EXCELLENT Signal Strength BUT HOPPING SPEED

indexster

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
OH MY!
Those HP & COMPACT ALL DeskTops (in 1995-2000) Computers are ALL the same...(i.e. CHEAPLY MADE)

Again my HP Pavilion a1224n is messing with my wireless card? OR vice versa. I have a Trendnet PCI Wireless card. Worked FINE for 2-3 years. This past month it Reports Excellent Signal Strength...BUT I keep losing my connection --or never get one; it intermittently was NOT able to make a network (internet) connection OR drop after connection.

HOWEVER the "SPEED" Hops 'n Hops reads 3 Mps. or 31 Mps or 11 Mps or 21 Mps ... BUT Never more than 36 Mps. I replaced the PCI card with another (never used) Trendnet=SAME THING. I have to double check if the older card was a "B" wireless or a "G" or should that matter?! (I DO mostly get a connection using Chrome; and we KNOW WHY...Right? It would load at 1Mps !

I've moved this computer from a distance of 12 feet from the server and 20 feet from the Server and it makes NO DIFFERENCE

As Always
and I Deliver myself totally to y'all- to ask: "HELP!" Anyone?!

Dave in Atlanta

G

Wireless b cards are redundant -- the speed issue may not be all that relevant, depending on the speed of your internet feed but there are sometimes compatibility problems with wireless g or later routers.

Particularly if you are in an location surrounded by other wifi networks you might want to run through this checklist:

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

indexster

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Wireless b cards are redundant -- the speed issue may not be all that relevant, depending on the speed of your internet feed but there are sometimes compatibility problems with wireless g or later routers.

Particularly if you are in an location surrounded by other wifi networks you might want to run through this checklist:

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

No--I have my notebook 5 feet from the failing card. It's working fine. Actually HOW CAN a wireless connection be "Excellent" if it's got a speed of 21 ?!
Right now the readings are much the same and it's WORKING-using Chrome has helped my internet connection (low overhead on that Chrome !

Dave In Atlanta

KingArcher

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Thought I'd add 2 more points.
Make sure the antenna is securely connected to the PCI card.
Make sure the drivers are the latest as well.

Is the desktop's back facing a wall? Is it placed inside a desk?

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Obstruction weakens the signal, well it makes a lot of difference the choice of routers and wireless card but you should also deal with obstruction. If your router and wireless card has an antenna check to see it is well tighten. Sometimes the wireless card or router has a software to check on this too, please use it.