$500 Gaming/Web PC | First Build

swizzle62

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
First off, I want to thank all of you crazy people who read these things and help people like me out, thats pretty awesome.

Current System: Hopefully this is even useful but i am currently running a WindowsXP from 2005 with a intel Core2 CPU @ 1.86ghz and 2gig ram. Dell prebuilt. I play CSS with the lowest quality game settings at 11 - 50 FPS depending on the map and whether or not i am looking at a wall.

I am newer to computers, I took a basic college course last term and have learned everything else via the internet. There are plenty of things i don't understand so it would be much appreciated if some reason for parts were explained - if its too complex and not worth explaining i understand, thanks still. This is my first build, I have a friend helping me put it together too.

FORM

Approximate Purchase Date: Not in a rush

Budget Range: Between $500-600 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Internet use, Youtube/Forums Mainly - Gaming (CSS, Magicka, L4D2)

Monitor Resolution:1280x1024

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference although newegg seems to be the best. (Free shipping/Rebates)

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences:
Hard Drive: I Really don't need much space I honestly think a 320 or so is more than enough if they sell those.
CD/DVD Drive: Yes.
RAM: You guys probably know the amount I should get better than me, depending on the CPU of course.
Mobo: Up To you guys; Does USB 3.0 Help a lot towards what I want?

CPU: I multitask a lot. Play a Youtube video while in game and 10 tabs open on Firefox. Does that mean a Quad-Core would be more suitable even at a lower clock speed. But Quad cores i see are typically AMD while Intel is talked about having better chips anyways. I don't know.

Case screws with me, i could care less about looks or size or whatever but i am unsure of how to know whether it will all fit.

Video Card also screws with me. I guess this allows for more detail but i don't understand 1gb vs 512meg ect. I originally though a processor and ram is what you need to run a game efficiently.

Overclocking: Maybe? Never have done this, Understand the concept and would love to learn and do as long as its not super time consuming and safe. Maybe i could get a CPU where the max multiplier is known and set it a little below that to be safe.

Additional Comments: Overall I want a reliable computer; that meets my needs. I'm currently using a pretty crappy PC so its not the biggest deal if I don't run L4D2 at insane frame rates with full graphic features on. I would rather not deal with cheap off brand ram that would blow up on me (not literally) or anything in that sense. If its off brand and its known to work, great, but if its taking a risk i don't want to deal with that for any parts. Do you know what I mean? :heink:

Also please let me know if 500-600$ is enough to spend for what i am wanting. If there is a fantastic deal for 680$ that improves my system by a large %. I suppose i would buy that. I am just wishful thinking that what i want is between 500 and 600 :whistle:

Well this build is good enough, meaning the 450$ build in my siggy. It should handle CSS/Valve games in general really well. TBH at that resolution many cards now a days will max out 60 FPS at that resolution.

So you don't really need much graphical power to play games at that resolution and to much will bottleneck you. So the CPU power from the 925 will also give you a pretty good amount, even at stock. You can overclock if needed. It also gives you that ability to multi-task with the quad-core and has pretty decent performance on a lower end budget.

swizzle62

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
What do you think about mixing the 450 & 600$ builds components?

So
ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (90$)
AMD Phenom II X4 945 $134.99
Graphics:The PowerColor 4830 60$
Rosewill Destroyer (which comes with 3 fans 120mm) $50
Samsung F3 500gb HD ($50)
G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 4gb (2x2gb) 50$
Antec NEO ECO 520w 80+ PSU 60$

Would that run better/good?

That Totals at $495 without a CD/DVD.

Exactly the Price I was wanting. The point of mixing or upgrading it slightly is because of more named/reliable stuff and in case of future things I may get. Who knows i may get carried away and get Black Ops. Would the Graphics card run it decently?

That sounds good, if your willing to even add a little more go for the 1TB F3 and the 955 BE. That should be any extra 20 but you'll get a better performing CPU (in some cases) and a bigger hard drive. I think it'd last in Black Ops. You should be able to run black ops at that resolution seeing that this benchmark shows a 5770 can run it at 1920x1080 with no AA and still max out.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1067/pg8/xfx-radeon-hd-5770-single-slot-review-call-of-duty-black-ops.html

I wouldn't see why the 4830 couldn't max out at that resolution.

swizzle62

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I wont need the 1 TB for sure because I've only used 50gig at this current moment on the pc i got now.
I Suppose i will get the 955BE since its only a 15$ increase. Thanks a lot Shinobi!

So this is what i got, I'm hoping one other person can check off this build too!

Ex1.bmp.jpg

Ex3.bmp.jpg