Computer not detecting GFX card

G

Not too long back I was watching a film when the screen suddenly went black and the computer rebooted itself.
Upon reboot I had to plug a VGA cable directly into the motherboard to get any picture on screen, since this has happened Ive ordered and installed I have a brand new motherboard and Graphics card but still the issue continues.. I'm baffled, could it be the PSU?

i3-530
MSI GTX460
Asus P7H55-M.

Many Thanks

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
So you replaced the motherboard and graphics card after this happened? Sorry your sentence has a typo and I didn't follow clearly.

Seems like if you did, then the problem is maybe not enough power. What PSU do you have?

G

Sorry about that. The motherboard and GFX card are brand new, yes. The computer still boots as normal, but the GFX card cannot be detected at all.

PSU is an Arctic Power 500w, just gone and fetched a 750w and gonna give it a try now.

G

Still no luck. So, here's the run down so far.

Screen randomly went black, since then no GFX card can be detected.
Reinstalled Windows.
Installed NEW motherboard.
Installed NEW GFX card.
Installed NEW 750w PSU.
Tested known working RAM from another PC.

Still this f*cker refuses to detect my GFX cards. :(

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Go to your bios and disable on board video and restart, if that doesn't work and your stuck w/o video from the board and GFX just remove the cell battery from the board and unplug your PSU for 10-20secs to reset bios to Default so you can use the on board video again.

You should also check to see if your board supports that GFX, I can see its a new up to date board but some Nvidia cards don't like all Motherboards from older posts that i have seen.

G

Thanks, will give that a try now.

The odd thing is that this setup has worked for the past 3 months, all of sudden its stopped working.

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Well give that a try and if you still cant get the GFX to work i would try another GFX in that PCIe slot to make sure the slot didn't die/broken.

OR

If you have another PCIe 6pin power connector for the GFX then try it and even try a 4pin to 6pin adapter cause your main 6pin connector from your PSU might have gone bad.

G

Unfortunately, still nothing.
The fans spin on the card but that's it.

This is a brand new card, delivered today, in a brand new board, delivered today. I'm literally pulling my hair out with this >_<

G

The problem is, as the hardware can't be found, it wont install any drivers.
Even if I download the correct drivers, it still closes the installation as the card cannot be found.

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Well he cant even get a boot screen and during that time drivers aren't needed till windows is loaded so he should still be able to see the post screen if hes using his GFX card.

Have you tried using a different GFX? and can you try a friends/family's computer to see if it will boot?

G

I really appreciate the replies, thanks :)

I can boot into windows using the on-board VGA.

Ive tried 2 motherboards, both Asus P7H55-M.
2 Graphics cards, GTS450 and GTX460.

It wouldn't p*ss me off so much if I could at least point my finger at a particular component and then sort out replacing it.

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
If you've replaced the PSU, GFX card, MB, then the only thing left is your Harddrive. I'm suspecting you have something corrupt on there that is causing an issue with the drivers for your card.

Run checkdsk to see if it finds anything on your harddrive that is corrupt.

BTW, I know ATI has catalyst that you can install regardless if you have the card or not, it just won't do anything. Nvidia doesn't have something like that?