use metro with a mouse but metro is easier with touch so end up switching between both on a touchscreen.

The big issue I have is turning off uac does not turn off uac. Turning it off completely makes metro apps not work.

MSE is fine.
January 10, 2013 7:24:32 AM

When I went into Best Buy today, the whole assortment of Windows 8 laptops were on display, and 3 of them were froze, two displaying errors.

On the usability side, it really seems like the operating system (and even the industry as a whole) is geared towards "normal people", and less towards enthusiasts, like many of us here.
January 10, 2013 7:29:24 AM

been using 8 since developer preview, only issue i have ever had is that picture and video app will not lauch due to my awkward resolution, for some reason win8 does not pick up the native resolution on my TV which is 720p or 1080i, so i have to force a resolution which is like 1302x732, odd but works.
January 10, 2013 2:45:50 PM

I noticed no difference in usability (I pinned all the start menu items to the start screen) Desktop is still the primary UI, and will be for awhile. Personally, I like it better other than it's instability, which I care most about. It's not Windows 8's fault, nor the developers. We'll have to wait until new drivers come out for it. I say give it a year and it'll be just as, if not more stable than 7.
January 14, 2013 2:28:58 AM

My wife and I have been running Win8 on our new HP Envy laptops and have had no trouble whatsoever. It does take a bit of time to learn the ins and outs, but I am finding it much easier to get around in than previous versions. There are many improvements and additions. I installed a huge game (Blacklight Retribution), just to see how it would handle it and the video is smooth and fluid. Of course, this is mainly due to the NVidia Geforce card, the memory and the I7 proc, not so much the OS.
January 14, 2013 3:51:21 AM

I have had my Hp with Win8 on it for two months now and I really like it. I used Windows 8 CP for a lil while back in June. I didn't really like it then. But the mouse I was using was a crappy lil egg-shaped thing that had a ball on the top of it. Very awkward for Win8. But on my laptop, the fact that I can use the touchpad with multi-touch and gestures made things much easier.

As far as games go... I have Dead Space 1 and 2, Dishonored, Need for Speed: Shift and Most wanted, and Skyrim. I can turn the graphics up all the way for all of them and there is no lag. So gaming definately shouldn't be an issue.

Boot up time is also significantly decreased. I have gotten used to how fast mine boots up, then I used my dad's with Windows 7. Needless to say I have been spoiled with the speed of this one.

There were a few things that were a lil bit annoying when I first started on it. Like the start screen, as pretty as it is, took a bit to get used to. There are also many "shortcuts" that I used to use that no longer work. And I can't forget the lack of driver support for some devices. But I'm sure that they will get around to it.

All in all, I think Win8 is a great OS, especially on a laptop or tablet.
January 14, 2013 3:53:13 AM

Me and my brother are using an i3 - Ivy bridge 3rd gen desktop. Installed NBA2k13 (HIGH Grapx), Assassin's Creed (HIGH Grapx), Need for Speed (HIGH Grapx), Dota 2 (HIGH Grapx), Skyrim (Med Grapx), Crysis (Med Grapx) Alt-tab(bing) between 2 applications. It's all good. :D 
January 14, 2013 4:52:57 AM

I really like Windows 8. Tho I really do like getting the latest and greatest and modding it and all that.

I didn't install a new start Menu, it wasn't really needed. But the start screen and apps was pretty useless. The mail app is nice, but i spend 99% of my time on the desktop, and 99% of the Start Apps are pretty much sht, I use Desktop Skype and messenger since the Start 1nes suck so bad. On the flip side it looks really sleak, the dual monitor support is rather nice. Given some time it will be a good OS, or mabby we need a windows 9, since this is the first of its kind, like Vista was to 7.

It's deff faster OS, and very reliable. I LOVE the troubleshooting and fixing options, whenever you have an issue you can almost always fix it with the boot disc.
January 14, 2013 3:17:33 PM

The reason I use Windows 7 is it has trouble running some older games that I like to play and Windows 7 is still much more stable than Windows 8. Microsoft doesn't want to release Service Packs anymore, but they need to. Windows 7 SP2 and Windows 8 SP1 should come in late 2013-early 2014 IMO. I like 8's improvements and UI, just like I liked Vista's improvements and UI. BUT program incompatibility and instability kill the deal, just like it did for most people with Vista. Windows 8 is also selling like Vista, so it's not unfair to compare the two. They are similar in many ways. Both are the "tick", While Windows 7 and Windows "9" are the tock. While the tick is better in Hardware, in software it isn't.
January 15, 2013 1:50:36 PM

I bought a TS pc with win 7 and paid for the cheap so called update for win 8. Not to keen on dumping the old OS I made it dual boot. After setting up win 8 and using it for a month I very rarely use it any more opting for win 7.

I bought a notebook with win 8 installed and cannot create a dual boot so have not used it since setting up. Microsoft will allow reinstallation of win 7 pro but only from win 8 pro. Perhaps they have seen the light that you can take a hortse to water but you cannot make it drink. I see the notebook and pc markets have flat lined since win 8 came in do you think Microsoft will react??
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2013 2:21:21 PM

I had no issues with Windows 8 Pro WMC thus far apart from a rather silly thing that's no one to blame but Microsoft. GfWL (Games for Windows Live) games (DiRT3, F1 2010) wouldn't work because there's no GfWL redistributable installer that's compatible with it.
I had to install it in Windows 7 compatibility mode for games to work properly. An easy workaround, even though it was relatively hard to figure out since games wouldn't show any errors at all.
Other than that, it has been rock solid since the release day.
January 16, 2013 2:37:05 PM

montosaurous said:
The reason I use Windows 7 is it has trouble running some older games that I like to play and Windows 7 is still much more stable than Windows 8. Microsoft doesn't want to release Service Packs anymore, but they need to. Windows 7 SP2 and Windows 8 SP1 should come in late 2013-early 2014 IMO. I like 8's improvements and UI, just like I liked Vista's improvements and UI. BUT program incompatibility and instability kill the deal, just like it did for most people with Vista. Windows 8 is also selling like Vista, so it's not unfair to compare the two. They are similar in many ways. Both are the "tick", While Windows 7 and Windows "9" are the tock. While the tick is better in Hardware, in software it isn't.

Just out of curiousity, what games were you having trouble with? I haven't come across a problem, other than borderlands 2 skidcrow lol.
April 13, 2013 3:48:05 PM

i just loved its fast startup on my ssd just 2 secs to start :) 
and i get 43fps in win 7 most wanted 2 but in win 8 i get 47fps avg
October 9, 2013 9:06:46 AM

I have used windows 3.1 windows 3.11, windows 95,windows 95se, windows millennium, windows 2000, windows server, windows xp, Vista, windows 7, and windows 8. Windows 8 is by far the most stable of them all, I never had one single issue with windows 8, it runs all my apps, the latest games at max resolutions. It boots up in just a few seconds, has few registry issues, its much faster than previous windows, and now with the release of windows 8.1 due sometime in november 2013, should really excel windows 8 to new heights. I highly recommend windows 8, NEWS FLASH! Microsoft, is already putting together a team to write the code for WINDOWS 9. I know because i used to work at MICROSOFT. Now i work for APPLE, why? Lots more money, thats why, and i can work at home. Of course now i also use a MAC running SUSE 12.1 LINUX
!